Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish accents and names you like.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mariaalice wrote: »
    I got the notion that bh had the v sound in Irish from the Irish name Ailbhe which is pronounced Alva.
    Yes, but that's because the -bh- is bracketed on each side by 'i' and 'e'.

It has a different sound in, for example, abhaile, where it is bracketed on each side by 'a'. That gives it a sound closer to "w" than to "v".

(That, incidentally, is why the 'i' is there in "Ailbhe"; it's needed so that you'll know how the word is pronounced. If the name were spelt "Albhe" it would be unpronounceable, because the 'a' would signal one value for -bh- and the 'e' would signal a different value.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

bh would take more a m sound in connacht irish and w sound in ulster irish.

have a look at No. 6 here for sa bhaile click on the C M U and it will pronounce them for you.

http://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/aboard#aboard__7

That's not actually the case, bh is pronounced as v, and w sometimes and sometimes not at all (dubh)

http://www.teanglann.ie/ga/fuaim/t%c3%a1bhachtach

http://www.teanglann.ie/ga/fuaim/dubh

The reason there is an m sound in sa bhaile is because in Connacht Irish an urú after 'sa' rather than a séimhiú, so it would be written 'sa mbaile' rather than 'sa bhaile'. The way they have it on focloir.ie is a bit confusing.

Seoige is Irish for Joyce.

Seoige is Irish for the surname Joyce, I think it is the personal name being mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I like traditional Irish names like Dónal, Micheál, Eoghan, Clodagh, Áine etc.
    I don't like these new names like Siadhbh, Caoimhan, Faolán, Caoilainn etc. They must be a nightmare to spell and pronounce when you're older.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes, but that's because the -bh- is bracketed on each side by 'i' and 'e'.

It has a different sound in, for example, abhaile, where it is bracketed on each side by 'a'. That gives it a sound closer to "w" than to "v".

(That, incidentally, is why the 'i' is there in "Ailbhe"; it's needed so that you'll know how the word is pronounced. If the name were spelt "Albhe" it would be unpronounceable, because the 'a' would signal one value for -bh- and the 'e' would signal a different value.)

It depends on the dialect as well though. Abhaile is pronounced with a v sound in Munster.

http://www.teanglann.ie/ga/fuaim/dubh

Siobhán is a common name and generally assumed to be pronounce with a 'v' sound, but in Donegal Irish it is pronounce as if saying 'shoe on' in English.

A generall but not universal rule for the pronunciation of bh in Irish is: Munster: mostly v; Connacht: a mixture of the two, and sometimes not pronounced at all; Ulster: mostly w.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't like these new names like Siadhbh, Caoimhan, Faolán, Caoilainn etc. They must be a nightmare to spell and pronounce when you're older.
    Micheál is from the Hebrew. Eoghan is from Latin. Áine is from Hebrew via Latin. They're imports, although they were imported quite a while ago. Whereas a lot of what you think of as "new" names are in fact authentic, native, Gaelic-origin names.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I love the Órfhlaith [old spelling,(Órla,Órlaith,Órlagh in modern Gaeilge)],such pretty name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Micheál is from the Hebrew. Eoghan is from Latin. Áine is from Hebrew via Latin. They're imports, although they were imported quite a while ago. Whereas a lot of what you think of as "new" names are in fact authentic, native, Gaelic-origin names.

There is confusion on what people think is an Irish name and not. Sean, is the Irish version of John a Hebrew name, It's origins are Hebrew but Sean is the Irish version of it. Would you say it is an Irish name or Hebrew name? Then there is names like Rory which originates from Ireland but has been anglicised in its spelling hence the y so does not sound so Irish.

Below are some names that originate from Ireland but you might not think as they are too easy to pronounce and are popular outside of Ireland.

Aidan ,Brian, Conor, Barry, Kevin, Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Jacob ,Jakub, James, Seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

As mentioned some of the traditional names are unusual; Sreng from the Fir Bolg, some of the Tuatha de Dannan, Maeve's husband Aillil etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I love the name Oisín. There are others I like, but I love that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LordSutch wrote: »
    Irish names I like include Siobhan, Tara, Patrick, Mylo, Cillian, Dermot, Enda, Maeve, Aidan, Darragh & Liam, and my favourite Irish accent would have to be from Carlow.
    Mylo isn't Irish...
    tupenny wrote: »
    Y doesn't even exist as gaeilge

LordSutch must have a former lover with that name or something. Was going on about its greatness before in another thread. Hang on and I'll find it.
    LordSutch wrote: »

So if you actually analyse & reduce the Irish names (I don't like) it boils down to; Fachtna, Con, Gobnait, Aoadbha, Concobharagh, Moncon, & Caoimhseach, Bosco, Asumpta & Cocsepta.

.....but then again you might list Irish names which I personally do like, which would include Siobhan, Tara, Patrick, Mylo, Cillian, Dermot, Enda, Maeve, Aidan, Darragh & Liam.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You keep touting Mylo as a good name Lord Sutch. It's absolutely sh*t.

Advertisement