Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin V Mayo .. opinions on the final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Agreed. Mayo were in the clear. And only few minutes left. Foolish by Durkan to get involved in a handbags tussle at that stage. I know he’s only human and emotions and adrenaline can take over, but he shouldn’t be providing the referee with a decision to make. He got a red earlier in the year for an off the ball punch against Derry. 2 red cards in 9 matches is a lot, considering he has been sub for some of them.
    I do feel aggrieved for Darren O’Sullivan. I won’t open the whole can of worms re black cards again – but the consequences of a wrong interpretation from an official for what is deemed to be a black card is just too severe on the player. One thing I don’t understand about that incident (and maybe I’m wrong on this) – wasn’t it Kerry who were on the front foot heading towards the Mayo goal, and Daren O’Sullivan started sprinting after the ball before himself and COC “bumped” into each other (Cillian was basically static). When the referee/linesman was making a decision, did he not factor in that it was clear that DOS was chasing after the ball. Why the hell would he want to body check O’Connor. O’Connor was going nowhere.

No, mayo were in attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Drumpot wrote: »

Now I am sure I could post some other information but I'm not sure where the Mayo over confidence is coming from. Of course they should be looking forward to the final and they might win it.. But a lot of things have to go their way on the day, particularly their tactics, for them to win.

Havent seen any overconfidence in Mayo whatsoever...In fact above any year, its more of a hope that we might win than anything...Cant agree that theres any overconfidence in Mayo this year at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Drumpot wrote: »
    Dublin are multiple all Ireland winners
    They just destroyed the Ulster champions, who many believed would god then a real challenge
    Dublin have the strongest bench in the country
    Dublin have beaten Mayo in finals
    Dublin look in as good a shape as they have looked the last 10 years
    Dublin have lost 1 game in 3 years

Now I am sure I could post some other information but I'm not sure where the Mayo over confidence is coming from. Of course they should be looking forward to the final and they might win it.. But a lot of things have to go their way on the day, particularly their tactics, for them to win.

I have yet to see a Mayo fan this year saying they're definitely going to win. They know better than to say that. The vast majority of this thread is people talking about how unbeatable Dublin are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dubs by 10

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

robbiezero wrote: »
    There was no evidence only their Ulster championship form that Tyrone would put it up to Dublin, I actually thought that they would.
    However there is plenty of evidence of Mayo being able to put it up to Dublin.[/
    QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking, what is the evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

yobr wrote: »

Last years final going to a replay that was won by a single point. The semi final in 2015 going to a replay when Mayo were 7 points down at one stage in that game.

Getting to 4 finals in 6 years.

Improving with every game this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Sure, Dublin will probably bate us out the gate by about 30 points, maybe more depending on how they feel on the day. Philly might do a stint in goal to save a penalty while Clucko goes out the field to get a couple of marks and take a few frees cos Dean Rock couldn't be bothered doing them anymore. Then they'll bring on some 14 year old from Finglas that no one has ever heard of and he'll run the length of the pitch on Aidan O'Shea's back and a fire in a goal thus granting him player of the year, which will be presented at half time. Then Dermo will come on in the 72nd minute and pop a couple of goals before the whistle. Jim Gavin will then fly the team out to Barbados before the trophy presentation and the Mayo team will weep into their pints in Matt Molloy's until Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PressRun wrote: »
    Sure, Dublin will probably bate us out the gate by about 30 points, maybe more depending on how they feel on the day. Philly might do a stint in goal to save a penalty while Clucko goes out the field to get a couple of marks and take a few frees cos Dean Rock couldn't be bothered doing them anymore. Then they'll bring on some 14 year old from Finglas that no one has ever heard of and he'll run the length of the pitch on Aidan O'Shea's back and a fire in a goal thus granting him player of the year, which will be presented at half time. Then Dermo will come on in the 72nd minute and pop a couple of goals before the whistle. Jim Gavin will then fly the team out to Barbados before the trophy presentation and the Mayo team will weep into their pints in Matt Molloy's until Christmas.

