Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Discussing teachers and schools now.

Richard went to a C. of I. school in Limerick. Teacher once asked the class to put up their hands if their parents
    had a job. All the children raised their hands. The teacher announced: 'THAT'S what it means to be a Protestant!' :0

He then transferred to a Catholic school, but had to leave the room for religion class. After a while, he asked if he
    could remain with his class as he did not like having to leave the room and being separated from his friends. After
    a few letters going back and forth between 'school, bishops, etc.', he was allowed to stay. From then on, whenever
    anything was being discussed, the teacher used to turn to Richard and ask him, 'Is that how the Protestants do it?' Lol!!

And Ivan says: 'And you finished up as an editor of The Times!'

John Halligan, RTÉ Orchestra, Mandles, Kevin Spacey, The Pope and mobile phones, teachers/schools - some of the
    items 'discussed' on The Final Furlong' this evening. Very lively and entertaining panel! Ivan really does not like the
    RTÉ Orchestra - he has been ranting about it all day, largely to get a reaction, I suspect!

Its easy to go for the orchestra, I cant name one person on any current orchestra. Cant see Ivan going for Tubs or Darcy if he ever wants to promote anything on RTE again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'd say his listenership figures are abysmal. It's a poor, poor offering compared to RTÉ and M Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I'd say his listenership figures are abysmal. It's a poor, poor offering compared to RTÉ and M Cooper

Could never listen to Matt Cooper. That voice alone! :eek:

Wonder what Matt really thought about Mario Rosenstock's take-off of
    him and Ivan last night? He roared his head off laughing at it - too much
    so, I thought. The sketch was piss poor. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

He's the spit of the zombie from 'Day of the Dead'.

Can't warm to Yates in the slightest. He's a loudmouth & a low-brow populist, akin to Norn Iron's Stephen Nolan. Say what you like about Hook, but for all his bluster and Vera-Lynn-era frames of reference, he had a warmth and an essential decency about him that's utterly lacking in this boyo.

pic1689617.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Its easy to go for the orchestra, I cant name one person on any current orchestra. Cant see Ivan going for Tubs or Darcy if he ever wants to promote anything on RTE again.

Pretty sure he had a pop about Darcy's wages last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,765 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

agreed.

I thought in the first week it was just him finding his feet, but he's still completely unprepared and all over the place, constantly messing up links, seemingly having no knowledge of the subject being discussed. hlaf the time it sounds like he's reading the researcher's names off a sheet of paper as he still doesn't know them. it's all very amateur.

I had heard stories from people who worked in Newstalk about how woefully under-prepared he often was for the breakfast show, never there for production meetings, waltzing in just before the show starts and having to get caught up with no real idea about the subjects/guests or what was happening. Chris was the one who completely held the show together on-air.

without a co-presenter, Ivan's weaknesses are greatly magnified.

I heard him the other day mentioning that he's often given 80* page dossiers to digest on the way home.
    I suppose it saves on cat litter, because he never seems to read beyond the first of those pages.

*Exaggeration probably, but I'm not exaggerating what he said.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Vorenus400 wrote: »

Also he seem to think he has an insider when you just have to read RTÉ annual report to see how much RTÉ spend on the NSO and NCO. He also seemed to make it out as if they had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

what time does bobby kerr be on at on tuseday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Mr Snow wrote: »
    what time does bobby kerr be on at on tuseday?

Usually approx 5.25/30pm onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the liscence fee.

i thought we only had 3 orchestras at RTE.

Apparently weve got 7 for some fecking reason costing us 15 million a year. ivans talking to pat rabbite now on the move to try and get the revenue comissioners to come after us as some have the audacity to not pay the marion finucane tax.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

the liscence fee.

i thought we only had 3 orchestras at RTE.

Apparently weve got 7 for some fecking reason costing us 15 million a year. ivans talking to pat rabbite now on the move to try and get the revenue comissioners to come after us as some have the audacity to not pay the marion finucane tax.

:D

Surprising the amount of attention it is getting on Newstalk. Not!

Ciara Kelly was asking a contributor at lunch, with a straight face, did he think it should be shared out amongst other broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Surprising the amount of attention it is getting on Newstalk. Not!

Ciara Kelly was asking a contributor at lunch, with a straight face, did he think it should be shared out amongst other broadcasters.

Yes, the broadcast fee, the replacement for the t.v. licence. Would only be fair that it doesn't all go to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yes, the broadcast fee, the replacement for the t.v. licence. Would only be fair that it doesn't all go to RTE.

The Licence fee currently doesn't all go to RTÉ, TG4 get a portion of it and also an hour of TV from RTÉ per day, while the BAI also get a portion of it, the vast majority of it goes to RTÉ 87% however as pointed out RTÉ are obligied to fund the NSO and NCO about 7.5%, long with no advertising no RnaG another 7.5%, supporting children's TV with no advertising about 5% meaning the larger audience getters get just 55 - 65% of the fee.

