Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jarring The Bastards

Options
  • 29-08-2017 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Do you jar them?

I always do. In a place that's 5.20 a pint, I only give them a fiver for it. Haggle the fcuk out of them.Most don't jar me for the twenty cents, but I tip them it anyway.

Do you let people away with it or do you jar them?

Before anyone starts saying company policy yadayadayada I know that, but you can still jar someone nicely

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jarring?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wtf is jarring?

is it a euphemism for being a cheapskate **** and causing hassle by not paying the asking price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Do you jar them?

I always do. In a place that's 5.20 a pint, I only give them a fiver for it. Haggle the fcuk out of them.Most don't jar me for the twenty cents, but I tip them it anyway.

Before anyone starts saying company policy yadayadayada I know that, but you can still jar someone nicely

What are you on about?

Maybe time to call last orders on yourself for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

wtf is jarring?

Have you never been jarred?
    Given out to?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You sound like an argumentative fool

I'd bar you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

So you give out to bar staff because you're too tight to pay full price for drinks?

That's the most Nordie thing I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Have you never been jarred?
    in the sense of shaken by some unpleasant news or mistakenly bumped into or being drunk, yes. In your context, I have no idea.
    Given out to?
    sure, you attempting to relate the two?

What are you on about?

Maybe time to call last orders on yourself for tonight.

Jarred = the act of ateing the head of somebody.

It's in the bucking dictionary.

Probably

listermint wrote: »
    You sound like an argumentative fool

I'd bar you.

That's not the way you do it.

You say, I suppose you need two fivers down this way or some such. They are put on the spot and say no a fiver is grand, you give them six Euro, everybody is happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I used to work in a bar during college.

The type of person you're describing is known in the business as a 'ballbag'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If the pint costs more than 6 euros you've paid for the glass as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

That's not the way you do it.

You say, I suppose you need two fivers down this way or some such. They are put on the spot and say no a fiver is grand, you give them six Euro, everybody is happy

That's not haggling that's just being a pest. Just pay the 5.20 and shut the fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Do you jar them?

Two euros out in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    If the pint costs more than 6 euros you've paid for the glass as well.

And allowed to return kindly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So from asking where you can hide out to handing 20c less per pint... you're doing fierce well this year.

:)

Your Face wrote: »
    I used to work in a bar during college.

The type of person you're describing is known in the business as a 'ballbag'.

I worked in the bar business a lot younger than you. Jarring is part and parcel of any customer service job. The ballbags are the ones that can't figure that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Has someone dared you to use a made up word and try and start a thread on boards.ie with it?

How's it going for you? Is it living up to your confrabulations?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    That's not haggling that's just being a pest. Just pay the 5.20 and shut the fcuk up.

A pest is a fcuker that won't pay the 5.20.

I'm asking, would you just hand it over or would you try for the fiver first?

Has someone dared you to use a made up word and try and start a thread on boards.ie with it?

How's it going for you? Is it living up to your confrabulations?

Jarred is a perfectly cromulent word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

5.20 for a pint!?

La-de-fvckin-da

Real men drink flagons down by the canal and give the swans a good jarring when the mood takes them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Do you jar them?

sprechen Sie deutsch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'm asking, would you just hand it over or would you try for the fiver first?

You can only haggle with someone that has the authority to negotiate price. Your average barman will not have this ability, therefore trying to negotiate with them is an arsealogical act.

mezzz wrote: »
    sprechen Sie deutsch?

Bid balden. Ich heißt eis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Bid balden. Ich hei eis

ah ok, neun und neunzig rot baloons

I worked in the bar business a lot younger than you. Jarring is part and parcel of any customer service job. The ballbags are the ones that can't figure that out.

My dear poor backwards man, if you were younger than me working in a bar you were illegally working.

The ballbags are the ones that don't have the basic intelligence to figure out that their brand of complaining is impotent at best.

Negotiations as to the price of drink doesn't achieve anything where the pricelist is fixed and the takings are checked.

It was handy that I also worked the doors.

You can only haggle with someone that has the authority to negotiate price. Your average barman will not have this ability, therefore trying to negotiate with them is an arsealogical act.

Sorry, I meant with the owner or manager. Tuesday nights in the Riviera are full of them.

Why wouldn't you haggle though? You don't have to be hateful, and if the say no you give them the full price, No harm done.

I know I call them bastards, but it's tongue on cheek. Why would you not question the price of anything you buy? It's your money like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Jarring is hitting someone in the back of the head with a glass I always thought.

Your Face wrote: »
    My dear poor backwards man, if you were younger than me working in a bar you were illegally working.

The ballbags are the ones that don't have the basic intelligence to figure out that their brand of complaining is impotent at best.

Negotiations as to the price of drink doesn't achieve anything where the pricelist is fixed and the takings are checked.

It was handy that I also worked the doors.

Ha!
    Who sold the ten litres of vodka for a price after the doorman said they won't ducking getting it?

The Backwards Man!

Like Shaft, only cooler

Ha!
    Who sold the ten litres of vodka for a price after the doorman said they won't ducking getting it?

The Backwards Man.

The criminal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Tip of the mickey ran around the head of a warm pint glass before pouring the pint might be an effective revenge act for a vindictive barman dealing with 'jarring'. Or acting the bollix as it's more commonly known.

Advertisement