Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

Yes, and Sky wiil eke further dosh from you by charging you €30.00 per month line rental ,when all the other providers charge €25.50 per month. Go figure !!!

Just to be clear with this particular offer the line rental is included in the €30 per month.

Again I'm not promoting sky or anything, for me the bargain alert here is getting out of the contract early.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

Anyone know if all bundles are going up?? Currently paying €92 with about 6months left of my original 24 month contract. Wouldn't mind cancelling as we are moving to a new place shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I wouldn't be rushing to join sky if it's fibre you have

Speeds not as good as VF/Eir and the like due to congestion on the backhaul

Its exactly the same line and system and speeds you would get on the same speed package with any provider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Wondering this myself - don't have a phone or line in my apartment, so imagine eir might charge me to set one up first before I can avail of the sky offer (or can sky do this directly as gabbo asked)?

I'm in the same boat. Tried to move to Sky bb and was told I needed a line. Was also told I could be without bb for a month during the migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

thegills wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Tried to move to Sky bb and was told I needed a line. Was also told I could be without bb for a month during the migration.

same :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Great news, if they send me that letter I'm bailing out.
    Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

00sully wrote: »
    same :o

But will they sort out installing the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

much rigmarole between Sky and Eir trying to move if you don't have an "Active" landline

for whatever reason, if you are on broadband only with Eir Sky can't seamlessly switch you without an active phone line - even though you have the same physical infrastructure capability. Of course Eir can do this remotely for you IF you enter a new contract and take line rental with you.

This won't work for most people to avail of this if you are mid contract. You can cancel Eir with the price increase get out of contract and then have Sky re-enable the lines. This potentially means Eir disabling the line, and a Sky engineer having to come out to re-enable. crazy stuff for a switchover which can leave you without service for an unknown period between disconnection and re-connection (Sky told me it could be arranged same day - yeah right try do that with 2 companies and contract engineers!)

My contract ends in 17 days, so I am going to enter a new contract with an enabled phone line, switch to Sky seamlessly and use the cooling off period with Eir of 14 days to cancel my contract. fricking crazy - still saves me almost €250 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Del007 wrote: »
    Do you have sky tv in order to get the sky broadband for 30?

Phoned them yesterday and they'd either charge me €55 a month, or for €30 I could have 1Mb speed.

They also said the getting the TV too would save me 1.40 a month, and give me a dual band router.

€50 installation for the broadband (couldn't they just post out the kit and I'd plug it in?). Only €25 installation for the TV, and that would include getting a new dish, and running the cables into the house. All seems a bit mad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

doniem wrote:
    The letter said that if I was unhappy with the increase I can leave the contract without penalty in the next 30 days. I did just that today and reduced my €140 a month package (broadband and 2 mobiles) to €70 a month (I switched my broadband to sky who currently have it for €30 a month and my 2 mobiles to sim only for €20 a month each)

I'm not sure why companies are doing this now. Three did the same a few months ago. From the companies point of view I'd have thought that people in contract do not get the price increase till contract ended. They will loose more money letting you out of the contract early. Madness from their point of view imo but a big bonus for the customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

I wonder does this apply to solely mobile contracts too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why companies are doing this now. Three did the same a few months ago. From the companies point of view I'd have thought that people in contract do not get the price increase till contract ended. They will loose more money letting you out of the contract early. Madness from their point of view imo but a big bonus for the customer

They've all done it for quite a while and continue to do so on an almost annual basis. You'd be surprised at the amount of customers who will ignore the correspondence they receive and just continue on their overpriced contract for year after year. The companies depend on this - sure we've had threads lately of people who've been with sky for 10-15 years having issues with their receiver box, not Q, not Sky+, the old while scart only box from 10-15 years ago.

Obviously the company feel they will make more money with the increase than lose to customer churn and hence continually proceed with these increases.

And yes, it is a great bonus for knowledgeable customers. At the very least, they should use this to haggle a better deal if they don't want to swap provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Run,I did took a while but worth it,hard to believe I'm still receiving e-bill s from them 12 months later, customer care my ass, complete rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Got the Eir letter yesterday. We're not in contract with them - but we've been wanting to leave them for a while, but I suppose when your business depends on BB, you don't want any downtime or find out after ending Eir that next company will cause problems connecting up.

