Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince William and Harry ad the Common Man

Options
  • 09-09-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

What lives they lead. William used to fly a helicopter I believe but has given that up. I am not sure what Harry does. Seems strange when William 'dresses up' in military regalia with what appears to be full medals.

There was a programme on tv a while back about volunteers building a housing scheme for charity and both made a flying visit. William seemed mortified to be there. He seemed not to be able to connect with them at all.

Among real working people, some of whom may have real medals after serving in a war, I wonder how they feel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

William used to work as a search and rescue pilot.

Considering we rightfully championed our lost coastguard pilots who died recently for their amazing work, why not William? Just because he is high-born?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The helicopter wiilliam used to fly was a search and rescue over the Irish sea similar to the one that was lost off the coast of mayo recently and he was involved in rescuing quite a few drowning people.
    He was called out in the middle of the night the same as anyone else and his wife helped out the same as any other.
    He donated his wages to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Some people should not have to look across the Irish Sea for what they believe to be a disconnect between those in office, and their public.
    The royal brothers are well in touch with their public, and a fine example for their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

bobbyss wrote: »
    I am not sure what Harry does

He is doing that young one from Suits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Harry was an Army Air Force pilot, got his wings '10 and passed his Apache training a year later. Served 20 weeks as Apache co-pilot/gunner in Afghanistan.
    There was a pretty good doc made which followed him around at the time.

I think previously to being a pilot he was a Sapper.

10 years service all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They both seem extremely well adjusted young men. William served over 7 years in the RAF. Harry was in the army for 10 years, including two tours of Afghanistan. His work with injured servicemen is to be applauded. I don't pay them much attention but any time they have been shown working with, or meeting, the public they have seemed to be very much connected with the projects and genuinely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Not my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I don't know to what extent Harry was engaged with enemy hostility when on his tour. Praiseworthy indeed of William's involvement in rescue. I do wonder whether he would have been as involved as your ordinary Joe Soap helicopter rescue officer and facing the same dangers night and day and in all weathers. He is heir after all.
    Anyone know what both of them are doing now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't know to what extent Harry was engaged with enemy hostility when on his tour. Praiseworthy indeed of William's involvement in rescue. I do wonder whether he would have been as involved as your ordinary Joe Soap helicopter rescue officer and facing the same dangers night and day and in all weathers. He is heir after all.

I heard all William flew were little remote control helicopters and the closet Harry got to combat was playing with his Action Man figures.
    Is this the answers you want ?

• Advertisement

I heard all William flew were little remote control helicopters and the closet Harry got to combat was playing with his Action Man figures. Is this the answers you want ?

I don't really know if they were both exposed to the same conditions and experiences as regular soldiers and helicopter officers. They are royals. It would be very impressive if they both were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The helicopter wiilliam used to fly was a search and rescue over the Irish sea similar to the one that was lost off the coast of mayo recently and he was involved in rescuing quite a few drowning people.
    He was called out in the middle of the night the same as anyone else and his wife helped out the same as any other.

He only flew between 50-80 hours a month (compared to 160 -180) before he retired at 34 or 35. He was not called out the same as any other, due to his Royal Duties and charities that he was involved in.
    I do not know about donating his wages, but to be honest, it is unlikely he will need them with all of the free money his family get anyway.

I am not putting him or them down, i could not care about them, but do not build him up with untruths or incorrect facts. They hardly need a higher pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

But still you'll never get it right 
    'Cause when you're laid in bed at night
    Watching 'roaches climb the wall
    If you called your dad he could stop it all. 

Suckit wrote: »
    He only flew between 50-80 hours a month (compared to 160 -180) before he retired at 34 or 35. He was not called out the same as any other, due to his Royal Duties and charities that he was involved in.
    I do not know about donating his wages, but to be honest, it is unlikely he will need them with all of the free money his family get anyway.

I am not putting him or them down, i could not care about them, but do not build him up with untruths or incorrect facts. They hardly need a higher pedestal.

That's interesting about the hours. So he wasn't as fully engaged as other officers.

I am not putting him or them down, i could not care about them, but do not build him up with untruths or incorrect facts.

It sounds like you care quite a lot if you go to the extent of correcting people online tbh.

Can you prove that about his hours from a reliable source please?

I said he was called out during the night the same as any other - I doubt any other search and rescue pilot is 2nd in line to the throne and also has those duties to perform so I think it can be excused that he had a second job to do.
    There was multiple weddings and royal events he missed and his wife attended with Prince harry instead because he was working.

I find it it strange people seem to want to put him down just because of who he is instead of being glad he made an effort to help for the few years he had a chance before his royal duties took over his life.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4739000/amp/Prince-William-flies-rescue-woman-fighting-life.html

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/royal/809605/prince-william-air-ambulance-drowning-teenager-cheshunt-lee-valley-park/amp

http://www.thejournal.ie/prince-william-involved-in-irish-sea-rescue-mission-290514-Nov2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I can picture him in a mad dash out of buckingham palace at 4am. Getting dressed as he runs and trips. Katie shouts after him. " no time to explain love. Duty calls. A small child and his puppy are in danger" "oh, throw me down the helicoptor keys"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I can picture him in a mad dash out of buckingham palace at 4am. Getting dressed as he runs and trips. Katie shouts after him. " no time to explain love. Duty calls. A small child and his puppy are in danger" "oh, throw me down the helicoptor keys"

I think your mixing the
    RAF Air Sea Rescue up with the RNLI.