Only after it goes to a replay.

Last years final going to a replay that was won by a single point. The semi final in 2015 going to a replay when Mayo were 7 points down at one stage in that game. .

True but Dublin won all those matches.
    Getting to 4 finals in 6 years..

So have Dublin and won three of them
    Improving with every game this year.

In fairness, some of the early performances in the qualifiers were dire and the only way was up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Thread has gone to f***. Time to have some sensible discussion in the local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭robbiezero

robbiezero wrote: »
    There was no evidence only their Ulster championship form that Tyrone would put it up to Dublin, I actually thought that they would.
    However there is plenty of evidence of Mayo being able to put it up to Dublin.[/
    QUOTE]

Last two championship games between them went to replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    As opposed to Mayo who never take a player off the ball?

They do, but taking a player off the ball wasn't the topic of conversation. It was specifically players on the attacking team taking out defenders. Guys like McMahon and McCarthy do this often, in fact it is exactly what McCarthy got the black card for in last years drawn final, and any micky harte team will do this and more. I actually wish mayo did it more but that is beside the point.

I just think it is sad that nobody can make a genuine observation without someone trying to go after the county of that person. It is depressing.
    I'd say there is a good chance that you are one of the Dublin fans who booed Donegal hand-passing backwards against Dublin, and then cheered Dublin hand-passing backwards against Tyrone - without a hint of irony. Stop being so childish, people should be able to make fair observations without it automatically becoming a p*ssing match.

That's for the Championship thread. This is proving a useful dumping ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

True but Dublin won all those matches.

So have Dublin and won three of them

In fairness, some of the early performances in the qualifiers were dire and the only way was up.

You asked for evidence of Mayo "being able to put it up to Dublin"

You got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

You got it.

Threads like this are always a complete mess before a final

I'm sure we're not far off a debate on which team has nicer hairstyles

jr86 wrote: »
    Threads like this are always a complete mess before a final

I'm sure we're not far off a debate on which team has nicer hairstyles

Well its clearly Mayo....Cant believe you even want to debate it

jj72 wrote: »
    Well its clearly Mayo....Cant believe you even want to debate it

What if they start Brogan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They do, but taking a player off the ball wasn't the topic of conversation. It was specifically players on the attacking team taking out defenders. Guys like McMahon and McCarthy do this often, in fact it is exactly what McCarthy got the black card for in last years drawn final, and any micky harte team will do this and more. I actually wish mayo did it more but that is beside the point.

I just think it is sad that nobody can make a genuine observation without someone trying to go after the county of that person. It is depressing.
    I'd say there is a good chance that you are one of the Dublin fans who booed Donegal hand-passing backwards against Dublin, and then cheered Dublin hand-passing backwards against Tyrone - without a hint of irony. Stop being so childish, people should be able to make fair observations without it automatically becoming a p*ssing match.

You are having a go at a poster and the county of a poster, while giving out about people having a go at counties of posters and posters from certain counties.

And you think they are the ones who don't know the meaning of irony?

Mind officially blown ! :eek:

PARlance wrote: »

I stand corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You are having a go at a poster and the county of a poster, while giving out about people having a go at counties of posters and posters from certain counties.

I think you know this poster at this stage ;)

Thread is entertaining anyway! :D

Lotto number PLEASE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Even at 10:44 am I would have to agree :D:D

You got it.

True. However, at this point, if I were a Mayo supporter, I would not be interested in "putting it up to Dublin", I would be interested in winning the game. In asking the question, I was really looking for a view from the Mayo perspective on that latter aspect.

True. However, at this point, if I were a Mayo supporter, I would not be interested in "putting it up to Dublin", I would be interested in winning the game. In asking the question, I was really looking for a view from the Mayo perspective on that latter aspect.

