Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people who got less than 500 points in the leaving even allowed to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

marcus001 wrote: »
    It seems fairly intuitive to me, I don't need to read it in a scientific journal to deduce that intelligent people probably make fewer mistakes. Although I don't know whether clumsiness is related to intelligence, general competence certainly is.

So you decided in your own head this true.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

jamesbere wrote: »
    So you decided in your own head this true.

I use heuristics.

I use heuristics.

Ah seriously you've made statement with no prove and decided to say "I use heuristics" to baffle us lowly humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

You see these personal anecdotes are not one bit compelling to me because for all I know they're totally made up. And just because you don't make mistakes doesn't mean that intelligent people on average don't make fewer mistakes.

As for Noirín, she's smarter than you give her credit for because I doubt a lot of these mistakes are really unintentional.

Believe what you want about me, I honestly couldn't give a hoot. I don't class myself as intelligent. I got a degree in something I loved, while working full time. Your opinion on me doesn't even register. You assume that just because someone doesn't do well in their leaving that they're not as intelligent as you. You don't know their personal circumstances or their background. A girl I went to school with was 6 months pregnant doing her leaving and she's a CPA now. What would you say about her?

Have you just started college by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wandererz

I'm not even sure Leo would be elected under the system I'm proposing.

I'm fully aware that he probably has a lot of support amongst the affluent South Dublin set, but the political landscape would be fundamentally different under this system. There would be far less emphasis on personality over substance. That's what Leo is. I think, left to the high achievers to decide, we'd simply get competent professionals as opposed to ideologues on both sides.

Surprisingly there are a good many competent and educated people in the background. Just as with the US Government and the Whitehouse, these are the people that ensure that Government continues no matter what happens or who the head is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I'm not even sure Leo would be elected under the system I'm proposing.

I'm fully aware that he probably has a lot of support amongst the affluent South Dublin set, but the political landscape would be fundamentally different under this system. There would be far less emphasis on personality over substance. That's what Leo is. I think, left to the high achievers to decide, we'd simply get competent professionals as opposed to ideologues on both sides.

Your views are retarded.

Intelligent people can be risk takers. Are you honestly going to claim all bankers are not educated and intelligent? We know most of them went to university. So what happened? Their intelligence, failed them, when they decided to risk other peoples money? There is likely other intelligent risk takers in other professions.

I use heuristics.

Of course you do...

A method not guaranteed to be perfect *rollseyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,384 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This sound like a policy a dictating principal would bring into a school so the students could only elect exactly who he/she wanted on the students council.

Believe what you want about me, I honestly couldn't give a hoot. I don't class myself as intelligent. I got a degree in something I loved, while working full time. Your opinion on me doesn't even register. You assume that just because someone doesn't do well in their leaving that they're not as intelligent as you. You don't know their personal circumstances or their background. A girl I went to school with was 6 months pregnant doing her leaving and she's a CPA now. What would you say about her?

We can't comprehend is intelligence, he's on another level. Like the lawnmower man

Ive written 3 different responses to this thread and they all end up stupid because the premise is stupid.

Whats the lowest common denominator? I'd argue its having enough houses to house everyone and having enough jobs to keep everyone employed having reliable public transport and when you need to visit a hospital you get a bed straightaway and get seen to by the top of their field, and when you've paid the taxes neccessary to provide all of that you have enough left over to have a comfortable life style.

I'd argue the above is the lowest common denominator, and I'd also argue its what every politician should be striving for.

The problem is they all can't agree how to do it. (And a few are on the take)

The lowest common denominator is someone who is duped year after year by sound bites of one kind or another.

Highly intelligent people aren't moved by the idea of a 5 point plan or strong and stable, they can see it for the bull**** electioneering it is.

I'm not saying that the average Joe can't see through it as well but many don't, especially if they have preexisting biases one way or another.

A better quality electorate would lead to better quality elections, election debates and elected governments.

