Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on Flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Nothing a good pair of earbuds can't solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Im generally pretty tolerant of screaming kids as long as the parents make some effort to calm/control them. Kids make noise. We all did it.

However, I'm quite a nervous flier, and id say after 90 minutes of sitting near a screaming child I'd probably give a dirty look as well. It wouldnt be a conscious thing even. It would be me being at the absolute end of my tether.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They are children, not animals ffs. This isn't the Victorian times where children should be 'seen and not heard'. They are part of society and have a right to participate in it. Get over yourself. What I find is that the anti kid brigade tend to embellish these incidents of rowdy screaming children in every place they go. It's rare I notice any tbh.

I'm convinced some of the stories of kids screaming while their parents play candy crush that you sometimes read here are made up, and the majority of the more believable ones are exaggerated. I wouldn't even describe myself as particularly tolerant but it's not something I've encountered much.

I've never had kids ruin my lunch in a cafe, or seen them destroy anything in a museum, or had a flight made unbearable from start to finish, or been deafened by them in a store or on any transport. I must be incredibly lucky or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Candie wrote: »
    I've never had kids ruin my lunch in a cafe, or seen them destroy anything in a museum, or had a flight made unbearable from start to finish, or been deafened by them in a store or on any transport. I must be incredibly lucky or something.

Because you don't go looking to be disturbed. The simple fact is that there's people out there who go looking to be annoyed at such things, almost making it an aim for their day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

While I agree that parents need to deal with kids the best they can while traveling taking 3 young children on a flight one of whom is autistic is just asking for trouble and is very inconsiderate of other passengers.

Your taking an autistic child who by the very nature of their condition dont like change (generally this is true), its just asking for trouble.

In her message she said that people were ignorant for complaining, moaning and moving seats. People have every right to be annoyed at her for making an hour of their flight hell.

I wouldnt say they are bad parents, but she is certainly an inconsiderate one who wants to put herself above the comfort of her autistic child and other passengers.

Yes, I'm sure it would be annoying, but "hell" is a bit of an exaggeration no? I mean, I'm sure those people will get over it, it's an hour or two out of their holiday. Hardly the end of the world. If they are so delicate then maybe they shouldn't be going out in public at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

eviltwin wrote:
    I'd rather put myself through a three hours flight with the child than an overnight ferry.

osarusan wrote:
    Letting people act the maggot, child (running round the place) or adult (drunk and rowdy) because they just don't give a f**k, annoys me much more.

Was on a bus recently and a young child was messing around the aisle talking to tourists who tolerated her a lot I thought. She was well away from her mother all the while. About seven seats away I would say. She was very active and talkative. I would say the mother wanted a break from her and wasn't bothered if she was annoying others. I gave her the cold shoulder when she started looking towards me. I wondered why the driver didn't say something about the child and safety. The mother wasn't too interested in her safety anyway. I was going to tell the child to sit in her seat but felt it was the mother's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bobbyss wrote: »
    Was on a bus recently and a young child was messing around the aisle talking to tourists who tolerated her a lot I thought. She was well away from her mother all the while. About seven seats away I would say. She was very active and talkative. I would say the mother wanted a break from her and wasn't bothered if she was annoying others. I gave her the cold shoulder when she started looking towards me. I wondered why the driver didn't say something about the child and safety. The mother wasn't too interested in her safety anyway. I was going to tell the child to sit in her seat but felt it was the mother's job.

If there's a problem here I'm not seeing it, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

jimgoose wrote: »

There's a young child unrestrained in the aisle of a bus. Thats dangerous, whatever about annoying passengers.

There's a young child unrestrained in the aisle of a bus. Thats dangerous, whatever about annoying passengers.

Oh, I see. Right, taser ever-loving Hell outta that shiz-nit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

While I agree that parents need to deal with kids the best they can while traveling taking 3 young children on a flight one of whom is autistic is just asking for trouble and is very inconsiderate of other passengers.

Your taking an autistic child who by the very nature of their condition dont like change (generally this is true), its just asking for trouble.

In her message she said that people were ignorant for complaining, moaning and moving seats. People have every right to be annoyed at her for making an hour of their flight hell.

I wouldnt say they are bad parents, but she is certainly an inconsiderate one who wants to put herself above the comfort of her autistic child and other passengers.

:confused:

Again, are people with kids, especially those with special needs, not allowed to travel because it can be a bit annoying for passengers?
    She mentioned people began swearing too but for some reason you aren't quoting that part - passengers of course can be annoyed and before I became a parent it also annoyed me but I'd hardly start swearing because of it.
    There was obviously space within the plane for them to move around so instead of making a fuss and acting stupid about it they could simply move and get on with their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Don't blame people for giving out, it's only natural.

The parents made a judgement call and they judged that their convenience and need for a holiday trumped the convenience and peace of the other passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Spider Web wrote: »
    Why do people sometimes refer to a child as "it"?
    Because "he", "she", "they", and "ze" are offensive to some people who have nothing better to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

jimgoose wrote:

Child playing along the aisle of a bus travelling at what, 120 kp? Bus driver makes no announcement re safety and seat belts. I think it's required by law. Mother allowing this child to continue for this three hour journey unbelted talking to other passengers.

Do you see the problem now?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Because you don't go looking to be disturbed. The simple fact is that there's people out there who go looking to be annoyed at such things, almost making it an aim for their day out.

