Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish accents and names you like.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Aoife ni hoolahoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mylo isn't Irish...

Mylo O'Sea.

Certainly sounds Irish.

Presumably it is Irish with an I instead of the y.

Milo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

LordSutch wrote: »
    Mylo O'Sea.

Certainly sounds Irish.

Presumably it is Irish with an I instead of the y.

Milo.

No. Mylo and Milo are the same.

Thought it was Latin or Greek, turns out it's German.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Aisling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Dundalk accent for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

tupenny wrote: »
    Y doesn't even exist as gaeilge
    Although its creeping in to Irish.
    Ipso wrote: »
    Wasn't p not used at one point?

Lads no letters are creeping anywhere.

Here is the alphabet:

abcdefghilmnoprstu

Granted, the h is relatively new as it replaced the dots over consonants in the old script that indicated lenition.

You will see other letters in Irish language texts that used foreign words but they are not Irish letters, much like you would see Ü, Þ, or Æ in an English text despite not being actual letters in the English alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Shiv-ALE.

I always though the name Siobheal was the Irish for Joyce and that it was pronounced Shiv bale as bh takes the v sound in Irish?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Girls names
    Siobhan
    Aoife
    Neasa
    Tara

Boys names

Fionn
    Liam
    Ciaran, natch

Best accents are a nice Tipperary accent, I find it very soothing, a Wexford accent or a Donegal accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

tupenny wrote: »
    Y doesn't even exist as gaeilge

Names like Rory and Barry are Irish even tho they have a Y. They are anglicised versions of Irish names.

Prefer the Irish names that people can pronounce outside of Ireland like Brian, Tara, Kevin etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

the Irish version of my first name is conchubhair-which is pronounced like cru hure,very confusing.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Girls names
    Tara

Not necessarily Irish, also a Hindu Goddess.
    kingchess wrote: »
    the Irish version of my first name is conchubhair-which is pronounced like cru hore,very confusing.

Is it not the other way around...cro hure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Love the Irish accents that are flat as foook, usually midlands or Galway - love the Galway accent though I would be biased. Don't have a strong one myself from years of living abroad but anyone that sounds like my Dad is music to my ears.

Also love those old-school relatively neutral but distinct Dublin accents that you'll see on older folks from south parts of the city, usually heard on college professors and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I like the northy accent, I think it's hot! simmer dow-win dere nigh dramatik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I love all traditional Irish names, Muireann, Iarlaith, Tadhg, Éabha, Doireann, Sadhbh, Ruaidhrí.
    I love the Cork accent, I love the Wexford accent, love all the Northern Irish accents - I love the colloquialisms mixed in with the different accents all over Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Ipso wrote: »
    Wasn't p not used at one point?

P wasn't originally in old Irish. Patricius was written as Cothrige (or something like that) at first, bevause 'c' was seen as being the closest approximation to 'p'. The p came in later in the old Irish period and it became Pátraic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Patrick is not an Irish name despite most thinking it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Any time someone gives a child one of those names that means it's followed by a "it was an old Irish word for strength" or something, I'm rolling my eyes.

Who would name their child Neart??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Names like Rory and Barry are Irish even tho they have a Y. They are anglicised versions of Irish names.

Prefer the Irish names that people can pronounce outside of Ireland like Brian, Tara, Kevin etc

Ruairí agus Barra though. Not sure what the Irish of Mylo would be.

Like the name Tara myself. Although with two exes being called Tara it can go f*ck itself as a name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Patrick is not an Irish name despite most thinking it is.

Patrick, the original West Brit.

• Advertisement

Not necessarily Irish, also a Hindu Goddess.

Is it not the other way around...cro hure?

I wonder if the use of it as a name originated in the US as a way to keep in touch with the "old country".
    I think the meaning of the place name has to do with high ground, probably the root of the word ties to other words like territory, terra firma, terrestial etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

mariaalice wrote: »
    I always though the name Siobheal was the Irish for Joyce and that it was pronounced Shiv bale as bh takes the b sound in Irish?

Seoige is Irish for Joyce.

P wasn't originally in old Irish. Patricius was written as Cothrige (or something like that) at first, bevause 'c' was seen as being the closest approximation to 'p'. The p came in later in the old Irish period and it became Pátraic.

I think it was more of a case that the languages in Britain diverged around 2,500 years ago, possibly influenced by Gaulish, and started using p instead of a hard k sound (the Welsh equivalent of Mac is Map).
    Interestingly there were a couple tribe names that used p in their name. The Menapi of Leinster (a Belgic group went by the same name) and the Partaige in Mayo, that name comes from a word for crab which is possible pre Indo-European.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

mariaalice wrote: »
    I always though the name Siobheal was the Irish for Joyce and that it was pronounced Shiv bale as bh takes the b sound in Irish?

bh would take more a m sound in connacht irish and w sound in ulster irish.

have a look at No. 6 here for sa bhaile click on the C M U and it will pronounce them for you.

http://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/aboard#aboard__7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dundalk accent for me!

That's probably more a compulsive fetish than a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ImBehindYou

Louth/Meath accents are absolutely disgusting. Monaghan not far off either. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

bh would take more a m sound in connacht irish and w sound in ulster irish.
    It's going to depend on the letters on either side.

In every dialect of Irish, for example, -bh- will have a different value in abhaile than it will have in, say, a Bhreandan.

As already noted, loan words aside, Irish make use of only 18 letters. Ther are far more sounds than that, so sounds are mostly represented not by indivual letters but by combinations of letters. Which is why you can't say in the abstract how -bh- is pronounced; its pronunciation will always be affected by the surrounding letters.

(This is also true for English; in a word like "gauge" the first -g- is hard because it is followed by -a-, but the second -g- is soft because it is followed by -e-. But it's much more true of Irish, which has many fewer letters to play with, and a wider range of sounds to represent.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Peregrinus wrote: »

In every dialect of Irish, for example, -bh- will have a different value in abhaile than it will have in, say, a Bhreandan.

As already noted, loan words aside, Irish make use of only 18 letters. Ther are far more sounds than that, so sounds are mostly represented not by indivual letters but by combinations of letters. Which is why you can't say in the abstract how -bh- is pronounced; its pronunciation will always be affected by the surrounding letters.

(This is also true for English; in a word like "gauge" the first -g- is hard because it is followed by -a-, but the second -g- is soft because it is followed by -e-. But it's much more true of Irish, which has many fewer letters to play with, and a wider range of sounds to represent.)

Imagine through what 12 years of learning Irish I never knew about the 18...which letters are left out? Am guessing z, q,x,j...suppose Irish Scrabble is pretty crap then with the high scoring tiles left out

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The letters of the Irish alphabet are a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, l, m, n, o, p, r, s, t, u. The remaining letters - j, k, q, v, w, x, y, z - are only used in loan-words from other languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Peregrinus wrote: »

I got the notion that bh had the v sound in Irish from the Irish name Ailbhe which is pronounced Alva.

We are a very erudite lot here at times and does demonstrate that in general we are very well served by our education system.

During the 1916 celebrations its did occurred to me that even those with very little education in the modern sense knew a huge amount about our history and culture.

Advertisement