Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people who got less than 500 points in the leaving even allowed to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

She's gonna be watching this thread for at least another hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

marcus001 wrote: »
    Someone who really understood stood the term would more likely describe it as a mental shortcut because that is how they would understand it as that is how it functions for them in their mind.

Well I guess it's perfectly cromulent word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Intelligent people are voting for the parties which have been designed to appeal to the masses. They vote for the parties that exist. If the electorate were narrowed down the parties would be more representative of the intelligent voters.

How many intelligent people do you think exists in this perfect society of yours? How many will be allowed to vote? What happens if they **** up and society breaks down? Remember you removing the majority to be second class citizens, ruled by an Elite of intelligent beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Ive nowhere near 500 points...not by a long shot....I care for people,I vote according to their needs.
    You gonna take that away from me?

Forget about your supposed intelligence.

Hey troll,answer my question,you stupid little prick.

How many intelligent people do you think exists in this perfect society of yours? How many will be allowed to vote? What happens if they **** up and society breaks down? Remember you removing the majority to be second class citizens, ruled by an Elite of intelligent beings.

I haven't looked it up but I think something like 15% of people get over 500.

They're not beings, they're people. Their average salaries are only a little bit higher than the average industrial wage. Its not like they're all on 100k a year, not even close. There are probably more people with a 105 IQ on 100k a year simply because there are more of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

If the right to vote was based on intelligence then it's very clear that advocates of the policy would be excluded from voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Well, ideally we wouldn't deprive people of rights they already have. We would instate it for future generations so that as the years go on we will have a more intelligent electorate. Then and only then will we have good governance. You cannot govern a country democratically with an average IQ below 90 and even slightly above that you get lots of incompetence and corruption.

In order to save democracy we need to award democratic rights based on competence. That is my firm belief.
    It wouldn't make one bit of a difference having a 'smarter' electorate if all they have to vote for is the same collection of incompetents and village idiots that have been running the country for the past few decades.

I haven't looked it up but I think something like 15% of people get over 500.

If you going to argue for it should you not have those statistics/data points?

It wouldn't make one bit of a difference having a 'smarter' electorate if all they have to vote for is the same collection of incompetents and village idiots that have been running the country for the past few decades.

A different breed of politician would emerge, undoubtedly. People who would have no chance going up in front of the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wandererz

Intelligent people are voting for the parties which have been designed to appeal to the masses. They vote for the parties that exist. If the electorate were narrowed down the parties would be more representative of the intelligent voters.

Makes no sense at all.
    Intelligent people vote for their own party that can benefit them the most.
    The same for other people.

All parties exist. If they don't then they are, by definition, non-existent.

If the electorates vote was narrowed down then the parties would be more representative of the majority!

What kind of ****e are you spewing here.

• Advertisement

If you going to argue for it should you not have those statistics/data points?

I'm fairly sure of it.

wandererz wrote: »
    Makes no sense at all.
    Intelligent people vote for theit own party that can benefit them the most.
    The same for other people.

All parties exist. If they don't then they are, by definition, non-existent.

If the electorates vote was narrowed down then the parties would be more representative of the majority!

What kind of ****e are you spewing here.

What you wrote is correct. Human beings are not perfect, dumb or intelligent, it don't matter. There is more intelligent people in charge of runnning things right now, so his argument is retarded. Advocating 5 maybe 10 per cent of the population rule over the other 90 per cent, is crazy.

What you wrote is correct. Human beings are not perfect, dumb or intelligent, it don't matter. There is more intelligent people in charge of runnning things right now, so his argument is retarded. Advocating 5 maybe 10 per cent of the population rule over the other 90 per cent, is crazy.

There's a difference between the kind of intelligent people the average person picks and the kind of intelligent person an intelligent person picks.

For example. Trump is intelligent, or at least he was before he went senile. The average person voted for him. A group of intelligent voters would have picked someone else. And no, Hillary would probably not have been their second choice.

I'm fairly sure of it.

You may have misjudged, you provided no sourcing or confirmation for it. If you wrong are you going to deny you ****ed up?

