Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince William and Harry ad the Common Man

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

gifted wrote: »
    I've got great time for those two lads....they've had cameras in their bloody faces for every day of their lives...the press hounded their mum right up to and after her unfortunate death. They owe nothing to anyone, they come across as decent ordinary people who care for people.

They get an extravagant secure life provided for by the British people , I think they ow them something for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Wouldn't want to have a political system with a hereditary Head of State, but William and Harry seem decent enough. Picking on the wrong royals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

They get an extravagant secure life provided for by the British people , I think they ow them something for that.

Isn't their mothers death pay back enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

gifted wrote: »
    Isn't their mothers death pay back enough?

Bizarre post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

OU812 wrote: »

I'm no fan of the Royals but as Royals go they always struck me as decent enough. As in that video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

In fairness to Prince William and the wife there knocking them out at a fair rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Bizarre post.

Not in the least bit bazarre. Diana was hounded and hassled by scum paparazzi, as a reward for being a fantastic humanitarian.
    Her two sons are a credit to herself and their father.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

mattser wrote:
    Not in the least bit bazarre. Diana was hounded and hassled by scum paparazzi, as a reward for being a fantastic humanitarian. Her two sons are a credit to herself and their father.

What do they work at now do you know? William packed in the helicopter service and Harry I simply don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

bobbyss wrote: »
    What do they work at now do you know? William packed in the helicopter service and Harry I simply don't know.

Meeting randomers, shaking hands, smiling at the camera while feigning interest, only for it to be reviewed for ever more. Next day, same thing.

Genuinely, a horrific prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

bobbyss wrote: »

Why don't you pick up the phone and ring Buckingham Palace if you're so concerned, and quit acting the mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Meeting randomers, shaking hands, smiling at the camera while feigning interest, only for it to be reviewed for ever more. Next day, same thing.

Genuinely, a horrific prospect.

Yeah I think that's the height of it. William has had a bad press for doing really f... all.
    They have chosen a tough life in giving up the rescue service and army respectively.
    In fairness to them I too would swop coming under fire in Helmed Province for a life visiting the sick in hospital and opening flower shows. It's a no brainer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

humberklog wrote: »
    Harry was an Army Air Force pilot, got his wings '10 and passed his Apache training a year later. Served 20 weeks as Apache co-pilot/gunner in Afghanistan.
    There was a pretty good doc made which followed him around at the time.

I think previously to being a pilot he was a Sapper.

10 years service all the same.

When he was a ground soldier he served in forward HQs I believe and went out on patrols and saw some combat with the Taliban.

As an Apache pilot he provide close air support to troops in forward bases beseiged by the Taliban and would have killed a large number of the enemy during his tours.

A brave man who doesn't have to prove his courage to anyone.

His uncle served a helicopter pilot in the Falklands and winched the dead and injured from burning ships hit by Argentine bombs and missiles. Fires and explosion on those ships could have taken him out.

Harry and William are grand, but Kate Middleton having a stream of kids leaves a bad taste for me. I live in England and things are going to go from bad to worse with Brexit. Lavish lifestyle paid for by the taxpayer isn't something that will go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Harry and William are grand, but Kate Middleton having a stream of kids leaves a bad taste for me. I live in England and things are going to go from bad to worse with Brexit. Lavish lifestyle paid for by the taxpayer isn't something that will go on forever.

Is it cause she blanked you in favour of Big Willie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

As opposed to some bint on the dole having kids galore for example. Kate can afford it. Good luck to her.

timthumbni wrote: »
    As opposed to some bint on the dole having kids galore for example. Kate can afford it. Good luck to her.

Both can afford it because of state income.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Both can afford it because of state income.

Most of their wealth comes from Diana's side of the family and was left to them in trust when she died as far as I can gather.

Neyite wrote: »
    Most of their wealth comes from Diana's side of the family and was left to them in trust when she died as far as I can gather.

It really depends how it's spent. Security, housing and education might not come from their inherited wealth. If they pay for everything themselves then I admire them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rent a flat above a shop .Cut your hair and get a job. Smoke some fags and play some pool. Pretend you never went to school. But still you'll never get it right. 'Cause when you're laid in bed at night. Watching roaches climb the wall. If you called your Dad he could stop it all

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd assume that housing, security and the private education comes from publicly funded income and likely takes a big chunk out of their bills for them, but I would see that those kind of have to come with the job.

Here's an article that breaks down some of the figures. I'd got an idea that the Duchy income formed part of the lad's wealth all right but I do remember reading somewhere that they inherited 30million from their mother.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/where-does-the-royal-family-get-money-2017-1?r=US&IR=T

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It really depends how it's spent. Security, housing and education might not come from their inherited wealth. If they pay for everything themselves then I admire them for that.

William and Harry are supported by the duchy of Cornwall which is a set of private estates owned by the Prince of Wales that has a large income -

"The Duchy capital account has increased from £408m to £763m since 2004, and the surplus has increased £9.9m to £19m over the same period."

I'd say they aren't on the breadline anyway ;)

Advertisement