Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish product do you miss the most when you travel abroad?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Most countries sell decent milk

They do, problem is only about 3% of what's on display is fresh, the rest is UHT, there's just no demand for that here though

S03E03-V3s2thHr-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Raw milk? I think you mean milk. I grew up with "raw milk", it's not that nice. Pasteurised milk is much more palatable and pasteurised milk in Ireland is much closer to real milk than abroad and is all the better for it.
    No, I meant raw milk. Why did you assume I meant milk?

A person mentioned above that you can find proper milk i.e. raw milk in Tesco, but I very much doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Black and white pudding.

I'm in England at the mo and it's impossible to find either. They sell the black stuff sliced up but not in the normal packaging. The white stuff is nowhere to be seen.

Try Morrisons. Some Tesco stores sell white pudding as well, depends what area you're in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Patww79 wrote: »
    Raw milk isn't proper milk.
    Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Proper tea,proper bread & when I smoked,proper fags like Carrolls or Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Soda bread. Couldn't get it, couldn't get the ingredients to make it.

Where I lived proper milk and decent cheese was available, but cost a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I live in South Korea, the last 4 years or so.

Truthfully...the products I miss are

- Tea (but I can order Barry's via a site called IHerb - so it's a non-issue, in Europe on short hols we used to bring tea with us)
    - Sausages , hard to get decent saussies in Asia, it's all Hotdog or Wursts
    - White pudding - no chance of finding it
    - Batch loaf
    - I'd say Kerrygold butter, but there are good alternatives albeit a bit expensive
    - Cheese and Onion crisps / Salt and Vinegar you can find the odd time if you're lucky
    - Cordial , cuppa soups, and decent biscuits too

I actually use a site called BritishCornerShop to get stuff sent over to keep my goin every so often.
    This arrived last week

j58ZNCb.jpg

Thats some amount of ****e to be eating

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Did anyone mention Guinness yet? Or should I say a properly poured pint of Guinness, I went to Manchester from Cork a few years ago, I ordered a pint of Guinness at the airport before leaving and there were 3 Brits at the counter as well savouring pints of Guinness :) It didn't take long to figure out why they were drinking Guinness on their departure, the Guinness in Manchester was poured straight into the glass and severed immediately, tasted like dyke water. I tried explaining to the barman about how to pour a pint of Guinness but is was a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

McCrack wrote:

Doubt it's going to eaten in one meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I lived in Portugal for several months years ago and the one thing I missed was a decent sausage! All I could get were these very pink "sausages" that just did not measure up to the real Irish sausage.
    Other than that the food was gorgeous.

Patww79 wrote: »

You can get good Guinness if you know where to go. There are always pubs that will have it decent you just need to find out which ones in your locality.

The most realiable will be rural pubs or in rural towns. But the cities have a few go to places too. I do agree though that it's hard and I just can't understand why it varies so much from place to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I always find it a bit amazing that continental countries with large dairy farming/chocolate/cheese making traditions such as France, Italy, Germany etc , parts of the states also, drink so much bloody UHT and not so much 'proper' fresh milk as we are used to in Ireland, (and the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Butter. I can put up with not having tea, and proper crisps, but I do miss proper butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Packet a King/Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Barry's tea, and I'm not even Irish ... :o

There is nothing more soothing than a mug of hot, black-as-tar Barry's with a dash of milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I always find it a bit amazing that continental countries with large dairy farming/chocolate/cheese making traditions such as France, Italy, Germany etc , parts of the states also, drink so much bloody UHT and not so much 'proper' fresh milk as we are used to in Ireland, (and the UK)

The milk in the UK is also crap.

Ordinary Irish milk tastes better than British "organic" milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Tayto
    Finches
    Homestead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

McCrack wrote: »
    I'd love to see his cholesterol and bloodsugar readings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭The Ging and I

Brennan's fresh white sliced pan, just to make a sambo !
    I live in France and the bread is a chore to eat and a joke for sarnies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I'm only after lunch ;)

I thought the sale of proper milk i.e. raw/unpasteurised milk was tightly-controlled, no?

Who said proper milk was raw/unpasteurised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

King Crisps and Murphy's stout. Irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Tyrone women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

No, I meant raw milk. Why did you assume I meant milk?

A person mentioned above that you can find proper milk i.e. raw milk in Tesco, but I very much doubt it.

Give it a break man. You tried to appear clever, you failed, just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Brennan's fresh white sliced pan, just to make a sambo!

White pans & sambos is it? you guys really need to get out & travel more. There's a whole world out there, full of different breads, sauces, chocolate bars, crisps & beer....

Mind you, while you're out there don't go on too much about white/brown pans & sambos, or you might get into a spot of trouble ;)

PS: Some of the best milk sold in the UK comes from cows who get milked on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Butter, proper butter not spread. It's hard to find decent butter on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Big pints of creamy Guinness from the pub. The cans are the same but the pints never are.

I'm living in Sweden and the steaks are crap here.
    Without pints of Guinness and nice steaks life is fairly poor I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Brennan's fresh white sliced pan, just to make a sambo !
    I live in France and the bread is a chore to eat and a joke for sarnies.
    We are in France, we literally have the best bread in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Red lemonade

Advertisement