Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince William and Harry ad the Common Man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I do :pac:

Tough so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Tough so.

Geez its just a bloody joke lighten up man :p

Why don't you go off any marry them since you're in love :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Geez its just a bloody joke lighten up man :p

Why don't you go off any marry them since you're in love :pac:

A. They are straight

B. I'm already married

C. I'm nearly old enough to be their grandfather.

D. One of them is already married.

E. My granddaughter would kill me.

F. I'm not that pushed about them but just see no harm in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bobbyss wrote: »
    That's interesting about the hours. So he wasn't as fully engaged as other officers.

So is that the answer you were looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭gifted

I've got great time for those two lads....they've had cameras in their bloody faces for every day of their lives...the press hounded their mum right up to and after her unfortunate death. They owe nothing to anyone, they come across as decent ordinary people who care for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quick question to the OP; if it isn't just another excuse to have a pop at the royals on AH, why are you bothered about the two princes? Do you live in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

blueser wrote: »
    Quick question to the OP; if it isn't just another excuse to have a pop at the royals on AH, why are you bothered about the two princes? Do you live in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

bilston wrote: »
    So is that the answer you were looking for?

I would assume that William wasn't exposed to the same dangers as his service colleagues as he is an heir. Same is true for his brother. There would be a reluctance by the royal family to have them exposed. And that's understandable.

Listening to soldiers talk about their experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq where some have lost limbs and are maimed for life is harrowing.

I am sure Harry would empathise with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Their lives are a bit of a farce, gearing up to be ceremonial hand shakers for life. I'm sure they know it and probably question it regularly.

But I suppose they're a bit like the children of farmers, publicans etc in that, from day 1, theres a sort of unspoken agreement that they are going to carry on the family business. They've been groomed for it all their lives, they're parents expect it, the nation expects it, so they're trapped. It's a nice golden cage, but it's still a cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Listening to soldiers talk about their experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq where some have lost limbs and are maimed for life is harrowing.

Considering he created the invictus games I'd say he genuinely cares about them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

gifted wrote: »
    I've got great time for those two lads....they've had cameras in their bloody faces for every day of their lives...the press hounded their mum right up to and after her unfortunate death. They owe nothing to anyone, they come across as decent ordinary people who care for people.

I wouldn't have their life. Not for all the money. Yes, they are privileged rich toffs, but compared to their counterparts- other rich offspring who grew up in similar environments, they are not the worst.

I really felt it for William's son this week. Like me and thousands of parents, their son had the first day of Big School. I took a picture of the youngster in his uniform scowling at me and sent it to his grannies, and off we went to the school. Maybe 10 people saw me. Nice and calm and a happy milestone kept relatively private to our family. William and George had to run the gauntlet of the press flash photography and catcalling a little boy to get his attention. The youngster looked very shy and a bit scared. I just had to think about putting my kids name on all his books. That family had to meet with the school, discuss security, sort out privacy and vetting and all that sh!te.

Even if they denounced their right to the throne, they'd still be hounded every step of their lives, except as a non-royal without security, they'd face what their mother did after her divorce meant she was no longer entitled to royal security protection and her life was stalked even more than it had been. So they might as well stay put and put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Considering he created the invictus games I'd say he genuinely cares about them.

Harry has really used his status very well in that case. Him taking an interest and boosting the profile of soldiers who suffered injury in war has been very powerful. I saw a tv show about amputees lately, not about Harry at all or the army, and one man mentioned that for years he'd been looked at as "oh that poor disabled man" but that people didn't see beyond that. Now since the games he feels people were much more inclined to register he'd been through something very traumatic and ask questions and be much more inclusive. He said he felt he could be proud of what he'd been through rather than ashamed.

Harry was also willing to talk about his own mental health problems and issues with grief. It's hard to quantify what difference that sort of thing makes but it was really generous I thought for him to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Harry has really used his status very well in that case. Him taking an interest and boosting the profile of soldiers who suffered injury in war has been very powerful. I saw a tv show about amputees lately, not about Harry at all or the army, and one man mentioned that for years he'd been looked at as "oh that poor disabled man" but that people didn't see beyond that. Now since the games he feels people were much more inclined to register he'd been through something very traumatic and ask questions and be much more inclusive. He said he felt he could be proud of what he'd been through rather than ashamed.

