Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

Doltanian wrote: »
    Would anyone here mind either PM'ing me a copy of the letter or else posting here whilst redacting their own details for privacy reasons. I'm going to try chance my hand to get out of contract especially if they think they can up the price as I'm 6 months into an 18 month contract.

You probably don't need the letter, they have a special loyalty line set up just to deal with this. The number is 1800303449.

The letter is just a reworded version of https://www.eir.ie/pricingupdate/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

doniem wrote: »
    I was on a fibre broadband & home phone bundle with 2 mobile phones on the account also when I got the letter.

let us know how u get on

let us know how u get on

I did already bud, I'm the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I cancelled with Eir last week after getting letter of price hike and still no fibre on our road. they could not tell me when it would be connected. 2 days letter i get letter inpost letting me know fibre is now available to my house! are they hoping i will cancel my cancellation? anyone else get the same??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

whiterebel wrote: »
    Relax, they'll have to notify you, and give you the option to get out of contract anyway.

I can see them trying to pull a fast one here...Blame the post....

If you choose not to accept this change, you may withdraw from your contract without penalty by calling us on 1800 303 449 before the date detailed on the letter or flyer we sent you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I just spoke to the loyalty department on an unrelated matter. I asked him to check if al plans are affected and he said no, if I haven't got a letter by this stage, I'm probably not getting one. I'll probably get one in the post today.....:D

I've just heard from a few people eir are now saying you need to have been with them months before you can cancel contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I've just heard from a few people eir are now saying you need to have been with them months before you can cancel contract.

They can't do that. If they change the terms, that's their own problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Is there an option to cancel out of the contract and stay with them until another provider is found?

Just rang them for the laugh and they say all letters are on tracker. Only letters apply and only people that have been sent letters are valid to cancel account given they have hiked prices anyone that has had a contract before the date suggested they sent them out should have a right to cancel. So it seems they are trying to pull a fast one my three accounts are about mid way and she asked me to send a photo of the letter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Would love to get out of contract also, but having only BB only(non-fibre), don't want to sign new contract with Sky, incase fibre goes live in my area. Eir I'm sure will offer fibre quicker than other providers when the cabinet goes live.

I'm actually sick paying €50 odd for a 3mb(max 400k download speed), with no phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Any mobile-only customers received this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

If I don't cancel, would they see it that I signed a new 12 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BandMember

Plenty of long threads on boards re: the congestion issues with sky fibre

I would look at VF if switching from EIR

I would strongly advise against doing that - anyone I know who had (note: had) VF experienced nothing but problems and issues. So much so that they all ended up leaving. Not a good service at all, by first hand accounts. Definitely not a good option for those of you who like small rivers.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My whole family are on eir mobile contracts at 45€ month plus efibre, landline pay as you use, eir tv and efibre. Today I got the letter, switched 3 mobiles to 25€ sim only, 2 to payg, cancelled landline which they were going to charge me a fiver for, cancelled the eir tv whose 12 month free trial was up next month, then would have been stuck with 25€ month for 6 months.

Kept broadband for now but have till 19th October to switch. Guy said hed give me a switch number over phone once I decide who am switching to. Not sure if no landline will cause problem. 2 members family recently got S8 and HTCU11 and get to keep them as well 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Got my letter today, €5 increase. Currently have landline (rarely use but like to have it), unlimited broadband (but only 18mb available where I am in Bray) and eir TV (clunky and I hate it but my wife wants the record function) on 18 months to end of year. Initial discount done so paying I think 70 or 90 a month at present. Would love to switch but Siro won't be in Bray for a couple more months (so I hear) and Virgin line despite being across road from me isn't on my side of road, so I'm on the old cable. Do I have any better option? Has anyone got a reduction with monthly rolling contract or are you forced to min 12 months for them to do a deal?

The charge for landlines isn't required. The line still works, and every call is chargeable, but you can still accept incoming calls to the landline no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Got my letter yesterday. €6 increase. Tv, internet, landline and mobile. 6mths left in contract. I rang today & guy tried offering me a few options to stay. Firstly reduced price sky sports. Then said I didn't use landline much so he could cancel that and reduce the charge.

