Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish accents and names you like.

Options
  • 29-08-2017 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of thread about Irish names people dislike or Irish accents people cant stand, so for a bit of something positive.. Irish name and accents you like.

Names Dualta and Faolan.

Accents Belfast and some Dublin accents.This is good example he is hamming it up a bit in this but in real life Stanley Townsend does have a very pleasant Dublin accent. Sounds a bit like my current boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQobhG6PORA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

No better accent that that of Derry people. Could listen to them all day!

I like the more traditional Irish names like Mícheál, Tomás, Áine or Máire. I find the more modern, abstract ones to be a bit meh. Each to their own.

Any time someone gives a child one of those names that means it's followed by a "it was an old Irish word for strength" or something, I'm rolling my eyes.

I like the simple ones, Brian, Niall, Ronan, Brendan, Kevin etc. And the Kerry accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I love the name Siobheal (Irish for Isabel) and the Kerry accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

OP had to be trollin....
    Those names...Worst Kids' names thread>>

Anything North of the N7 and East of the M50 is aural assault.

Most pleasant accent in the country is the one South of Lavits Quay, East of Ballyvourney

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any time someone gives a child one of those names that means it's followed by a "it was an old Irish word for strength" or something, I'm rolling my eyes.

I like the simple ones, Brian, Niall, Ronan, Brendan, Kevin etc. And the Kerry accent.

It's like rayyyyyyyyyyyyyyaayyaaaaaiiiiiin on your wedding day
    Origin of the name Conor:

Anglicized form of the Irish Gaelic Conchobhar, a compound name composed of the elements conn (wisdom, counsel, strength) or con (hound, dog) and cobhair (aid). “High, will, desire” and “hound lover” are other definitions attributed to the name. Var: Conner.

Will say nothing about the "hound lover" bit.......
    http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/boy/conor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Recently came across a young fella called Fuinn, short for fuinneamh the Irish for energy. As expected mother appeared to be an absolute thunderous c*nt.

Burial. wrote: »
    Recently came across a young fella called Fuinn, short for fuinneamh the Irish for energy. As expected mother appeared to be an absolute thunderous c*nt.

Like, that poor kid will have to spend the rest of his life answering the raised eyebrow "huh, wtf" look with a "it's short for fuinneamh etc. etc.".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Some nice Irish names imo are the more old school ones ; Sean, colm, orlaith, Aoife, Daire etc
    Wouldn't be a fan of the new makey-uppy types

Also not a fan of the Midlands accent, like what was in that "Pure Mule" show.. horrible stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Fuinneog's from Foxrock but goes to the Gaelscoil.

Awesome accent / ainm combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Fuinneog's from Foxrock but goes to the Gaelscoil.

I knew a Fuinneog once. You could see straight through him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Shovel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Miss the towny accent of wexford ;) think that's a homesick thing and now love thing though
    Iarla is a name I've always liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My favourite name ever is Eve, not Irish however. I like the Galway accent too, very neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

RayM wrote: »
    I knew a Fuinneog once. You could see straight through him.

A bit of a pane aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

My own name, 'Taidgh' is great. Wasn't so much when I first started going out with my o/h from Belfast and I was intorducing myself to her mates :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Irish names I like include Siobhan, Tara, Patrick, Mylo, Cillian, Dermot, Enda, Maeve, Aidan, Darragh & Liam, and my favourite Irish accent would have to be from Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also like Cillian Daire and Ronan

Sounds like three brothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mariaalice wrote: »
    Also like Cillian Daire and Ronan

Sounds like three brothers!

Well, they are 3 male names

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is that pronounced 'shovel' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Is that pronounced 'shovel' ?

Shiv-ALE.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Irish names I like include Siobhan, Tara, Patrick, Mylo, Cillian, Dermot, Enda, Maeve, Aidan, Darragh & Liam, and my favourite Irish accent would have to be from Carlow.

Mylo isn't Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Britney

Miss the towny accent of wexford ;) think that's a homesick thing and now love thing though
    Iarla is a name I've always liked.

You haven't heard a mother shrieking "c'mere eeeeeerla" in a playground. It'd put you right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

LordSutch wrote: »

Mylo isn't Irish...
    It's Myl'O

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Fuinneog's from Foxrock
    Fuinneog XP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Donegal, Derry accents for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Mylo isn't Irish...

Y doesn't even exist as gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

tupenny wrote: »
    Y doesn't even exist as gaeilge

Although its creeping in to Irish.