Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just FYI. I switched to Vodafone, got them to handle it all. After being informed by one of the eir reps on boards that because I didn't ring them I'm still liable for the rest of my contract...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just FYI. I switched to Vodafone, got them to handle it all. After being informed by one of the eir reps on boards that because I didn't ring them I'm still liable for the rest of my contract...

You didn't tell eir you were cancelling?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Owryan wrote: »
    You didn't tell eir you were cancelling?

No, pretty stupid of me in hindsight but I got the impression from this thread I didn't have to once the new ISP were looking after the move and it was within the window in the letter. I'll have to ring them later to try and sort it out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

No, pretty stupid of me in hindsight but I got the impression from this thread I didn't have to once the new ISP were looking after the move and it was within the window in the letter. I'll have to ring them later to try and sort it out I guess.

I didn't think you had to cancel either, I just presumed that your new supplier would do all that for you

Del007 wrote: »
    I didn't think you had to cancel either, I just presumed that your new supplier would do all that for you

Did you get your final bill from eir yet?

• Advertisement

Did you get your final bill from eir yet?

I'm just off the phone with them. I had until this coming monday to inform them that I'm leaving them.

Because I've already switched over to sky, the rep that I spoke to said I'll receive a bill saying that I will be liable for the rest of my contract. The rep said to just call them back when the letter arrives and that they will cancel it.

I doubt it's going to be this easy and can see them trying to wrangle out of it somehow.

I hate these companies

I'm just off the phone with them. I had until this coming monday to inform them that I'm leaving them.

Because I've already switched over to sky, the rep that I spoke to said I'll receive a bill saying that I will be liable for the rest of my contract. The rep said to just call them back when the letter arrives and that they will cancel it.

I doubt it's going to be this easy and can see them trying to wrangle out of it somehow.

I hate these companies

Agreed. Yeah I'll have to get on to them and do the same, it's Monday for me too. I've already cancelled the DD so not too worried. Would you mind posting the number you rang as I don't have it to hand.

Agreed. Yeah I'll have to get on to them and do the same, it's Monday for me too. I've already cancelled the DD so not too worried. Would you mind posting the number you rang as I don't have it to hand.

1800 303 449

I would advise you to record all calls with sky and similar companies as you can't trust them one bit

No, you have to tell them you want to cancel. Your new provider will handle the changeover.

You could ring and try bluff that you had already called and cancelled

• Advertisement

Well I rang them there and they didnt seem to think there was an issue and there should be no penalties on my final bill, so now I'm even more confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Well I rang them there and they didnt seem to think there was an issue and there should be no penalties on my final bill, so now I'm even more confused.

When you instructed your new provider to take over the line it was like a notice to eir.

You might give them a courtesy call, but there is no requirement to do so.

wonski wrote: »
    When you instructed your new provider to take over the line it was like a notice to eir.

You might give them a courtesy call, but there is no requirement to do so.

They're saying that if you don't inform them that you're leaving then you will have to pay the remainder of your contract.

Whether they can actually do that or not is another thing

They're saying that if you don't inform them that you're leaving then you will have to pay the remainder of your contract.

Whether they can actually do that or not is another thing

Sure, by a registered letter sent to their head office?

Or by phone?

Let the new provider deal with it, speaking from experience.

To save yourself a hassle inform them of your intentions, but do not cancel over the phone.

Sure, by a registered letter sent to their head office?

Or by phone?

Let the new provider deal with it, speaking from experience.

To save yourself a hassle inform them of your intentions, but do not cancel over the phone.

The call to Eir is not to cancel, it's to inform them that you're leaving. They told me that because I didn't inform them then they'll send out a letter for payment for the remainder of my contract.

They did tell me to call back and they will cancel it

The call to Eir is not to cancel, it's to inform them that you're leaving. They told me that because I didn't inform them then they'll send out a letter for payment for the remainder of my contract.

They did tell me to call back and they will cancel it

They are incompetent, that I am certain of.

I got a final bill notification, but they already removed my account so I can't access it.

They asked for their router back, but they never sent one to me.

Luckily I got one spare Zyxel that they never asked to get back from previous contract.

Free routers when signing up, lol :)

I could go on and on.

