Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin V Mayo .. opinions on the final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

treble1999 wrote: »
    This will be a complete stroll in the park for Dublin. Can see them winning by 10-15 points.

I doubt that kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

To be honest this Mayo team look like they have been working towards the AI final. They struggled through most games just doing enough, that was until Kerry replay. They look like the have achieved peaking. I am not sure who will win, it will only be the kick of a ball. Hopefully it is not a referring decision, anyway hopefully Dublin manage three in a row. It will cement them as the best team in the modern era, or maybe ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

robbiezero wrote: »
    The Kerry games might have helped Mayo in that regard. The first day out, they were the better team, but didn't have the conviction to finish off Kerry and showed them far too much respect, whereas the second game, they went for them from start to finish and won quite comfortably.
    This might stand to them in the final if they can get a lead up, they won't panic as they did in drawn game 2 years ago.

I don't think one can understate the significance of Mayo getting over the line against Kerry,huge psychological boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

akelly02 wrote: »
    im from offaly but yea, fire ahead

Sure lookit, safe as houses that bet :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I reckon Mayo to win by 10-15 points and both O'Connors to get MOTM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

statto25 wrote: »
    I reckon Mayo to win by 10-15 points and both O'Connors to get MOTM.

Agreed...Aidan O'Shea to score four goals in the first ten minutes from full back :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I think this will be a meeting of the 2 tactically strongest managers in the game so I can see there being a real cagey element to it.
    However I just cant see the Dublin backline being as bad as Kerrys was and for all their dominacne- Mayo werent able to put Kerry away and could have been under more pressure but for a, relatively soft, red card.

So due to Dublin being more clinical and having more options in terms of tactical range- I'd go with Dublin by 2

How in the name of jaysus could that be described as a ''relatively soft red card'' it was the most blatant, iron cast red card you could ever see, he's lucky there wasn't criminal charges, it was assault? Or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

From what I was reading a lot of the dub fans wanted kerry to win in the SF, as they know they can beat Kerry.
    Mayo can beat dublin. They just need a bit of luck going their way in the final. eg A fumbled cluxton catch into goal.

They just need to not cough up goal chances, which is why I'd be afraid of Kev Mc for the dubs, he can score a goal out of a nothing ball, never mind a point. Another player MDMA What's the story with him these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Agreed, straight red (assault), but AOS was lucky not to receive on for stamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kieran Donaghys county are not involved ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ArielAtom wrote: »
    To be honest this Mayo team look like they have been working towards the AI final. They struggled through most games just doing enough, that was until Kerry replay. They look like the have achieved peaking. I am not sure who will win, it will only be the kick of a ball. Hopefully it is not a referring decision, anyway hopefully Dublin manage three in a row. It will cement them as the best team in the modern era, or maybe ever.

Its easy to say that; if Bryan Sheehan had scored that free the first day we wouldnt be saying it.

I would say Mayo find it difficult to get worked up for league games and Connaught championship games at this point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This is a popcorn thread, already some of the comments are down for "posts of the year";

I'm guessing few predicted last years draw, Mayos path through to the AI Final, Mayos win easily against Kerry after the replay, Dublins total lesson against Tyrone, that Galway and Waterford would be in the AI final next Sunday. so if they have then they are worth listening, the rest is pure guessing at this stage.

Dublin are odds on to win and rightly so, but we've been watching football long enough, its on the day.

If any of the regulars are about on the day up there we might meet for a cuppa before hand (I'm driving, ye can drink!), before battle commences! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

danganabu wrote: »
    How in the name of jaysus could that be described as a ''relatively soft red card'' it was the most blatant, iron cast red card you could ever see, he's lucky there wasn't criminal charges, it was assault? Or am I missing something here?

Presume he's talking about Crowley's red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very unlucky alright,second yellow was pretty harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

yop wrote: »
    This is a popcorn thread, already some of the comments are down for "posts of the year";

I'm guessing few predicted last years draw, Mayos path through to the AI Final, Mayos win easily against Kerry after the replay, Dublins total lesson against Tyrone, that Galway and Waterford would be in the AI final next Sunday. so if they have then they are worth listening, the rest is pure guessing at this stage.

Dublin are odds on to win and rightly so, but we've been watching football long enough, its on the day.

If any of the regulars are about on the day up there we might meet for a cuppa before hand (I'm driving, ye can drink!), before battle commences! :)

Agreed.

Dublin are favourites, no question.

Mayo can beat them, no question.

Interesting thing for me is what needs to happen for Mayo to beat Dublin.

In that respect, the first thing I'd be looking at is the referee.....and this is a luck of the draw thing.....if Mayo had a key player sent off early on, its probably game over. If Dublin had a key player sent off early on, it gives Mayo a much better chance.

The next is the weather. My own view would be that a wet day suits Mayo much better, I might be wrong there, but it makes Dublin's passing game harder to execute.

Next after that is key Mayo players; can Andy Moran maintain his form.

Next after that is what happens in the first 15 minutes. Against Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare and Westmeath - the Dubs were 7-8 points up after 15 minutes. Nobody comes into a match against Dublin with a plan to come back from 8 points down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Nobody comes into a match against Dublin with a plan to come back from 8 points down.

Mayo might be the exception to that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

kupus wrote: »
    From what I was reading a lot of the dub fans wanted kerry to win in the SF, as they know they can beat Kerry.
    Mayo can beat dublin.

