Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Del.Monte wrote: »
    He should stick to writing fiction like his "Full On" autobiography.

Have you read it DM? Would it be as good as Just Joe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I see he’s after resurrecting John Drennan’s Radio career.
    He’s not half a funny as he thinks he is. Always some quip delivered awkwardly and by the time he’s finished you wonder what his point was in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    The finest Taoiseach the country never had

Yes he would be right up there with "Bertie"

Financial Shenaginans and all that suits them both

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Whenever he starts into the "banter" about how much he gets for doing public appearances, I turn off.

It's boring, nobody cares Ivan.

Id say the people who were left high and dry when he went Bankrupt would care a lot him boasting now about how much he gets

xl500 wrote: »
    Id say the people who were left high and dry when he went Bankrupt would care a lot him boasting now about how much he gets

While he keeps his very generous Dail pensions (plural) that he's "entitled" (quote) to. He's "joked" patronisingly and condescendingly about those on more than one occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Have you read it DM? Would it be as good as Just Joe? :)

I have two copies of "Full On" and one signed by the great man - I hasten to add that one was purchased from a charity shop to ensure that he didn't benefit by a red cent and the other was a gift. I have to confess that I only wanted to read the non-political stuff as I have known the guy for years. There's too much politics in the book to recommend it and George Hook's " Time Added On" is a much better read.

I have two copies of "Full On" and one signed by the great man - I hasten to add that one was purchased from a charity shop to ensure that he didn't benefit by a red cent and the other was a gift. I have to confess that I only wanted to read the non-political stuff as I have known the guy for years. There's too much politics in the book to recommend it and George Hook's " Time Added On" is a much better read.

Wat colour is Full On? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I am not Chris and Sarah's biggest fan but I distinctly remember them doing the show on various bank holiday Mondays last year.

I remember thinking, fair play to them they are trying their best to push the show on and promote the show on typically quieter news days when rival offerings often wouldn't have their first choice presenters on air.

Today we have a stand in for Ivan(I have no issue with the stand in presenter he is doing a perfectly fine job and I have no issue with him-dare i say he actually is coming across better than the main star of this show).

He said something about Ivan being away off down the country and back tomorrow.

In my experience In daily life nobody mentions this show as a talking point since it began in September.

It doesn't bode well for His listenership figures.

Also, I note that nobody has posted on this thread in over a week.

It goes to Show the level of interest that Yates has managed to generate for "his" show.

Yet he is comfortable enough to take today off and no doubt will boast about his fabulous vip weekend tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Today we have a stand in for Ivan(I have no issue with the stand in presenter he is doing a perfectly fine job and I have no issue with him-dare i say he actually is coming across better than the main star of this show).

Ciaran Cuddihy was the stand in today who is very capable. He did the show some times with Jonathan Healy just after Chris and Sarah finished and I thought they worked very well together.

Find the show with Ivan Ok. Kind of meh. Don't think he gets genuinely riled or passionate about any of the articles though which I think indicates it to be some sort of part time or casual gig for him. Maybe he was always that way but he used to have Chris on the breakfast show to bring some sense of gravitas to the topics.

He gets as incensed talking about the potential traffic leaving lepardstown as he does about the tracker scandal which I think takes from his questioning on the more serious topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ivan was giving out about Bono and his mention in the latest papers on tax avoidance.

"How dare Bono use legal means to avoid paying certain taxes" ..... says the man who uses legal means to file for bankruptcy and avoid his creditors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

everlast75 wrote:
    Ivan was giving out about Bono and his mention in the latest papers on tax avoidance.

everlast75 wrote:
    "How dare Bono use legal means to avoid paying certain taxes" ..... says the man who uses legal means to file for bankruptcy and avoid his creditors.

You left out how he able to do this while still collecting his €75,000 a year pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

everlast75 wrote: »

I think you'll find that Ivan wasn't actually giving out.

Perhaps pay a little more attention before coming out with what you thing are smart and witty comments.

Allinall wrote: »
    I think you'll find that Ivan wasn't actually giving out.

Perhaps pay a little more attention before coming out with what you thing are smart and witty comments.

Unless you were listening to a different show, that's exactly what he said after the 5 o'clock news. He gave out about that and his backing of the former Burmese leader.

And try not to be so condescending with your posts.

nc6000 wrote: »
    You left out how he able to do this while still collecting his €75,000 a year pension.