Meanwhile Radio broadcasters can sell a max of 12mins of ads per hour on Radio, average of 9mins per hour, while TV3 can sell 12mins of adds per hour, RTÉ can sell 6min on average per hour and 9mins max per hour, however News Now is ad free as is RTÉjr and as pointed out RnaG.

The broadcasting charge has been suggested before by Ministers Ryan, Rabbitte, White and Naughten all refused to introduce. With an election on the card don't expect any changes soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Christ he's an insufferable bollox now. just because he hasn't noticed the cold, he's questioning the met service.
    unfortunately he's the best of the shyte lot on until 4.30.

half baked shock jock with a blocked nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Christ he's an insufferable bollox now. just because he hasn't noticed the cold, he's questioning the met service.

What do you expect just look who owns the Station

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He's a complete and utter smug b*stard these days.

I don't even know who he appeals to-Fellow gob****es maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

He's just trolling most of the time. In the original meaning of the term

The continuing use of crinklies being a recent example

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

batistuta9 wrote: »

Agree, and I find it beyond tedious. It's not even remotely entertaining so I'm not sure what purpose he serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Agree, and I find it beyond tedious. It's not even remotely entertaining so I'm not sure what purpose he serves.

he's a revenue generator. every text costs 30c, so he comes out with some banal horse**** at the start of the show to rile people. like which county has the sexiest accent. in the week where politics has gone through a massive issue for the country, he started with that.

and people text in to lessen the losses at newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

a "half baked shock jock" that "appeals to-Fellow gob****es" and is "just trolling most of the time" and "comes out with some banal horse**** at the start of the show to rile people"....

the Hook fanclub on here must be delighted!

I've been listening to Radio1 most days now on the way home in the evenings. a bit dry, but much better than the buffoonery of Yates.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

he's a revenue generator. every text costs 30c, so he comes out with some banal horse**** at the start of the show to rile people. like which county has the sexiest accent. in the week where politics has gone through a massive issue for the country, he started with that.

and people text in to lessen the losses at newstalk.
    I wonder how many are dense enough to get that worked up about what he actually says to bother texting in? I'm not doubting you, as I'm sure there are quite a few out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

He's a complete and utter smug b*stard these days.

I don't even know who he appeals to-Fellow gob****es maybe?

"These Days" he always was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Whatever about Yates himself, that flipping John Drennan guy drives me nuts!!!! Thinks he's funny with his witty anecdotes and auld country gombeen carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I must be the only person here who like Yates. And btw his miles ahead of Hook. Yates it tongue in cheek, Hook was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I.m beginning to get into then show more now as he gets some commentators on about various issues who know what they are talking about, compare that with miserable Matts slew of outraged self promoters.
    I agree though that Drennan should be dropped as he contributes nothing and would be more suited to type of dross that Cooper has on..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I kinda like Ivan but have a few issues with his show. I have to change the channel when Newstalk's jester Henry turns up, and he does more and more frequently these days.

Also, the Phil 'Thommo' Thompson bit is pointless. 5 minutes of spraff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

batistuta9 wrote: »

Anyone younger than him is a 'snowflake'.

He's not far off crinkly status himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

thought the show turned in to Joe Duffy today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Cortecs wrote: »
    Whatever about Yates himself, that flipping John Drennan guy drives me nuts!!!! Thinks he's funny with his witty anecdotes and auld country gombeen carry on.
    he spends more time comparing whatever they're talking about to some other completely unrelated event.

"the Frances Fitzgerald situation yesterday was a bit like when Moses came down from Mount Sinai and saw the Children of Israel worshipping the Golden Calf and brought the tablets of stone, cut from sapphire stone as blue as the sky over Leinster House on a hot summer's day"

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

he spends more time comparing whatever they're talking about to some other completely unrelated event.

"the Frances Fitzgerald situation yesterday was a bit like when Moses came down from Mount Sinai and saw the Children of Israel worshipping the Golden Calf and brought the tablets of stone, cut from sapphire stone as blue as the sky over Leinster House on a hot summer's day"

:confused::confused::confused:

Drennan was on the show again today, talking about what's likely to happen in Irish politics in 2018. His longwinded analogies are very annoying. He seems to fancy himself as some sort of wit like Winston Churchill.

Also, when Enda Kenny foolishly used the word 'Paddy' as a personification of the Irish public on one occasion, Drennan seized on it and used in virtually every article he wrote and radio appearance he made for the next three or four years. Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Turning to something completely different, serial killers are driving the rickshaws in Dublin city centre. That's according to the AA's Conor Faughnan. Talking about government plans to regulate the industry on today's show, he justified it by saying (half jokingly) that anyone could become a driver at the moment as there was no regulation, even a serial killer. Even Ivan was shocked 😂

Advertisement