They will charge you the remainder of the contract, but will cancel when you call?

Makes no sense to me.

They are incompetent, that I am certain of.

I got a final bill notification, but they already removed my account so I can't access it.

They asked for their router back, but they never sent one to me.

Luckily I got one spare Zyxel that they never asked to get back from previous contract.

Free routers when signing up, lol :)

I could go on and on.

They will charge you the remainder of the contract, but will cancel when you call?

Makes no sense to me.

This is Eir we're talking about. They may or may not send out that letter. I have recorded all calls with them so at least I have that on record in case they try and pull a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OniTenshi

Is the Sky bb still going for 30 quid? Looking at their site and I can only see it for 39, have I missed the boat on this one? Either way need to find an option to switch to from Eir in the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Regarding switching without notifying Eir, AFAIK the new provider can do it all without you contacting Eir. If you web search "comreg 13/114" there's a few results that explain it. Early cancellation fee is not allowed once you're out of contract and you don't need to give 30 days notice either.
    Probably still a good idea to let them know you're switching but record the call and make sure they don't cancel your line, otherwise it'll be a pain to reactivate with a new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I'm in the same boat as a few here, I switched over to sky and they informed me not to tell Eir, as if I do, they will disconnect the line which will make it very hard for Sky . I put up a post in the Eir thread and their rep was telling me I had to contact them that I was cancelling due to the price increase. So confused now on what to do. I may cancel my DAD now just incase I'm thinking, and get ready for a fight.

• Advertisement

djsim101 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as a few here, I switched over to sky and they informed me not to tell Eir, as if I do, they will disconnect the line which will make it very hard for Sky . I put up a post in the Eir thread and their rep was telling me I had to contact them that I was cancelling due to the price increase. So confused now on what to do. I may cancel my DAD now just incase I'm thinking, and get ready for a fight.

Get one of the eir reps on here to remove your bank details from their end too after you cancel or they'll try charge you a fee for a failed DD payment.

I rang and told them I was cancelling. Then I rang Vodafone and they handled the switch over. Took 10 days to switch service. No down time and line wasn't deactivated.

The advice I was given was to notify them you were cancelling. Then contact your new supplier and they will handle the switch. That way the line isn't deactivated. That was from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Owryan wrote: »
    I rang and told them I was cancelling. Then I rang Vodafone and they handled the switch over. Took 10 days to switch service. No down time and line wasn't deactivated.

The advice I was given was to notify them you were cancelling. Then contact your new supplier and they will handle the switch. That way the line isn't deactivated. That was from Vodafone.
    I think you ring them to state you intend on cancelling your contract and then get onto new suppliers and get them to do the dirty work.
    Btw just got my last eir bill today states that they owe me 12.47 happy days.

I seem to have received my final bill as well. Been billed up to the date I was switched over to new provider. Router is returned also. I am being told the total opposite on the Eir forum, but there you go :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BandMember

For those of you who planning on switching to Vodafone or Sky, it was in the paper that they are putting up their prices as well....

BandMember wrote: »
    For those of you who planning on switching to Vodafone or Sky, it was in the paper that they are putting up their prices as well....

Before we know it they'll all be charging 60 or 70 for broadband

I seem to have received my final bill as well. Been billed up to the date I was switched over to new provider. Router is returned also. I am being told the total opposite on the Eir forum, but there you go :-)

Did you ring them after you switched?

@Mickeroo - sure did, I was talking to a rep the other day who said that 10 days after my cancellation date, I would receive my final bill.
    This better be the end of it now :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sorry if answered already, but I too received the letter about the price increase.

Given that my contract was due to finish in January, does the price increase place you in a new contract or will it still be up in January like planned?

• Advertisement

@Mickeroo - sure did, I was talking to a rep the other day who said that 10 days after my cancellation date, I would receive my final bill.
    This better be the end of it now :-)

I'm in a similar situation so, will see what my final bill ends up as I guess.
    Yakult wrote: »
    Sorry if answered already, but I too received the letter about the price increase.

Given that my contract was due to finish in January, does the price increase place you in a new contract or will it still be up in January like planned?

Your contract should still finish in January as far as I know.

Advertisement