Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish product do you miss the most when you travel abroad?

Options
  • 10-09-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

to Spain, France, England...?

What is it you can't live without that is only sold in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Proper Tea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

They really don't do 'proper' tea outside of Ireland or the UK. It always tastes a little bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

The incensed begrudgery at the success of others.

It's always a delight to see the sad fvckers stewing in their own contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

Caramel chocolate digestive biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Tea , definitely tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Black and white pudding.

I'm in England at the mo and it's impossible to find either. They sell the black stuff sliced up but not in the normal packaging. The white stuff is nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I live in South Korea, the last 4 years or so.

Truthfully...the products I miss are

- Tea (but I can order Barry's via a site called IHerb - so it's a non-issue, in Europe on short hols we used to bring tea with us)
    - Sausages , hard to get decent saussies in Asia, it's all Hotdog or Wursts
    - White pudding - no chance of finding it
    - Batch loaf
    - I'd say Kerrygold butter, but there are good alternatives albeit a bit expensive
    - Cheese and Onion crisps / Salt and Vinegar you can find the odd time if you're lucky
    - Cordial , cuppa soups, and decent biscuits too

I actually use a site called BritishCornerShop to get stuff sent over to keep my goin every so often.
    This arrived last week

j58ZNCb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The incensed begrudgery at the success of others.

It's always a delight to see the sad fvckers stewing in their own contempt.

That is human nature, not a product and not unique to Ireland.

How do you see people stewing in their own contempt, post makes you sound quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Club orange

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Depends on where I happen to be living. Some countries have decent approximations of stuff from home, others not so much.

At the moment I live in Myanmar, and probably the things I miss the most are tea, certain meat products (sausages, rashers, pudding etc) and decent dairy products (milk and butter).

[edit]Forgot about Cidona. Have never seen it anywhere else I've lived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

SeantheMan wrote: »
    - I'd say Kerrygold butter, but there are good alternatives albeit a bit expensive

I went shopping today for the first time since I moved to Kuwait and even I found Kerrygold in a random co-op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Proper milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Proper milk

Oh pls do tell where in Ireland they sell proper milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Rashers and sausages. Even in some Irish hotels, the breakfast can taste wired

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Usually the large portions of begrudgery are nowhere to be seen.

That and chipsticks.

Never see them when abroad.

Unless you meet another paddy who has brought some along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

matchthis wrote: »
    I don't like wires in my breakfast either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Going on holidays for month tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me. Tea bags are going in the bag!!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Best bet is a big shop called Tesco, there's loads of them about. There are other options but these ones tend to have the longest opening hours.
    Do they sell raw milk in Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Nothing most countries have much better food to make up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

At this stage in Germany it's hard to say I'd miss anything. After you're abroad for a while you'll settle for a decent approximation, so not too put out to eat a small bratwurst and American style bacon rather for a fry if needs be. (And have a stash of proper irish rashers and sausage in freezer for special occasions)
    The one thing I suffered with was crap butter. There was kerrygold but in most shops only unsalted. An odd place had a salted kerrygold but it was barely salted and really not much use.
    Now (since maybe 5 years ago) kerrygold have a buttery spread which has a salted version that is unbelievably popular and very easy to find. So popular that Lidl and aldi have own brand versions!
    Obviously the tea abroad is no addition but we always have a Barry's tea open with a spare box in reserve, topped up on spins to ireland or by visitors, so with that and butter catered for we are happy enough to be honest.

Tea (but I usually bring tea bags), good Guinness and all parts of a fry up. A roll from any random petrol station is also far better than the sandwiches you can get anywhere in some counties.

Patww79 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Grab an avocado there and go have a lie down.
    I'm only after lunch ;)

I thought the sale of proper milk i.e. raw/unpasteurised milk was tightly-controlled, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Do they sell raw milk in Tesco?

Raw milk? I think you mean milk. I grew up with "raw milk", it's not that nice. Pasteurised milk is much more palatable and pasteurised milk in Ireland is much closer to real milk than abroad and is all the better for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

King crisps
    Batch bread
    Sliced pan
    (Irish made) cadburys chocolate
    Tea
    Sausages
    SuperQuinn sausages
    Rashers
    White pudding
    Decent Guinness (although in fairness the rest of the world seems to have gotten its act together)
    Chipsticks

Kerry Gold (though I did find this while living in Lithuania & America, it seems to be a global brand now)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Proper milk

Most countries sell decent milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

matchthis wrote: »

Eating breakfast when you're still wired is no good

Advertisement