Bend your knees now when you are moving those goalposts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

lukesmom wrote: »
    Sick to the teeth of it. They should rename it the 'Sam Maguire Dublin cup'. Nobody seems to have a chance against the dubs. They are phenomenal. Fair play to the team who put in all the hard work just like Mayo do. But the difference is the dublin squad have a huge amount of resources and money pumped into it from underage up. It's extremely lob sided and extremely frustrating to watch Mayo slog their hearts out but never get past the line. I'm a die hard mayo fan because my dad is from belmullet and played for Mayo for many hears. And the heartache caused by not winning an all Ireland is sickening year after year. How do these lads on the dublin team work a full week and maintain that level of fitness that they do? They can play in Croke Park it's so handy for them. No travelling. Easy. Sickening.

I'd agree with this.

From the early 2000s onwards Dublin started to accumulate huge financial resources. Along with that, the population of Dublin continues to grow significantly. In addition, collective training is not a problem in Dublin, twice a day if required. Add to that all the behind the scenes resources at their disposal.

It took them a few years to master the Leinster championship but now they have, and turned it into a Scottish Premier League like farce. The chances of the likes of Offaly, Laois, Wexford, Carlow, Longford, Wicklow and even Meath and Kildare winning a Leinster title in the next 7 or 8 years are nil. They've rendered a once evenly balanced competition completely pointless and a joke. They are now doing the same to the All-Ireland. Donegal caught them cold in 2014 but they have learned from that and won't let it happen again. Tyrone and Kerry can't touch them in the championship, both considered "top teams". Mayo is the best hope and Mayo have a fantastic team and players, but again have no hope of having the same pick of talented players as Dublin. The population of Dublin county is something like 10 times that of Mayos. People might say "yeh but, what about China or India in soccer, how come they don't win WCs?" Because they don't have a strong tradition in the sport. Dublin do in gaelic football.

In my opinion, the current 32 county format of football is gradually becoming obsolete. Its time to look at something else if the competition wants to remain interesting. There is no hope of lesser counties matching the resources of a Dublin, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

danganabu wrote: »
    Bend your knees now when you are moving those goalposts :D

Boards.ie needs a multiple Thanks button for posts just like this.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

The chances of the likes of Offaly, Laois, Wexford, Carlow, Longford, Wicklow and even Meath and Kildare winning a Leinster title in the next 7 or 8 years are nil.

Bit of exaggeration there I have to say. Yes they will be massive favourites for the next few years but firstly 5 years, let alone 7 or 8 is a huge huge length of time in GAA and secondly just take Kildare as an example they have been in 4 of the last 5 Minor Leinster Final and won 3 of them. They will become a threat.

Rather than complain about what Dublin have and what Dublin do etc etc maybe everyone else ( Mayo aside to be fair) need to take a closer look to home and get their own sh1t in order, Dublin have raised the bar, not let everyone else who so desires attempt to reach that bar. As some of the defenders of the current structures have pointed out there was none of this bleating and crying when Kerry were dominating, no dynasty lasts forever and you don't have to go back as far as Kerry either, just look at the hurling, around 2007, 2008 no one was ever going to be able to beat KK again, then Tipp got their act together, after a year or two of close calls finally got over the line and were then themselves heralded as a team that was going to dominate for a decade, dint happen, and Kilkenny came back as good as ever but that has now come to an end as well.

Sport is cyclical and always has been. The fact that it happens to be Dublin at the minute has opened the door for lazy and quite frankly bullsh1t excuses from the also rans.

yop wrote: »
    I think you know this poster at this stage ;)

Thread is entertaining anyway! :D

Lotto number PLEASE :D

Ah sure, it passes the time of day. :D

What else would you be at?

There is at least another week to go, before the media conspiracy malarkey heats up, someone whinges about the choice of ref, or we find a suitable substitute to replace the Dermo vs Leeroy drama. 'Tis fierce awful awful bad manners from the two lads, to have had a serious bacterial infections in their legs and be sitting out 12 week bans, instead of entertaining us !

How ya fixed for the aul ticead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:

You're growing on me.

Add to that all the behind the scenes resources at their disposal.

The chances of the likes of Offaly, Laois, Wexford, Carlow, Longford, Wicklow and even Meath and Kildare winning a Leinster title in the next 7 or 8 years are nil.

