Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorist attack in Dublin scenario

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Reregs should be thrown in guatanmo bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Boards needs a dedicated forum for potential terrorist attacks in Dublin.

Was the post about Grafton Street last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will happen eventually but I just don't think we are sexy enough target for them. Even the homegrown Irish extremists would be more likely to cross the channel.

It will happen eventually though and probably within the first 5-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Stage 1 - Preparation

Do the preparation for the Gardaí response. Make sure they looked armed. Buy them expensive kit and powerful looking 4x4s and cars. Make sure that all the media are called to watch preparation. (All choreographed by Noirin the PR women dressed as a commissioner) Tick. Done. Finito.

Stage 2 - The Attack

There would be absolute pandemonium in Dublin hospitals.

There would be many needless deaths of injured people due the HSE's chronic disorganisation problem. Not enough paramedics can make it to the scene. Hundreds of injured die in hospital corridors.

Stage 3 - The Aftermath

Time for the usual excuses will be trotted out "mistakes were made", "acting on the best information available at the time". Politicians and HSE chiefs can't comment on the disaster because of an imminent public inquiry

Stage 4 - Public Inquiry

Public enquiry will take place approximately 6 years after the attack. In the meantime, key players who made catastrophic decisions are now retiring on full pension and golden handshakes. Loads of reports of written by "consultants" (of the legal and business kind) about the catastrophe. Beautifully presented reports choc-full of platitudes stating the bleeding obvious in technical prose written by hacks who
    don't want to upset their paymaster.

Same old. Same old. So predictable what would happen if their was a terrorist attack in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice try Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi but you have to do your own planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What I want to know is how the **** got a ticket?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Mayo folk descending on Dublin should be classed as a terror attack.

Sangwiches and flasks o' tae everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Post terror attack it's the governments/gardai fault.
    If an attack did take place without any plan in place. It's the governments and gardai fault.
    If there was a major security plain in place it's the governments/gardai fault.
    Basically no matter what happens the government and gardai will get blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walshj34

I remember talking to a Gard in the city about this about a month ago, they can get their ASU's anywhere within the GDA in 8 mins, and 12 mins to the major cities. That's time that's similar to London's special response units.

To be fair, not a whole lot will stop a lone maniac, but if it's planned and part of a bigger organisation, it would be a lot harder to keep on the dl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I think a muslim would stick out a bit at the All Ireland final, unless they use a white convert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

crokermun wrote: »
    I wanted to signup to post this, as I think it is one of the most serious problems in Ireland recently.

Given the recent terror attacks in London and Manchester, and the questions asked and answered about security here, we have established already that we are not prepared to handle a terror attack.

So, here is my scenario.

Call me a troll all ye want, but this is a good point:

If a suicide bomber hit the All-Ireland final, while the thousands of fans inside Croke Park were leaving, he could easily kill 100+ people. But we just don't seem to care all that much, because, after all, we are a "neutral" country, aren't we?

The unarmed Garda there wouldn't be able to cope.

So, in your own personal opinion, what would happen in this scenario?

The Gardaí are armed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

walshj34 wrote: »
    I remember talking to a Gard in the city about this about a month ago, they can get their ASU's anywhere within the GDA in 8 mins, and 12 mins to the major cities. That's time that's similar to London's special response units.

To be fair, not a whole lot will stop a lone maniac, but if it's planned and part of a bigger organisation, it would be a lot harder to keep on the dl.

So do you think this " Garda" could give me a loan of a Garda radio , it's just that I need to know where the Gardai are next Tuesday near my local post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 crokermun

What would happpen, how likely is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Massive casualties for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crispycool

You can never be properly prepared for an unexpected terrorist attack. The most important thing we can do as a country is to stop supporting wars that increase the likelihood of a terrorist attack in Ireland. We should be outspoken against war instead of aiding and abetting what inevitably results in more terrorism

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

the Manchester bomber detonated outside thr arena and he still caused havoc.
    That bomb was set off in the foyer of the arena, not outside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Manchester_Arena_bombing#Attack

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am never leaving my house again. Work can suffer. It's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Call me pure cynical, or what have you, but hear me out.

A new user signs up to chat about terrorism.
    Within 1 minute, another new user replies to your chat about terrorism.
    It's Saturday, lunch time, when the site is busy.
    There hasn't been a terrorist incident in a while, even though some proclaim it's a daily occurrence, in Europe.

You wouldn't just be here to scare people, would you?

At least one, and probably both of them are Brian I reckon;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-councillor-faces-disciplinary-hearing-over-sharia-law-claim-1.3214489

Advertisement