I don't know about that, Mayo haven't beat Dublin in the championship since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I don't know about that, Mayo haven't beat Dublin in the championship since 2012.

And before last Saturday, we hadn't beaten Kerry in 21 years. It really is all on the day.

It's a pity we have to be facing this Dublin team. They're phenomenal but this Mayo team can never be written off. Got to travel to Croker with belief.

Mayo by four points.

Was thinking I was missing something :D

Even still game was well over when Crowley got his marching orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mayo have only come back from seven points down, not eight. That's the problem.. :)
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Nobody comes into a match against Dublin with a plan to come back from 8 points down.
    Misguided1 wrote: »
    Mayo might be the exception to that;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If both teams play to their full potential then there is only one clear winner.  However, its all what happens on the day, momentum shifts can happen, like a Mayo goal which lifts them to a level they have never been for period of the game  or a black or red card  and the referees performance can have a huge bearing, some of Dublins tackling against Tyrone was amazing and in a way Tyrone were too honest, if Mannion was doing the same to COC, you can be sure that COC will try and fool the ref into a foul, he has perfected that art, great if you are a Mayo fan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kupus wrote:
    From what I was reading a lot of the dub fans wanted kerry to win in the SF, as they know they can beat Kerry. Mayo can beat dublin. They just need a bit of luck going their way in the final. eg A fumbled cluxton catch into goal.

We just wanted to beat Kerry again.
    That's a genuine position.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Stoner wrote: »
    We just wanted to beat Kerry again.
    That's a genuine position.

Yes, never get tired of beating Kerry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Very unlucky alright,second yellow was pretty harsh.

I don't think so, hadn't he ust let him off before that , and possibly antother time again, you know yourself when you get a tick in the book and you do it again very soon after it's often a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

True, although he was persistently fouling from the start, so it is possible that this is what he got the second yellow for. If it was then I give Gough some credit, as this is in fact quite cynical behaviour.

Id argue Durkan's red card was even more ridiculous to be honest with you. When you consider what Morley did at the throw in, how this can be deemed a second yellow card with no warning offered is hard to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

True, although he was persistently fouling from the start, so it is possible that this is what he got the second yellow for. If it was then I give Gough some credit, as this is in fact quite cynical behaviour.

Id argue Durkan's red card was even more ridiculous to be honest with you. When you consider what Morley did at the throw in, how this can be deemed a second yellow card with no warning offered is hard to comprehend.

The only card that was possibly undeserved and possibly had an effect on the result was the black for Darren O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

blanch152 wrote: »
    The only card that was possibly undeserved and possibly had an affect on the result was the black for Darren O'Sullivan.

Agreed. Mayo were in the clear. And only few minutes left. Foolish by Durkan to get involved in a handbags tussle at that stage. I know he’s only human and emotions and adrenaline can take over, but he shouldn’t be providing the referee with a decision to make. He got a red earlier in the year for an off the ball punch against Derry. 2 red cards in 9 matches is a lot, considering he has been sub for some of them.
    I do feel aggrieved for Darren O’Sullivan. I won’t open the whole can of worms re black cards again – but the consequences of a wrong interpretation from an official for what is deemed to be a black card is just too severe on the player. One thing I don’t understand about that incident (and maybe I’m wrong on this) – wasn’t it Kerry who were on the front foot heading towards the Mayo goal, and Daren O’Sullivan started sprinting after the ball before himself and COC “bumped” into each other (Cillian was basically static). When the referee/linesman was making a decision, did he not factor in that it was clear that DOS was chasing after the ball. Why the hell would he want to body check O’Connor. O’Connor was going nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Black cards are essential to cut out cynicism in the game, but agreed their implementation can be wildly misinterpreted by referees. Some glaring black cards are not awarded, some not so obvious are. I suppose it comes with an amateur sport and amateur referees and everything decided in real time. UnlessVideo Assistant Referees are introduced sometime soon (unlikely) its something that will have to be put up with by all counties. Depending how crucial a player is, it could determine the result of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Remember the panel interview last year after the replay to wrap up the team of the year etc.
    Des Cahill asked the entire panel "Can Mayo win the AL next year?"

I'm pretty sure each single panellist said No with not one of them making a case for the potential of it happening. This after losing to what is deemed one of the all time great teams by a point in a replay.

Now I'm not saying Mayo will win it this year but surely there was always a good chance they would be there or there abouts in 2017, nobody was of an age to be considering leaving the panel and they have been only been put out of the championship by the team that eventually won the AL since 2011.

I'm really looking forward to this game, 2 best teams in the country going head to head for second year in a row. Dublin deserved favourites but ya can be sure Mayo will give it an almighty rattle.

• Advertisement

Remember the panel interview last year after the replay to wrap up the team of the year etc.
    Des Cahill asked the entire panel "Can Mayo win the AL next year?"

I'm pretty sure each single panellist said No with not one of them making a case for the potential of it happening. This after losing to what is deemed one of the all time great teams by a point in a replay.

Now I'm not saying Mayo will win it this year but surely there was always a good chance they would be there or there abouts in 2017, nobody was of an age to be considering leaving the panel and they have been only been put out of the championship by the team that eventually won the AL since 2011.

I'm really looking forward to this game, 2 best teams in the country going head to head for second year in a row. Dublin deserved favourites but ya can be sure Mayo will give it an almighty rattle.

I guess it really depends on whether the questions was ''can they win'' or ''will they win'' - two very different questions to be fair.

Advertisement