• Advertisement

Your views are retarded.

Intelligent people can be risk takers. Are you honestly going to claim all bankers are not educated and intelligent? We know most of them went to university. So what happened? Their intelligence, failed them, when they decided to risk other peoples money? There is likely other intelligent risk takers in other professions.

This isn't even an argument against my position, or if it is, spell it out for me, I'm not smart like you.

We can't comprehend is intelligence, he's on another level. Like the lawnmower man

Or a fresher who has just had his first psychology/ politics lecture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wandererz

Considering that the OP's account is relatively new and the number of posts in such a short period of time i am declaring FAKE news sponsored by someone or the other.

No need to bother any further, simply ignore.

Of course you do...

A method not guaranteed to be perfect *rollseyes*

You use heuristics as well. Every single day.

You use heuristics as well. Every single day.

I know I do and I know exactly what heuristics are. The difference is I don't shout about it on forums to sound intelligent :)

wandererz wrote: »
    Considering that the OP's account is relatively new and the number of posts in such a short period of time i am declaring FAKE news sponsored by someone or the other.

No need to bother any further, simply ignore.

I think I've done feeding trolls for the night!

In never once accused you of caring about my opinion of you, nor did I ever offer my opinion on you nor do I have one except that you're obviously offended by this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The lowest common denominator is someone who is duped year after year by sound bites of one kind or another.

Highly intelligent people aren't moved by the idea of a 5 point plan or strong and stable, they can see it for the bull**** electioneering it is.

I'm not saying that the average Joe can't see through it as well but many don't, especially if they have preexisting biases one way or another.

A better quality electorate would lead to better quality elections, election debates and elected governments.

Do you know what party is leading the country right now? Who are the intelligent people voting for?

The problem is you think the intelligent people are perfect and can't make mistakes, this is not true, and there is no evidence to look to that would show a master race of intelligent people would run things better for the country.

In never once accused you of caring about my opinion of you, nor did I ever offer my opinion on you nor do I have one except that you're obviously offended by this thread.

I seriously doubt he's offended by this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Completely agree with the ops point however I would limit it to only those who got it 10 years ago or more.
    The leaving cert is completely dumbed down now. Hell you even get points when you fail Honours Maths ffs.

• Advertisement

Night night xoxox

I seriously doubt he's offended by this thread

*She ;)

I know I do and I know exactly what heuristics are. The difference is I don't shout about it on forums to sound intelligent :)

You do now because you Googled it and then came back with "method not guaranteed to be perfect" which is an obvious copy paste job from wikipedia and not your own understanding of the term.

You do now because you Googled it and then came back with "method not guaranteed to be perfect" which is an obvious copy paste job from wikipedia and not your own understanding of the term.

It's a definition. Definition's tend to be the same everywhere you look.

Do you know what party is leading the country right now? Who are the intelligent people voting for?

The problem is you think the intelligent people are perfect and can't make mistakes, this is not true, and there is no evidence to look to that would show a master race of intelligent people would run things better for the country.

Intelligent people are voting for the parties which have been designed to appeal to the masses. They vote for the parties that exist. If the electorate were narrowed down the parties would be more representative of the intelligent voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Ive nowhere near 500 points...not by a long shot....I care for people,I vote according to their needs.
    You gonna take that away from me?

*She ;)

She you say, well us lower forms of intelligence must stick together.

We're off to have sex op, night

It's a definition. Definition's tend to be the same everywhere you look.

Someone who really understood stood the term would more likely describe it as a mental shortcut because that is how they would understand it as that is how it functions for them in their mind.

Or maybe I should just dumb it down for you and say it's basically just using your own judgment?

Anyway, I'm done for the night. Us average intelligent people still need sleep to function.

• Advertisement

Someone who really understood stood the term would more likely describe it as a mental shortcut because that is how they would understand it as that is how it functions for them in their mind.

U OK hun xxx

Advertisement