I'm not sure its always been a question of having no resources, in the past we have seen Kildare recruit Mick O'Dwyer, and Westmeath recruit Paidi o'Shea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah sure, it passes the time of day. :D

What else would you be at?

There is at least another week to go, before the media conspiracy malarkey heats up, someone whinges about the choice of ref, or we find a suitable substitute to replace the Dermo vs Leeroy drama. 'Tis fierce awful awful bad manners from the two lads, to have had a serious bacterial infections in their legs and be sitting out 12 week bans, instead of entertaining us !

How ya fixed for the aul ticead?

100% attendance so fully covered! :) Your an ST as well aren't u?
    You forgot the growing about the seating section :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PARlance wrote: »

Then we'll get Mortimor and MacDonald out of retirement.
    Master tactician, I am.

Bit of exaggeration there I have to say. Yes they will be massive favourites for the next few years but firstly 5 years, let alone 7 or 8 is a huge huge length of time in GAA and secondly just take Kildare as an example they have been in 4 of the last 5 Minor Leinster Final and won 3 of them. They will become a threat.

Rather than complain about what Dublin have and what Dublin do etc etc maybe everyone else ( Mayo aside to be fair) need to take a closer look to home and get their own sh1t in order, Dublin have raised the bar, not let everyone else who so desires attempt to reach that bar. As some of the defenders of the current structures have pointed out there was none of this bleating and crying when Kerry were dominating, no dynasty lasts forever and you don't have to go back as far as Kerry either, just look at the hurling, around 2007, 2008 no one was ever going to be able to beat KK again, then Tipp got their act together, after a year or two of close calls finally got over the line and were then themselves heralded as a team that was going to dominate for a decade, dint happen, and Kilkenny came back as good as ever but that has now come to an end as well.

Sport is cyclical and always has been. The fact that it happens to be Dublin at the minute has opened the door for lazy and quite frankly bullsh1t excuses from the also rans.

You didn't fully understand my post which is hardly surprising. Maybe if you took off your sky blue tinted glasses you'd understand.

Dublin have attained near professional status for a variety of reasons, mainly to do with population, financial resources, behind the scene resources, collective training opportunities, as well as the presence of sporting centres of excellence such as a number of universities in the capital. This combination is denied to everyone else.

No other county can hope to aspire to this near state of professionalism. When one county is professional and the rest amateurs trying their best, of course the professional county will be streets ahead.

There is nothing cyclical about the current state of gaelic football, just as there is nothing cyclical about Scottish football. The cycle in GAA has been smashed to pieces. Ideally the GAA would make some effort to restore the cyclical nature of it, but I don't hold out much hope.

yop wrote: »
    100% attendance so fully covered! :) Your an ST as well aren't u?
    You forgot the growing about the seating section :D

Parnell Pass holder, almost the same thing. Hands down, the best 120 quid I spend every year ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm one of those that last season thought Dublin looked lethargic and stilted throughout their entire campaign, that they were not playing to their full potential and were blessed to get over the line in the end. It didn't surprise me, its incredibly hard to maintain those levels of hunger and even the very best of players get stale after a few years, so seeing the likes of Flynn and Connolly be good but not great was only to be expected.

This season I see a much fresher and more confident side, the fact that 5/6 of the first team are new young players has made a massive difference to them and without any noticeable drop in quality. I don't buy that they have only played weak teams, they do that every year, you can still assess their performances and what I am seeing is a top quality team looking lean and mean and making everybody else look bad.

I wish it were otherwise but Mayo's chance was last year and they didn't take it, and I genuinely think that Dublin could do a number on them this time around.

You didn't fully understand my post which is hardly surprising. Maybe if you took off your sky blue tinted glasses you'd understand.

Dublin have attained near professional status for a variety of reasons, mainly to do with population, financial resources, behind the scene resources, collective training opportunities, as well as the presence of sporting centres of excellence such as a number of universities in the capital. This combination is denied to everyone else.

