Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you don't get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

topper75 wrote: »
    But that is the whole problem [bolded bit]. One does not simply walk into Mordor. So I am not sure why I'm supposed to have sympathy.
    Well they basically did just walk in. It was extremely easy to do and blind eyes were turned by all involved because it benefited everyone.

I don't think they care about your sympathy. They just want to regularize their situations. From their perspective, everyone is winning by them being there so it makes no sense to do an action that damages everyone.

It doesn't benefit the States by making their lives difficult. In fact, if they had a process to regularize them that could be involve paying fines and getting into some structured process.

Of course I'm not suggesting that everyone whose feet touches US soil should be allowed to stay there indefinitely. But if someone is there for 20 years, what is the point of deporting them at that point? Maybe leaving behind US born children.

Have a look at this documentary. Well worth watching

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't get why people think they can take on the bookies (endless data, actuaries, algorithms, and computing power) and win over the long term. Maybe they are crushingly hopeless at maths.

Yeah......I'm not sure what you are trying to say about maths. It's a legal issue.
    If you are saying that the probability of getting away with it over the long term is small then, ironically, you are completely wrong as the opposite is true. If it were not, then there wouldn't be 50,000 odd illegal Irish over there for decades.The issue is that in order to make sure they aren't caught, they can't/don't do things.

If those 50,000 were some of the hypothetical maths-illiterate people you are talking about and took risks, they wouldn't still be there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

myshirt wrote: »
    How come no one has ever heard of a Chinese funeral in the Death Notices?

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you trying to imply that the chicken from the local takeaway may not, in fact, be dog or swan meat (allegedly and completely unsubstantiated)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Farmers. I never got farmers. They've got these big sheds that for some reason no one is allowed into.

Inside these sheds (potentially) could be anything. 20 foot high chickens, cows with four arses, god knows what else. There is something going on here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    I've said it before here, but fashion.

Looking at pictures of what other people wore. People going up and down catwalks in ridiculous looking clothes.

My brain just doesn't compute it at all. Something like "Exposis just an hour of WGAF to me. At best I see the appeal in attractive women on the telly. For everything else I may as well be looking at a discussion on the finer points of the work of Henry Dumas. In Japanese. My brain just disconnects.
    I'd kinda be similar. Though for me it's less fashion per se, more the ever speedier rotation of it. We've pretty much always had "fashion". We've been described as the "Naked Ape", but for my money we're far better described as the "Decorated Ape". We wear different fashions for reasons like; status, attractiveness, group affiliation and so on. These days though it's more the status and that novelty hit that keeps the cash registers ringing. And to do so fashion, particularly women's fashion* regularly goes so far up it's own arse it needs a glass navel to see out of trying to find and describe and sell novelty in the shape of the same bullsh1t that has gone before. Breasts are "in", White is the new black, flares are cool etc. The kinda guff you hear on Xpose and the like where various talking heads spout inanities touted as fashion advice in cringeworthy mid Atlantic accents. As John Lennon once remarked; Haute couture, French for bullsh1t.

There are few enough things I don't get. At least I see why others may get them. That fantasy(if that's what it's called?) stuff like Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones. Leaves me ice cold. Winter is coming indeed. I tried to wade through GOT but TBH came away with it feeling like a soap opera more aimed at women who follow soap operas with side order of murder and swordplay to keep the boyfriend in play. Dunno why, but that's the vibe I got from it. LOTR? God no.

Harry Potter. OK for kids yeah and great that it got kids engaged in books again, but for adults? Really don't get the attraction. I find her writing over explanatory and creaky - again fine for kids - and the plot have so many holes of reason they would pass decent muster as teabags.

X factor a given. Though again it's the soap opera thing I suppose?

*that's a cultural bias of our own. For many cultures and throughout history it was the men that were the dolled up primped up peacocks, that would climb over the bodies of they families for the latest in thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Morrissey the lead 'Singer' of the Smiths

I can understand how people like different styles of music some I like and some I don't.
    I can understand why people like the different styles of music OK that is what thier into fair enough
    But I really don't get Morrissey at all. That kind of patronising half singing/half talking way of his. He could not be more pompous if he tried.

Worse still some Radio DJ's like Tom Dunne seem to have him up on some pedestal as some sort of lyrical/musical genius.

Morrissey:
    'Heaven Knows I am miserable now....'

My reaction:

Cheer up Morrissey I am getting miserable just listening to you. You are not in f**king musical.

Morrissey:

'I was looking for a job, and then I found a job'

My reaction:

It's a pity you didn't find another one!

You are very annoying.

You will get a box soon if you don't shut up.

Morrissey:

In my life
    Oh, why do I give valuable time
    To people who don't care if I live or die?

My reaction:

Can you blame them!?

'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Why some people always have to be right. Never wrong. No matter what

What are they trying to prove, apart from being perceived as a colossal anus :confused:
    Rampant across the spectrum of Irish Politics. They're always right because they're watching things unfold from their cool vantage point as they said they themselves said they would , but nobody was listening to them, (actually they never said it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I never got the definition of the word: "homeless"
    Strictly speaking most of people here are homeless. They don't have a house of they own.
    For example I am homeless myself. The bank owns my house, and if I stop paying my bank the next thing the bank do - they will kick me out of their house! no sympathy or remorse.
    The same for people paying rent to their landlords.
    The people who are mostly referred as "homeless" can have the roof over their had as soon as they start paying the rent or the mortgage. So they are either don't want to pay, or don't have money to pay, and don't want to apply for rent supplement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fake Tan. No matter how much the bottle, the beautician, the glossy magazines or other women lie to you, it never looks natural and you look better without it.