It sounds like you care quite a lot if you go to the extent of correcting people online tbh.

Can you prove that about his hours from a reliable source please?

I said he was called out during the night the same as any other - I doubt any other search and rescue pilot is 2nd in line to the throne and also has those duties to perform so I think it can be excused that he had a second job to do.
    There was multiple weddings and royal events he missed and his wife attended with Prince harry instead because he was working.

I find it it strange people seem to want to put him down just because of who he is instead of being glad he made an effort to help for the few years he had a chance before his royal duties took over his life.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4739000/amp/Prince-William-flies-rescue-woman-fighting-life.html

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/royal/809605/prince-william-air-ambulance-drowning-teenager-cheshunt-lee-valley-park/amp

http://www.thejournal.ie/prince-william-involved-in-irish-sea-rescue-mission-290514-Nov2011/

Not caring about them, and correcting somebodys incorrect information are not the same thing.

I did not read your links, as i can see by the titles they are just stories about him flying to a rescue. Nor will I trawl for some that you may deem to be a reliable source.
    He was given the position, he did not necessarily earn it, nor was he proven to be more qualified than others that went for the same position, but that could be applied the World over.
    He did fly and he was involved in some rescue missions. He was not flying the same hours as the other pilots and his Grandmother gave him a helicopter as a gift, worth around €12m at the time (if i remember correctly) - that will be the wages sorted.

He seems like a great bloke, and i hope he has a good life. He is far more likely to be remembered than Jeremy Murphy in years to come. As i said, i do not wish to put him down. But i do not see the need to embellish his CV.

Not caring about them, and correcting somebodys incorrect information are not the same thing.

I did not read your links, as i can see by the titles they are just stories about him flying to a rescue. Nor will trawl for some that you may deem to be a reliable source.
    He was given the position, he did not necessarily earn it, nor was he proven to be more qualified than others that went for the same position, but that could be applied the World over.
    He did fly and he was involved in some rescue missions. He was not flying the same hours as the other pilots and his Grandmother gave him a helicopter as a gift, worth around €12m at the time (if i remember correctly) - that will be the wages sorted.

He seems like a great bloke, and i hope he has a good life. He is far more likely to be remembered than Jeremy Murphy in years to come. As i said, i do not wish to put him down. But i do not see the need to blemish his CV.

So basically you've no proof of your claims. OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd love to the fervour you put into something you actually do care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't belive that.

This is the royals we're talking about here. Many a story printed about how down to earth they are etc. All balls and pr.

I say the helicopter thing is blown out. Like he did it for 3 week's but twisted like he did it for 3 years.

When I hear William and Harry talk about their experiences in rescue and the military I would ask myself were the heirs to the throne out in dark, thundering seas rescuing sailors and on the front line under direct fire? Just like their colleagues would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

humberklog wrote: »
    passed his Apache training a year later. Served 20 weeks as Apache co-pilot/gunner in Afghanistan.
    There was a pretty good doc made which followed him around at the time.

As Frankie Boyle said: "what better way to teach Afghani civilians about democracy than have a prince machine-gun them from a helicopter"

I'd love to the fervour you put into something you actually do care about.

Will try more

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My mother met Prince Harry at a function in London a few years back. She was involved in Amnesty International at the time.

Any chance she gets she goes on about it. She loves the Royal Family and worshiped his mother.

I suppose every girl dreams of being a Princess.

My mother met Prince Harry at a function in London a few years back. She was involved in Amnesty International at the time.

Any chance she gets she goes on about it. She loves the Royal Family and worshiped his mother.

I suppose every girl dreams of being a Princess.

Just pass the bucket here real quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What lives they lead. William used to fly a helicopter I believe but has given that up. I am not sure what Harry does. Seems strange when William 'dresses up' in military regalia with what appears to be full medals.

There was a programme on tv a while back about volunteers building a housing scheme for charity and both made a flying visit. William seemed mortified to be there. He seemed not to be able to connect with them at all.

Among real working people, some of whom may have real medals after serving in a war, I wonder how they feel?
    I don't really know if they were both exposed to the same conditions and experiences as regular soldiers and helicopter officers. They are royals. It would be very impressive if they both were.
    When I hear William and Harry talk about their experiences in rescue and the military I would ask myself were the heirs to the throne out in dark, thundering seas rescuing sailors and on the front line under direct fire? Just like their colleagues would have been

You posed several rhetorical questions,secured a few equivocal answers,none of which offered much in the way of bile,and or,awareness of the ever present class struggle...and now you ask for a Bucket ?

Ah come on now....What answers would have wrapped up the thread neatly for you ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

AlekSmart wrote: »

You posed several rhetorical questions,secured a few equivocal answers,none of which offered much in the way of bile,and or,awareness of the ever present class struggle...and now you ask for a Bucket ?

Ah come on now....What answers would have wrapped up the thread neatly for you ?

Brits out , maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What do you want? Us all to lambast the two of them as useless good for nothing wastes of space?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What do you want? Us all to lambast the two of them as useless good for nothing wastes of space?

I do :pac:

Advertisement