Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've flicked on The Hard Shoulder three times today, and three times they were talking about a trial in which no one was found guilty.

Was the trial sponsored by Newstalk or something? It's mind boggling how much they seem to want to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've flicked on The Hard Shoulder three times today, and three times they were talking about a trial in which no one was found guilty.

Was the trial sponsored by Newstalk or something? It's mind boggling how much they seem to want to talk about it.

It is a very topical trial in fairness. Verdict thread on boards has nearly a thousand posts since lunchtime, a hashtag on twitter has over 40K tweets on it.

I'd stay away from RTE News, Prime Time, The Pat Kenny Show and The tonight Show tonight if you find the coverage excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

When he started finishing his sentences with 'And all that good stuff' I had enough of him... He's obviously been hanging around some hipster and picked it up unbeknownst to himself...infuriating to listen to these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Listen to the way he says words that end in 'ort'. Sport, report.
    He says "Sporsche" "reporsche"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Listen to the way he says words that end in 'ort'. Sport, report.
    He says "Sporsche" "reporsche"

He is from Enniscorthy so you must make allowances. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'm on my holliers and the moment and I must say I am thouroughly enjoying not listening to him on my way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Del.Monte wrote: »
    He is from Enniscorthy so you must make allowances. :D

Ah yes, Del.Monte, the old uvular 'r'.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

So Lise Hand starts by telling us she is anti gender stereotyping and ends by saying she doesn't like MMA because she is a woman..

A Katie Taylor fight is a work of art though!

Ridiculous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wonderohwonder

That Yank has some neck calling himself a comedian! An perpetually unemployed comedian maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Jeez Paul "Garda PR department" Williams on, tough enough to listen to in the morning. The Gardaí are on top of gangland crime apparently.

Add to that the usual incomprehensible reference to something the PC brigade is preventing him from doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I liked the show for a while, but then it started to bug me when he keeps making "jokes" while people are talking and trying to make their point, usually does that when he does'nt agree with them ! ! "and all that good Schtuff!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I liked the show for a while, but then it started to bug me when he keeps making "jokes" while people are talking and trying to make their point, usually does that when he does'nt agree with them ! ! "and all that good Schtuff!"

it's almost unlistenable with most of his guests, as he just keeps interrupting them and butting in with his own observations and opinions, often completely wrong.
    you can often tell that the doctor he has on with him last night (and each week/fortnight), is annoyed with some of the stuff he comes out with and really wants to tell him to shut up.

him and Kevin Kilbane wee talking over each other for a good 10 seconds yesterday, which doesn't sound much, but when you're listening to it on radio, it feels like forever!

Had the misfortune to hear his telephone interview with the Israeli 'deputy' ambassador this evening - never heard of that title before. Apart from his woeful lack of knowledge about foreign affairs - outside of Man.City - it was his attempt at grovelling which was really embarrassing. In his introduction he referred to the 'deputy' ambassador as excellency and finished up by referring to him as excellence. Amongst other things he referred to Israel's use of mortars against the Palestinians yesterday?? Where does he get his facts from?

On checking I see that there is such a title - anyway it was a minor part of the overall experience. Once a bluffer, always a bluffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Had the misfortune to hear his telephone interview with the Israeli 'deputy' ambassador this evening - never heard of that title before. Apart from his woeful lack of knowledge about foreign affairs - outside of Man.City - it was his attempt at grovelling which was really embarrassing. In his introduction he referred to the 'deputy' ambassador as excellency and finished up by referring to him as excellence. Amongst other things he referred to Israel's use of mortars against the Palestinians yesterday?? Where does he get his facts from?

On checking I see that there is such a title - anyway it was a minor part of the overall experience. Once a bluffer, always a bluffer.

before slating Ivan you better go back and re-check your own facts for a second time - that deputy ambassador was a woman.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    before slating Ivan you better go back and re-check your own facts for a second time - that deputy ambassador was a woman.

A typo rather than a fact; did you hear the interview or are you just here for an argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Ivan's knowledge on basically anything outside horse-racing is appalling, so the interview was little surprise. he's always been a dreadful interviewer too.

doing an OB today hosting a debate on the referendum, which will no doubt be an utter clusterfcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

A typo rather than a fact; did you hear the interview or are you just here for an argument?

No didn’t come for an argument, just heard that piece with the deputy ambassador and initially thought to myself is that a man or a woman with an unusually deep voice? That was cleared up anyway when she twice mentioned being a mother and how she could empathise and even David Norris allowed her this, but when I saw your post

1. attacking Ivan for bluffing/ lack of knowledge of the subject
    2. then correcting your own lack of knowledge.

…….. I thought, now there’s a classic case of someone who wasn’t even listening properly themselves yet feels entitled to bash Ivan for not measuring up to their own high standards

Weird typo too by the way, he/she happens but “him” to “her”?