You may have misjudged, you provided no sourcing or confirmation for it. If you wrong are you going to deny you ****ed up?

If I'm wrong I'm only wrong by a few percentage points so I don't care.

It was easier to check than I expected. 12.2% got 500 and over.

Thanks Cheerful Spring.

This to me is a concerted effort by someone who has an alternative agenda and is trying to stir up trouble.

What they don't realise is that the vast majority of people in Ireland are easy going, accepting and don't put up with this sh!te.

They could be a bot, someone paid to spout this crap or someone sitting in an intelligence agency somewhere just being paid or forced to spout this sh!t.

The intention is to instigate discontent. Simply take a step back and look at the title of the thread.

There's a difference between the kind of intelligent people the average person picks and the kind of intelligent person an intelligent person picks.

For example. Trump is intelligent, or at least he was before he went senile. The average person voted for him. A group of intelligent voters would have picked someone else. And no, Hillary would probably not have been their second choice.

Intelligent person can't pick their candidate. We get who we get. Some people want to be politicians and other people want to do other jobs..

Trump was never intelligent he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth. And there is nothing intelligent about him. A intelligent person would not mock peoples appearances constantly, mock disability and have a destructive fear of Islam and this just a few things wrong with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

Where does one even start with this dictatorship like crap. See if any of these names ring a bell to your educated ear! John D Rockefeller left school at 16, net worth today of 340 billion us! Good aul Henry Ford started an apprenticeship at 16, net worth today 200 billion.Amancio Ortega who founded ZARA left school at 14, net worth today 74 billion. Then there's thick aul Richard Branson who struggled with dyslexia and dropped out of school at 16, net worth of 55 billion. So maybe the next time you cook up a "smart idea" think it through.....

You want 12% to control the country?

I might not be smart enough but that doesnt sound like democracy to me.

Did you just make a mistake? And you provided no citation/source for this number. Anyone it's late i am out.

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    Thanks Cheerful Spring.

This to me is a concerted effort by someone who has an alternative agenda and is trying to stir up trouble.

What they don't realise is that the vast majority of people in Ireland are easy going, accepting and don't put up with this sh!te.

They could be a bot, someone paid to spout this crap or someone sitting in an intelligence agency somewhere just being paid or forced to spout this sh!t.

The intention is to instigate discontent. Simply take a step back and look at the title of the thread.

Paranoia

gitzy16v wrote: »
    You want 12% to control the country?

I might not be smart enough but that doesnt sound like democracy to me.

The original form of democracy only allowed landowning men to vote and it was still considered democracy. Democracy and universal suffrage are two distinct concepts.

Where does one even start with this dictatorship like crap. See if any of these names ring a bell to your educated ear! John D Rockefeller left school at 16, net worth today of 340 billion us! Good aul Henry Ford started an apprenticeship at 16, net worth today 200 billion.Amancio Ortega who founded ZARA left school at 14, net worth today 74 billion. Then there's thick aul Richard Branson who struggled with dyslexia and dropped out of school at 16, net worth of 55 billion. So maybe the next time you cook up a "smart idea" think it through.....

People like that make up less than .1% of the electorate anyway.

The original form of democracy only allowed landowning men to vote and it was still considered democracy. Democracy and universal suffrage are two distinct concepts.

Evolution!

Paranoia

Right. Just one word

I have a good reason to be up at this time of night.
    What's your's?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

People like that make up less than .1% of the electorate anyway.

Ever think of going on a permanent holiday to North Korea nah? You'd love it there....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Inspired by the most logical race in the universe; the Vulcans, breeding will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you, this will mean much less breeding. But for me, much much more!!

- Marcus, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Not sure, one of my friends who got 590 in his leaving is one of the least intelligent people I know when it comes to the real world. Another, who had to do LCA as he was scoring less than 10% in each exam, would buy and sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I got zero in the leaving, I didn’t do it. I became a very highly paid IT consultant, I then went back to education got a law degree, a PostDip and an MSc. May I please have a vote in your brave new world?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I miss Aongus.
    He put some effort in to his persona.

Advertisement