I think you're spot on, it's a sort of sense of entitlement they have, that the world should just accommodate them and no one else matters. I'm just always amazed there are so many people who seem to hate not just kids, but their parents too, just for existing.

Hopefully it's confined to online spaces like this and isn't a thing in the real world, but you'd wonder about people who talk about kids like they're animals, as illustrated earlier in the thread.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Child playing along the aisle of a bus travelling at what, 120 kp? Bus driver makes no announcement re safety and seat belts. I think it's required by law. Mother allowing this child to continue for this three hour journey unbelted talking to other passengers.

Do you see the problem now?

Oh, you mean what us oul' fellas would call a coach, more of an inter-city bus sort of thing. Yeah, I have you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Kids who cause trouble should have one parent executed for each transgression. Starting with Ned.

274?cb=20150124113339&path-prefix=de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Why can't they have a section on a plane for parents and kids only?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The wings of the plane are restricted for health and safety reasons.

Except in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

bear1 wrote: »

Again, are people with kids, especially those with special needs, not allowed to travel because it can be a bit annoying for passengers?
    Well nobody said anyone isn't allowed - of course they're allowed.
    It's dishonest to say "a bit" annoying too.

Personally I think the public have to get over it when children are noisy in public. Children can be noisy, that's part of being a child, which we all were. However, I don't get why the parents in this case chose a holiday requiring plane travel (it isn't the only type of holiday/travel) when they risked such distress for their child with autism.

I don't understand parents choosing to go on plane journeys with very small children full stop (unless necessary of course) given the distress it causes the children and the parents themselves.

I don't think this view is the same as being intolerant otherwise of children being noisy in public in general - I'm not. It's the distress for the child I'm referring to anyway, not the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Was sitting behind a crying baby on the way back from Italy this year. Instead of bitching and moaning I played peek-a-boo with here. Calmed her right down. Life's too short to worry about that type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Having had the stress of travelling on flights with special needs kids, as their carer, i understand that woman's plight and am so unconcerned for the inconvenience caused to those who get upset/pi$$ed off at a child crying.

Your attitude is horrible and completely discourages sympathy from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Spider Web wrote: »
    Well nobody said anyone isn't allowed - of course they're allowed.
    It's dishonest to say "a bit" annoying too.

Personally I think the public have to get over it when children are noisy in public. Children can be noisy, that's part of being a child, which we all were. However, I don't get why the parents in this case chose a holiday requiring plane travel (it isn't the only type of holiday/travel) when they risked such distress for their child with autism.

I don't understand parents choosing to go on plane journeys with very small children full stop (unless necessary of course) given the distress it causes the children and the parents themselves.

I don't think this view is the same as being intolerant otherwise of children being noisy in public in general - I'm not. It's the distress for the child I'm referring to anyway, not the passengers.

If Ireland enjoyed the same summer's as most of Europe does then you'd probably find that parents wouldn't bother for the first few years.
    But we don't have these summer's and catering for 3 kids 24/7 including one with autism is no mean feat and they all deserve a holiday.
    The passengers endure what 2/3 hours of annoyance? The parents have it for the rest of their lives.
    We went to Italy when our first born was 2 months old because most of my family is from there and we wanted to show our baby to them and also have a break from reality. The baby wasn't happy only for the return leg but everyone survived and no one huffed and puffed or swore cause we ruined a small part of their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

bear1 wrote: »

Apparently not!

I am a parent with a special needs child. She is a beautiful little girl who sometimes starts shouting very loud if she is happy or excited. It sounds like we should never be allowed to travel by flight anywhere because of the possibility this beautiful little girl who didn't ask to be Autistic might make some peoples flight uncomfortable.
    It sounds like they are going to have to start segregating us for flights so NORMAL people won't have to put up with innocent little kids with a disability and their selfish parents who don't deserve a holiday which requires a flight to get to.

Maybe Ryanair will start selling separate flights for kids with disabilities and their carers so we won't have to bother people anymore :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was once on a plane where a kid who is likely special needs was assaulting her moyher very badly. So much so that if the air crew had seen it i reckon they would have been put off the plane in case it got worse in the air.

Luckily it didnt but it could easily have gone the other way.

I know it ain't popular, but some kids really should be sedated for certain journeys.

I was once on a plane where a kid who is likely special needs was assaulting her moyher very badly. So much so that if the air crew had seen it i reckon they would have been put off the plane in case it got worse in the air.

I know it ain't popular, but some kids really should be sedated for certain journeys.

Or, alternatively, instead of sedating kids who have needs through no fault of their own, you sedate yourself so you're not bothered by them.

You're right, it's not going to be a popular opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sedate the easily offended or those who look for something to nag about instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I've never seen anyone complain because of an autistic child/person's behaviour on public transport before. People generally understand some things cant be helped.
    Are there any retorts from other passengers on that flight on Facebook page anyone know?

...I know it ain't popular, but some kids really should be sedated for certain journeys.

I've read some statements on here over the years, but Jaysis... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Sedate the easily offended or those who look for something to nag about instead.

In fairness, are you supposed to look around smiling while some kid is battering their mother? Tad awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Why not have a few rows that are adult only/quiet zone and charge a higher fee? I think I would pay a bit more if I was going on a flight for a few hours and guaranteed peace and quiet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement