Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish product do you miss the most when you travel abroad?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

If in the UK, Tayto/King crisps, white pudding, Superquinn sausages.

If elsewhere in Europe, Tayto/King crisps, white pudding, Superquinn sausages, cheddar cheese, instant coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

fmpisces wrote: »
    I lived in Portugal for several months years ago and the one thing I missed was a decent sausage! All I could get were these very pink "sausages" that just did not measure up to the real Irish sausage.
    Other than that the food was gorgeous.

You mean the Irish style "sausages" that contain soy, rusk, breadcrumbs and sawdust?
    You won't find those in Europe, because anyone trying to sell these would have been put in the stocks on the market place and pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for selling rubbish like that.
    You'll have to make do with several hundred types of sausage ranging from smoked to fresh with a wide variety of flavors (even though these flavours don't come from a bottle). ;)

If anyone misses proper Irish "bread", a block of Styrofoam tastes the same. As for soda bread, anything that doesn't use yeast as a raising agent is a scone and never bread.

Breakfast Roll or fry-up, thankfully not available.

Guinness, well, never my cup oft tea.

Speaking of tea, when they make the proper tea, they sweep up at the end and put that into Barry's and Lyon's.

And a picture of a lot of colorful chemicals was posted earlier, you get that here as well, but it doesn't qualify as food. That's just e-numbers wrapped up in plastic. :D

Ich hole meinen Mantel...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^^

Angus Von Bismarck apprentice.

Good effort but you need to work on your condescension. B-

You mean the Irish style "sausages" that contain soy, rusk, breadcrumbs and sawdust?
    You won't find those in Europe, because anyone trying to sell these would have been put in the stocks on the market place and pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for selling rubbish like that.
    You'll have to make do with several hundred types of sausage ranging from smoked to fresh with a wide variety of flavors (even though these flavours don't come from a bottle). ;)

If anyone misses proper Irish "bread", a block of Styrofoam tastes the same. As for soda bread, anything that doesn't use yeast as a raising agent is a scone and never bread.

Breakfast Roll or fry-up, thankfully not available.

Guinness, well, never my cup oft tea.

Speaking of tea, when they make the proper tea, they sweep up at the end and put that into Barry's and Lyon's.

I couldn't disagree more with everything it that post. All the above I could not be without and miss them greatly when away for even a week (hence I bring Barry's gold blend tea bags with me and in the past we have brought vacuum packed sausages, pudding etc when going on holidays). Its close to impossible to get a decent breakfast outside Ireland and the UK who make a reasonable attempt. Its almost impossible to get a decent sandwich outside of Ireland and the US who do have some great sandwich places (even the UK don't have proper delis).

I couldn't disagree more with everything it that post. All the above I could not be without and miss them greatly when away for even a week (hence I bring Barry's gold blend tea bags with me and in the past we have brought vacuum packed sausages, pudding etc when going on holidays).

Lol. I can just imagine it. No need to be eating that foreign muck when you've got your vacuum packed sausages I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

• The Tay for sure,
    • Bread also,
    • The spuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

white pudding and chicken fillet rolls
    tea too, but yorkshire tea isnt too bad a substitue

^^^^^

Angus Von Bismarck apprentice.

Good effort but you need to work on your condescension. B-

Well, I am seeing it from the other side.
    Came over to Ireland in the 90's and was horrified.
    One type of bread (white sliced), one type of tea (well, 2 brands), coffee was Maxwell House, one type of sausage (ingredients: 30% rusk), one type of cheese and sauce where I come from does not come from a bottle. Ketchup yes, but sauce is something that involves a long and complicated cooking process.
    Recipe for everything was "throw in pot and boil till definitely dead" and the zenith of Irish cuisine was the Snack Box.
    Beer was Guinness (nothing against Guinness, but it doesn't like me), Horse Piss and Chemical Waste.
    It was quite a culture shock. I will never recover from it.
    Actually we need a second thread.
    "Things that horrified you when you came to Ireland". It will feature the same products.
    (c'mon, I'm just slightly taking the proverbial here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

McCrack wrote: »
    Thats some amount of ****e to be eating

That's to last me a few months though.
    It's a bit costly to get stuff shipped over here, so I only do it every so often.
    I don't eat snacks in general over here, so it's just a little treat and piece of home to look forward to now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Do they sell raw milk in Tesco?

They do in Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street, Dublin.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If someone could deliver a proper chicken fillet roll (spicy, lettuce, mayo and sweetcorn) to a pregnant lady in north London that would be fantastic. :)

Patww79 wrote: »
    I think they're the ones he meant, though it's unlikely there's sawdust in them.

You really are very cosmopolitan though. You should be proud of your life.

Common as muck, me. And living in a town in Bavaria with 3500 inhabitants. The main road sometimes closes for the cows.
    But people take beer, bread, sausages and cheese very seriously here. :D
    I remember when Budweiser was the beer sold at the 2006 world cup.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bud-kicks-up-world-cup-brew-haha/
    https://www.thelocal.de/20100623/28047

A while ago Budweiser couldn't even be sold in Germany, or called beer. It may still come under the toxic substances act...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

They really don't do 'proper' tea outside of Ireland or the UK. It always tastes a little bit off.

Irish or British style tea isn't done outside of the UK or Ireland and if so it's mainly by expats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A sidenote but the whole 'two-pour' pint thing is a myth, albeit fantastically effective marketing. The Guinness in the England used to taste different because it was brewed in England and wasn't the same stuff. It all comes from Dublin now.

The method of pouring has no effect on the taste of a pint, how on earth could it? Every now and then you meet an honest barman or guinness employee who will admit it.

Less of the destroying Orish heritage. poring Guinness is something that only Irish people can do.

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Red lemonade

In fairness, that's not even real lemonade. It should be made from real lemons IMO

I couldn't disagree more with everything it that post. All the above I could not be without and miss them greatly when away for even a week (hence I bring Barry's gold blend tea bags with me and in the past we have brought vacuum packed sausages, pudding etc when going on holidays). Its close to impossible to get a decent breakfast outside Ireland and the UK who make a reasonable attempt. Its almost impossible to get a decent sandwich outside of Ireland and the US who do have some great sandwich places (even the UK don't have proper delis).

No harm in trying out the local foods when abroad. I always found it part of the experience. Also many countries don't allow you to bring in certain foods, especially meat.

Continental breakfasts can be great and the breakfasts from Canada and the US can be tasty too from my experience although it can be very sugary and heavy

I disagree about the sandwiches also, my favourite sandwich place is an Italian deli and it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

YOUR MA's homemade stew - not a product but you know what I mean, like, nothing like mammy's stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Irish farmed beef, (or wild) mussels, oysters, venison and Irish farmed lamb. That's all.

The rest of the plastic Paddy crap like tea, sandwiches, crisps, spuds, breakfast rolls etc... invasive British junk food swilled by the peasants and the ignorant that can't appreciate proper Irish food. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have to say a lot of Irish food culture dosen't sit well with me the biggest one being a fried breakfast. Maybe its just but the thought of eating fried food or any sort of substantial meal first thing in the morning just dosen't sit well with me.

Most Irish food is quite wholesome and hearty so if I was to go to a warm climate I don't think I'd be able to stomach bacon and cabbage or stew. When I'm in a warm climate I like something light and to drink I'd like something cold and refreshing like a beer or a soft drink rather than a hot drink like tea. We like our hot food here in Ireland because of our crap weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I couldn't explain it any better !
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I have to say a lot of Irish food culture dosen't sit well with me the biggest one being a fried breakfast. Maybe its just but the thought of eating fried food or any sort of substantial meal first thing in the morning just dosen't sit well with me.

Most Irish food is quite wholesome and hearty so if I was to go to a warm climate I don't think I'd be able to stomach bacon and cabbage or stew. When I'm in a warm climate I like something light and to drink I'd like something cold and refreshing like a beer or a soft drink rather than a hot drink like tea. We like our hot food here in Ireland because of our crap weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I love Irish meat, fish and dairy. It is as good as it gets. That's not to say other countries don't have good meat, fish or diary; it is that Irish lamb, beef, pig, fish and butter can't really be beaten in my opinion.

I also really like some of the drinks we do here like Chieftain or Murphy's. But then again its not like other countries can't do a good pint as well.

Advertisement