We are way off topic here but to answer your points: I typed him rather than her because I was in a hurry - the 'deputy' ambassador was clearly a woman but not particularly fluent in the English language. I might add that I have never heard the term deputy ambassador in my 59 years on the planet and thus looked it up immediately and corrected myself. I could have simply replaced my post but life's too short for such nonsense. End of discussion - from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jesus , that debate was like dealing with children. he tried to control them but failed miserably. they were all talking over each other and interupting each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭LeBash

jesus , that debate was like dealing with children. he tried to control them but failed miserably. they were all talking over each other and interupting each other

Every referendum is like that and when there is politicians involved its worse. Thought he did a reasonable job despite the ignorant clowns on both side of the argument. I did think the no guys were being petty and should have been pulled up for things like "It's a child with down syndrome and not a down syndrome child" when it was clearly a little mistake seen as she said it correctly 3 or 4 times along with other examples.

Ivan ran it reasonably well compared to the the no campaigner on the Pat Kenny show who was just abrasive from the minute she came on and Pat Kenny lost his temper instead of just turning her down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

LeBash wrote: »
    Every referendum is like that and when there is politicians involved its worse. Thought he did a reasonable job despite the ignorant clowns on both side of the argument. I did think the no guys were being petty and should have been pulled up for things like "It's a child with down syndrome and not a down syndrome child" when it was clearly a little mistake seen as she said it correctly 3 or 4 times along with other examples.

Ivan ran it reasonably well compared to the the no campaigner on the Pat Kenny show who was just abrasive from the minute she came on and Pat Kenny lost his temper instead of just turning her down.

i didnt hear the pat kenny one. i only listned to ivans one because i was painting stuff int he shed and put some of it infront of the radio and had to wait for it to dry before i could turn it off.

that part where they said its a child with down syndrom was very childish. same with the part where she refused to answer unless the other person said it was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I thought it went reasonably well. In comparison to car crash on Monday evening the clapping was mostly contained, there was less of a point scoring and nastiness.

This evening's programme was even worse than usual as Ivan went off on an ill informed rant about the problems on the DART line due to the Bray signal room fire. I'm not a fan of the man on the receiving end of the guff from this blowhard - Irish Rail's spin doctor Barry Kenny - but if he has a modicum of self respect he should demand a public apology from Yates before appearing on the show again.
    Even the texters savaged Yates for his bad manners.

Later he had an interview about public transport with well known anti-rail charlatan Dr.Sean Barrett of TCD. The ignoramus referred to Sean Barrett as his default person to go to about public transport but at the end of the segment said to him 'so you're very pro-bus?' - what rock as has Yates been under for the last 40+ years? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I might be wrong but that interview with Barry Kenny was completely tongue in cheek. I have strong suspicion they run into each other at quite a few junkets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Isn't Barry on his Friday night 6pm onwards slots fairly regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

meeeeh wrote:
    I might be wrong but that interview with Barry Kenny was completely tongue in cheek. I have strong suspicion they run into each other at quite a few junkets.

I think 99% of what Ivan says is tongue in cheek. Earlier in the show he was suggesting parents should lawyer up to evict their stay at home adult children.

Given the housing situation, I'd say that got a few listeners backs up.

Look at Ivan's career. TD, Minister, Bookie, radio show host, year out, radio show host. I think he does what he wants when he wants and not much riles him. I admire him for that to be honest.

meeeeh wrote: »

It came across as rude and aggressive. Yates is a big child, always was, and throws his toys out of the pram if he's personally inconvenienced. Ah, the stories I could tell about the bould Ivan.....:D

As for BK - always seems to be on a mobile and sounds far away (as in a foreign country) researching for his travel slots. He wouldn't last five minutes in the private sector - remember his fortnight stint at Ryanair. https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/no-fun-had-at-ryanair-26235891.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

It came across as rude and aggressive. Yates is a big child, always was, and throws his toys out of the pram if he's personally inconvenienced. Ah, the stories I could tell about the bould Ivan.....:D

As for BK - always seems to be on a mobile and sounds far away (as in a foreign country) researching for his travel slots. He wouldn't last five minutes in the private sector - remember his fortnight stint at Ryanair. https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/no-fun-had-at-ryanair-26235891.html

Bluff and bluster is Yates' shtick and it seems you have fallen for the illusion.
    I'd bet money on him and BK chuckling afterwards off mic.

Ivan is a notorious rogue and when his 'victim' is known to him,he really gives his 'act' some welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

"You are getting your beard shaved as we speak. What way will you vote?"

Henry McKean is absolutely stealing a living. He is a pure simpleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

NufcNavan wrote: »
    "You are getting your beard shaved as we speak. What way will you vote?"

Henry McKean is absolutely stealing a living. He is a pure simpleton.

Undoubtedly Henry has the role of bumbling village idiot to a tee. I used to think it was part of an act,to try endear himselves to people.
    I'm almost certain now though that he actually IS a fool.

Although he is very well established within Newstalk. He seems to be part of the furniture.

Advertisement