Harry was also willing to talk about his own mental health problems and issues with grief. It's hard to quantify what difference that sort of thing makes but it was really generous I thought for him to do it.

He seems very willing to do things that will help others - when he had a HIV test live on the royal Facebook page while being filmed to show everyone how simple it was, even getting his results he had that slight nervousness we all would have even though I'm sure he'd already been tested and was fine... Or more likely everyone gets tested before they get near him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I would assume that William wasn't exposed to the same dangers as his service colleagues as he is an heir. Same is true for his brother. There would be a reluctance by the royal family to have them exposed. And that's understandable.

To assume something makes an ass of both you and me. Your agenda is obvious and pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

timthumbni wrote: »
    To assume something makes an ass of both you and me. Your agenda is obvious and pretty pathetic.

I think your reaction is worse TBH. The royals shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think your reaction is worse TBH. The royals shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

Certainly not. So what is your criticism of the 2 brothers exactly???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Certainly not. So what is your criticism of the 2 brothers exactly???

Where did I criticise them? As an aside a colleague went to school with Harry and William (Eton). He said contrary to appearances William is the more humble one while Harry is the mist arrogant of his circumstance of birth.

Where did I criticise them? As an aside a colleague went to school with Harry and William (Eton). He said contrary to appearances William is the more humble one while Harry is the mist arrogant of his circumstance of birth.

i don't know either of them. I appreciate they were in my armed forces but that's it.

I can guarantee that the op wasn't in the Irish army on the other hand. And a sf ard fheis doesn't count btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

They're half brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

good lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

A. They are straight

B. I'm already married

C. I'm nearly old enough to be their grandfather.

D. One of them is already married.

E. My granddaughter would kill me.

F. I'm not that pushed about them but just see no harm in them.

In that list you never mentioned you were straight. Only them. So there may still be a slight and lingering element of uncertainty about your feelings towards the lads:)

Also, is Harry still rocking the SS gear?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    As Frankie Boyle said: "what better way to teach Afghani civilians about democracy than have a prince machine-gun them from a helicopter"
    When Frankie Boyle gets it right he gets it right .For even the odd time he has got it wrong ( can you in comedy )..overall its worth it for when he gets it so right.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

They seem like decent men. Harry had his wild phase, but straightened himself up. Can't really blame him, bloody awkward position being the heir, but being the spare is all cage with none of the ...well, I'm not sure being king is actually much of a reward.

They seem to have done their best to be useful members of society. Sure, they're rich and privileged, but that isn't a crime any more than it is to be poor.

Despite everything about the lifestyle, the British royals seem to have some sane heads screwed on when it comes to raising their kids. Especially Princess Anne's 2/3? who were deliberately raised without royal titles and the rest of it to give them as normal a life as possible. Actually, that approach goes back a bit, I think it was Queen Victoria's children that reminisced about their childhood and being taught housework and repairs much like other children of the time (albeit most other children didn't have a private cottage on the grounds to play in!).

Other than that, shrug.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To assume something makes an ass of both you and me.

Oh how I loathe this cryptic-crossword-for-cretins quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

i don't know either of them. I appreciate they were in my armed forces but that's it.

I can guarantee that the op wasn't in the Irish army on the other hand. And a sf ard fheis doesn't count btw....

'Merica Ingerland, f*ck yeah!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    'Merica Ingerland, f*ck yeah!

I'm not English matey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Probably case of "was", tbh. Teenagers in school and adults are a bit of a different kettle of fish, especially regarding Prince Harry who appeared a bit of a knob (as well as a nob) but seems to have grown out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres zero criticism being put forward by the OP just wild speculation based on the quite obvious chip on the shoulder they have for whatever reason.

As far as we lnow they both served their country exactly the same as everyone else that was alongside them. All the OP has engaged in is wild speculation with zero basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I tend to think (I'm born and raised in the UK with UK parents incidentally) that the royals doing this whole 'down with the common folk' routine to be annoying and patronising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭YourSuperior

For better or worse, folks really want their social hierarchies, these social games -- it's just the nature of things. We can have the pecking order or have chaos.

Advertisement