Religious Belief, or more particularly, those who can't acknowledge that their faith is a choice to disregard a complete lack of evidence and logical reasoning in favour of a "good" story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Sleepy wrote: »
    Fake Tan. No matter how much the bottle, the beautician, the glossy magazines or other women lie to you, it never looks natural and you look better without it.
    Most Indian/Thai  girls want to make their skin lighter, most European girls want their skin tanned.
    I'd say if our bodies tend to loose weight, and gaining weight would be a challenge, then most of the girls would take weight gaining pills.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The obsession with school uniforms in this country.
    Listening to people you'd be forgiven for believing the world would end the moment children would be allowed to choose what to wear themselves.

And I'm sure it just simply won't - I grew up in Germany, I don't think there are any schools there that have school uniforms (there may be a few obscure weird private ones, but I've never heard of or seen any), and we still learned to read and write, a decent enough amount of maths, 2 foreign languages (3 if you want to count Latin), biology, chemistry, etc etc. All without destroying our classroom in orgies of anarchy, without stripping our teachers naked and painting them purple, and actually even without really caring what the other students wore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Sleepy wrote: »

Religious Belief, or more particularly, those who can't acknowledge that their faith is a choice to disregard a complete lack of evidence and logical reasoning in favour of a "good" story.

The thing I always found the most puzzling about this is actually how people of faith can be so sure theirs is the one and only true and right one, given the myriads of different flavours and shades of religions a would-be believer gets to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

na1 wrote: »
    Most Indian/Thai  girls want to make their skin lighter, most European girls want their skin tanned.
    I'd say if our bodies tend to loose weight, and gaining weight would be a challenge, then most of the girls would take weight gaining pills.
    I get that, and understand the origins of the societal difference. What I don't get, is how anyone can delude themselves that their fake tan looks anything like a suntan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Cycling fans who spend hours, often days on the side of an Alp or a Pyrenee, waiting for the Tour/Vuelta/Giro to go by...but then proceed to watch the whole thing through the screen of their phone while they record it.

WHYYYY!? You have this rare opportunity to see the race as it goes by in actual size, hundreds of professionals will have captured the footage which you can access later on. Is it in the hope that you'll get the money shot of someone crashing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Malari wrote: »
    Cycling fans who spend hours, often days on the side of an Alp or a Pyrenee, waiting for the Tour/Vuelta/Giro to go by...but then proceed to watch the whole thing through the screen of their phone while they record it.

WHYYYY!? You have this rare opportunity to see the race as it goes by in actual size, hundreds of professionals will have captured the footage which you can access later on. Is it in the hope that you'll get the money shot of someone crashing? :confused:

its so they can upload it to their facebook account, as a brag, look I was at this event, aren't you jealous of me? even though no one gives a $hit about their badly recorded video.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its so they can upload it to their facebook account, as a brag, look I was at this event, aren't you jealous of me? even though no one gives a $hit about their badly recorded video.

But they could film it anywhere if that was the case. Why go to such an awkward spot to capture footage. Baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Snapchat. I really don't get snapchat. Do we not have enough social media channels without another chance to live-video our lives and be surgically attached to our phones all day? How is there even a market for people to hear about other people's ordinary day-to-day activities? What's with all the weird filters like Face Swap and that bloody "dog" one? Just don't get how it's become normal to "snap" someone as opposed to sending them a text or giving them a call. It's all so daft to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

GAA "football". Awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

People who get sucked in by hyperbolic tabloid headlines / facebook posts / fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Gogglebox

• Registered Users Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

GAA "football". Awful game.

In fairness Meath have given up on it a long time ago. Your antipathy towards it is understandable.... :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

1. Brexit voters
    2. People who eat crap
    3. Smokers
    4. Fat people
    5. People who do not use their initiative and need to be spoon fed everything
    6. People who buy tabloids

Why people come down on the side of cats or dogs and ask if you're a ''cat or dog person''. Nobody asks if I'm an elephant or tiger person, is it because cats and dogs are seen as natural enemies and we're all taking sides? You can like both. Sometimes cats irritate me and I prefer dogs, and vice versa.

Elephants and tigers are not generally household pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Current affairs globally and nationally. I don't watch or read the news. I can think of a thousand things I'd rather do.

I literally have no idea what's going on beyond a terrorist attack headline on After Hours.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Current affairs globally and nationally. I don't watch or read the news. I can think of a thousand things I'd rather do.

I literally have no idea what's going on beyond a terrorist attack headline on After Hours.

and this attitude....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Why are Drug Cartels called cartels? They are always fighting and killing each other and trying to capture their rivals territory.

Surely it would make sense too carve up territory and regulate the supply and price of drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Going on holiday and ending up in an Irish bar. Bloke on the radio this morning saying his mate sent him a picture from Florida having a pint.... in an Irish bar. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wilful stupidity. As in any fluffyheaded non thinking. A belief in psychics. 'Alternative' medicine. Antivaxxers. Angel healing. I could fill pages.

Basically, I don't understand why anybody would, in the face of overwhelming evidence that they're talking through their collective hoops, make a conscious decision to be an idiot.

The incessant need for Irish emigrants living in Australia to send pictures of themselves on the beach Christmas Day...every year. It was novel in 2003 the first year you went but now it is ****ing beyond tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

In fairness Meath have given on it a long time ago. Your antipathy towards it is understandable.... :D

I'm a "blow-in", as most of Ashbourne is to be honest. I'm a Dub, so I should love it now, seeing how dominant are and will be for many years (or so I'm told). Just don't get the fascination at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

pauliebdub wrote: »
    A fancy chipper in Dundrum. The milkshakes are gorgeous but the food is ordinary.

Their milkshakes apparently brings all the boys to the yard

Advertisement