I'm considering the SKY offer for €30/month - but from what I've read upload is only 1MB/s is this correct or a typo? Like I said we manage our business from home, and do upload a lot of things. Can anyone verify?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

soc wrote: »
    I'm considering the SKY offer for €30/month - but from what I've read upload is only 1MB/s is this correct or a typo? Like I said we manage our business from home, and do upload a lot of things. Can anyone verify?
    In theory you should get the same speeds and unless you are on the basic broadband (not fibre) and located a couple of miles fro the local exchange then I dont really see you getting uploads as low as 1Mb/s

If you contact Sky they should be in a position to tell you the "expected" upload and download speeds. You can ask over in the Sky talk to forum and then send them a PM with your name and phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

soc wrote: »
    Got the Eir letter yesterday. We're not in contract with them - but we've been wanting to leave them for a while, but I suppose when your business depends on BB, you don't want any downtime or find out after ending Eir that next company will cause problems connecting up.

Just did a Speedtest on Sky broadband. I got 19.12Mbps upload speed over wifi upstairs. Box is downstairs

Edit: another speed test downstairs got me 28.69 upload

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jonny_b wrote: »
    speed over wifi upstairs. Box is downstairs
    Identical situation here. Just ran a test and I got 25 down and 12 up which Im a bit disappointed with as its normally around 50% faster than that. The phone line was just fixed this morning so I'll need to check the speeds again over the next couple of days.

On a wire connection downstairs I typically get 60+ down and about 24 up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

We switched last week from Vodafone and the Sky Q Fibre modem seems pretty decent. It broadcasts further than the normal Vodafone Fibre modem. I have noticed that the internet has stalled several times since moving over to Sky but I'm putting that down to the switch itself. Otherwise the speeds are the same as Vodafone. I rang Eir about switching to them last week solely as we needed a new modem and they were 120e more expensive annually than our current package with Vodafone and ended up saving 180 by moving to Sky, bundle that with the 150euro welcome bonus Sky had last week I think it was well worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    We switched last week from Vodafone and the Sky Q Fibre modem seems pretty decent. It broadcasts further than the normal Vodafone Fibre modem. I have noticed that the internet has stalled several times since moving over to Sky but I'm putting that down to the switch itself. Otherwise the speeds are the same as Vodafone. I rang Eir about switching to them last week solely as we needed a new modem and they were 120e more expensive annually than our current package with Vodafone and ended up saving 180 by moving to Sky, bundle that with the 150euro welcome bonus Sky had last week I think it was well worth it :D

What welcome bonus was that? I didn't see that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Del007 wrote: »
    What welcome bonus was that? I didn't see that at all

Welcome bonus by way of a 150e Mastercard. When I went to order it also gave me 20% off TV too, free broadband activation and 25e install for Sky Q. Pretty good deal in my eyes with the savings compared to current set up. I believe it ended last Thursday night- the modem was delivered by An Post Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Use the WiFi analyser app on Android to check what if your channel is also being used by your neighbours as that'll affect your WiFi speeds. I check regularly and change channels on the router to one that is not as cluttered or free.

I also prefer to use the 5GHZ band as not many people are using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Use the WiFi analyser app on Android to check what if your channel is also being used by your neighbours as that'll affect your WiFi speeds. I check regularly and change channels on the router to one that is not as cluttered or free.

I also prefer to use the 5GHZ band as not many people are using it.

I've just downloaded the app and I've no idea what I'm looking at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Is this only broadband customers or does it apply to meteor mobile customers also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

whats best offers they giving for broadband and fone

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I haven't got any bill increase letter. Wonder how they are choosing who to send it too. I have a mobile/phone/bb package paying €70 and would will first chance I get.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can whoever got a letter notification please post what bundle they are on? Just so some of us (including me :) ) not to get their hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In the next two weeks prepare for a price hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

Can whoever got a letter notification please post what bundle they are on? Just so some of us (including me :) ) not to get their hopes up.

I was on a fibre broadband & home phone bundle with 2 mobile phones on the account also when I got the letter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Would anyone here mind either PM'ing me a copy of the letter or else posting here whilst redacting their own details for privacy reasons. I'm going to try chance my hand to get out of contract especially if they think they can up the price as I'm 6 months into an 18 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Doltanian wrote: »
    Would anyone here mind either PM'ing me a copy of the letter or else posting here whilst redacting their own details for privacy reasons. I'm going to try chance my hand to get out of contract especially if they think they can up the price as I'm 6 months into an 18 month contract.

Relax, they'll have to notify you, and give you the option to get out of contract anyway.

Advertisement