No other county can hope to aspire to this near state of professionalism. When one county is professional and the rest amateurs trying their best, of course the professional county will be streets ahead.

There is nothing cyclical about the current state of gaelic football, just as there is nothing cyclical about Scottish football. The cycle in GAA has been smashed to pieces. Ideally the GAA would make some effort to restore the cyclical nature of it, but I don't hold out much hope.

All those factors were at play too, during the nearly 30 year period when Dublin only won one All Ireland, between 1983 and 2011. Back when Kerry, Tyrone, Galway and Co were hoovering up All Irelands, no one one was giving out then, about DCU/DIT/UCD all being in Dublin, or population size, or the size of the Arnotts sponsorship pot etc etc. Funny that ! :rolleyes:

All those factors were at play too, during the nearly 30 year period when Dublin only won one All Ireland, between 1983 and 2011. Back when Kerry, Tyrone, Galway and Co were hoovering up All Irelands, no one one was giving out then, about DCU/DIT/UCD all being in Dublin, or population size, or the size of the Arnotts sponsorship pot etc etc. Funny that ! :rolleyes:

Vastly more resources now, vastly more professional now.

The game has moved on.

In the period you mention, a team of talented footballers could win an AI without too much trouble.

Nowaways you need an army behind the scenes helping out, video analysts, nutritionists, strength and conditioning, sports psychologists, etc You also need a strong squad with 5 or 6 subs coming on as good as going off. How many can call on the squad Dublin have? No-one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Danganabu with sky blue tinted glasses:eek:!!!!! He won't be able to show his face around home for a couple of months after that.

Danganabu with sky blue tinted glasses:eek:!!!!! He won't be able to show his face around home for a couple of months after that.

Well there was certainly a pro Dublin bias, so if he's not from Dublin I apologise.

Anyways, I stand by the point that the cycle has been broken in GAA.

Resources have never mattered more in the sport. Its comparable to a small F1 team trying to compete with a big one. There's only going to be one winner in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It's basically the whole country in support of Mayo v Dublin.

Heart says Mayo but head says Dublin, I think Dublin are the greatest team of our generation - the only hope Mayo have is the doddle the Dubs have had to the final.

I have never been so insulted in all my life to be honest :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I have never been so insulted in all my life to be honest :mad:

Ah, you make up for it with your disparaging view of our hurlers... :)

My granddad was from Tipp, lived in Dublin from age 17, played hurling for Dublin in 1920s, and would have supported anyone playing Dublin. Ungrateful shower ...

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ah, you make up for it with your disparaging view of our hurlers... :)

My granddad was from Tipp, lived in Dublin from age 17, played hurling for Dublin in 1920s, and would have supported anyone playing Dublin. Ungrateful shower ...

wow seems harsh, what did he do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

wow seems harsh, what did he do??

To deserve to be exiled? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Well there was certainly a pro Dublin bias, so if he's not from Dublin I apologise.

Anyways, I stand by the point that the cycle has been broken in GAA.

Resources have never mattered more in the sport. Its comparable to a small F1 team trying to compete with a big one. There's only going to be one winner in that scenario.

Pole position ?
    708a379ac6ef835466f0ab50ce461262.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Do mayo not have a nutritionist.
    I can email them a picture of the food pyramid.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Pole position ?

Hard to know how reliable those charts are.

Like I said, spending is one factor. Population pick, ability to do regular collective training in the same county (players not away in college, work, etc), number of senior teams, and so on. Population pick would be the biggest factor for me. If you have ten times the population, you are going to have far more to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Pole position ?

Where are the figures to back up this image?

I'd like to know that too. And does the Galway and Tipperary figures include football and hurling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Hard to know how reliable those charts are.
    Where are the figures to back up this image?

Ah they're reliable, just mightn't be palatable for some .. here ya go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

No Im wasn't. I was having a go at the guy himself, and pointing out that the level of thought he was putting into the topic would indicate that he was part of a section of fans who demonstrated all on their own that they haven't a clue. It isn't really anything to do with the team or the county in general.

Advertisement