Pensions caller, pensions. He has more than one Govt. Pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Pensions caller, pensions. He has more than one Govt. Pension.

How many does he have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

everlast75 wrote: »
    Unless you were listening to a different show, that's exactly what he said after the 5 o'clock news. He gave out about that and his backing of the former Burmese leader.

And try not to be so condescending with your posts.

I can't believe the naively.

He's playing with you and you're gullible enough to fall for it.

I'll decide on my posting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You did read the forum charter before posting here didn't you....

I can't believe the naively.

He's playing with you and you're gullible enough to fall for it.

So.. first of all you say he didn't say it.

Then when I prove he did you say he didn't mean it.

Get your story straight.

How many does he have?

Yates has both TD and Ministerial pensions; but that's not the best part - as in best part for him, not the taxpayer. The best part is he started picking these up at age 43 - that's not a typo. Think about that for a while....then think about it next time he gloats about it and says he's "entitled to it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He actually said it after the 4 pm news.

Another Mick Wallace, you can't do as I did !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

You'd miss George for the RTE licence coverage. Ivan deciding that the orchestra is what everyone is talking about. At least you can be pretty sure the people in the orchestra are trained and competent. I'd see Tubridy and Darcy as the big reasons against a compulsory licence. They supposedly make around a million between them a year but where is the competition for them, who is going to poach them. Musicians are international and could easily go overseas.

Has any radio show addressed the RTE secret producer twitter account? Newstalk is obsessed with twitter so you would expect them to give it a shout out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ivan calling elitism for the (outstanding) orchestras getting 12mil funding.

Roughly one fifth of what the poster child for elitism, Ivan's dear horse racing industry, recieves this year.

Talking of waste - how much do Ivan's State pensions come to and how long has he been in receipt of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Talking of waste - how much do Ivan's State pensions come to and how long has he been in receipt of them?

^^^^^
    Post 170

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Love this panel! Richard Oakley, Nora Owen and Steve Cummins, a comedian from Limerick.

Nora Owen telling the story about Michael Collins leaving work in London and his colleagues thinking he was resigning
    in order to join the imperial army! They even gave him a watch, lol!! :)

Ivan keeps the show going at a lively pace. Enjoying this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yates works very well with guests he has some connection with.

'The PC Richter Scale is going to rise now' - Ivan as Richard starts to talk. Lol! :)

Cummins sounds rather bombastic. The Pope and mobile phones.

'Connemara Whiskey' - mandle smell. Richard's favourite! :)

'The Scent of a Man' - 'that was a lovely film' - Nora. :)

'Joy sticks' says Ivan. 'You mean joss sticks!' someone corrects him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

How much?

BOOKIE TURNED broadcaster Ivan Yates has a €74,800 a year pension from his time in politics, it was revealed last week. The man from Blackstoops earned most of the money for his two decades as a Dáil Deputy, with a nice €27,000 to recognise his stint as Minister for Agriculture.
    The figures showed that the Enniscorthy man, who lives at Sandymount in Dublin these days, is 53rd on the list of retired politicians for pensions. The chart shows that both Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen are entitled to draw down more than €150,000 annually. The two ex-taoisaigh are among 31 retired members of Cabinet whose pensions reach six figures.

• Advertisement

Discussing teachers and schools now.

Richard went to a C. of I. school in Limerick. Teacher once asked the class to put up their hands if their parents
    had a job. All the children raised their hands. The teacher announced: 'THAT'S what it means to be a Protestant!' :0

He then transferred to a Catholic school, but had to leave the room for religion class. After a while, he asked if he
    could remain with his class as he did not like having to leave the room and being separated from his friends. After
    a few letters going back and forth between 'school, bishops, etc.', he was allowed to stay. From then on, whenever
    anything was being discussed, the teacher used to turn to Richard and ask him, 'Is that how the Protestants do it?' Lol!!

And Ivan says: 'And you finished up as an editor of The Times!'

John Halligan, RTÉ Orchestra, Mandles, Kevin Spacey, The Pope and mobile phones, teachers/schools - some of the
    items 'discussed' on The Final Furlong' this evening. Very lively and entertaining panel! Ivan really does not like the
    RTÉ Orchestra - he has been ranting about it all day, largely to get a reaction, I suspect!

Advertisement