I said no thanks, I'd only consider staying for money off my monthly bill. He went off to talk to his manager for aboit 5 mins. Came back with a great offer of.......... €5 discount per month for the next 6 months......but only if I sign up for another 18mts!!!

Think I'll go back to Virgin. They said i can keep my eir landline phone number. Has anyone done this? Also with virgin do they still do everything though the tv cable? I.e. no landline req.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Letter received today. €5 increase.

More than happy to leave with Sky offering broadband for €30 :D

I had fibre from Sky before joining eir, so not sure if they will treat me as a new customer, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Just called eir and lady said there is no price increase on my bundle which sounds strange - i said that i got the letter and she said it was mistake..

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    Letter received today. €5 increase.

More than happy to leave with Sky offering broadband for €30 :D

I had fibre from Sky before joining eir, so not sure if they will treat me as a new customer, though.

Off the phone with eir - need to switch over within 30 days.

Rang Sky and all done.

€30 a month but if you sign up for broadband/phone only there is a €50 router to be paid for.

Just under €35 a month if you take router charge into account. €15 a month in my pocket.

Eir did it to themselves, I don't feel guilty at all. Thanks eir :D

Off the phone with eir - need to switch over within 30 days.

Rang Sky and all done.

€30 a month but if you sign up for broadband/phone only there is a €50 router to be paid for.

Just under €35 a month if you take router charge into account. €15 a month in my pocket.

Eir did it to themselves, I don't feel guilty at all. Thanks eir :D

I'd query that router charge, I didn't have to pay a cent for it, just the 30 a month.

I'd query that router charge, I didn't have to pay a cent for it, just the 30 a month.

I didn't pay last time (I don't even remember last time I paid for one), I did mention and questioned it over the phone, but he insisted they charge it to everyone now.

When did you order, and was it online or by phone, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Flaccus wrote:
    Kept broadband for now but have till 19th October to switch. Guy said hed give me a switch number over phone once I decide who am switching to. Not sure if no landline will cause problem. 2 members family recently got S8 and HTCU11 and get to keep them as well 😜

Definitely switch broadband so that you don't get charged the 100 per month for going over 1TB

Sixtoes wrote:
    Think I'll go back to Virgin. They said i can keep my eir landline phone number. Has anyone done this? Also with virgin do they still do everything though the tv cable? I.e. no landline req.

Yes, the cable modem has two phone plugs. They also have an app that allows you to answer your calls on your mobile phone. Which is handy if you're away from home.

I didn't pay last time (I don't even remember last time I paid for one), I did mention and questioned it over the phone, but he insisted they charge it to everyone now.

When did you order, and was it online or by phone, if you don't mind me asking?

It was the end of august, I started this thread the day I switched. I was with sky 2 years ago so maybe it's because of that there is no fee, I'm just guessing though.

It was the end of august, I started this thread the day I switched. I was with sky 2 years ago so maybe it's because of that there is no fee, I'm just guessing though.

I was with them year ago, conveniently switched to eir at the start of September so could avail of the new customer offer as I am just past 12 months.

While paying €50 upfront wasn't expected I am happy enough with the savings anyway.

I hope it wasn't a rip off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Just called eir and lady said there is no price increase on my bundle which sounds strange - i said that i got the letter and she said it was mistake..
    Get them to send another letter to confirm what the Eir lady said. Watch your bank account as well for an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

€5 increase here but I'll be sticking with them as virtually flawless 100MB broadband and BT Sport for that price is still exceptional value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

loki7777 wrote: »

If you want out of your contract I think you are within your rights to say tough you wrote to me telling me my terms and conditions are changing. I am exercising my right to void the contract.

Ring the consumer helpline on 1890 432 432 or 01 402 5555 and ask can they just retract it because you tried to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The letter seemed a bit confusing to me. Is it increasing as a result of the increased cost of calls or is there a 5 euro increase along with the increased cost of calls?

Advertisement