Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saorview query - rental house

Options
  • 29-08-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

HI I know this has been asked a 1000 times - but I am very confused and (fingers crossed) hoping for an easy cheapish fix :)

There is an aerial on the roof of my new rental house I've recently moved into - I have attached a photo. My first query is will this even work to get saorview

secondly - I have a samsung smart tv that is meant to be capable of getting saorview directly without a set top box.
    I have attached a pic of the Coaxial cable that is running into the sitting room and the state that it is in.

Can i go to woodies and buy this attachment for the cable on the right and plug straight into tv?

FINGERSSSSSS CROSSED??!!

Thank you kindly for reading and responding. :)

Comments

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

In Greystones Co Wicklow...

julie2tubz wrote: »
    In Greystones Co Wicklow...
    I'd suspect that the aerial at the top of the mast is probably pointing towards Wales (because it's vertically polarised and quite large). The one lower down is an old MMDS aerial and is now useless.

Doesn't look like anything suited for Saorview there unfortunately.

Thanks a mill for your speedy response. Yes it is pointing towards wales.
    Damn that is a shameeeee. :(
    I was reeealllly hoping for a quick fix...

So ill need to get a saorview installer to put up another saorview aerial to add to the collection :D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If you're in Greystones, you'll probably get crystal clear Saorview without any roof-top aerial.

You could try one of these;
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1074815/Trail/searchtext%3EAERIAL.htm

There's a reasonable chance that those wires you've pictured were previously hooked up to a satellite dish.

• Advertisement

Ohhh do you think so? I used one of those things from argos before in the last place i lived in ballybrack area and it was not very good.

I do think the previous tenants said had Sky tv actually... but come to think of it i dont remember seeing a sky dish. Now I am even more confused. Could I fix these wires with the woodies pic i put up and put into tv to see if I get any signal.

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Ohhh do you think so? I used one of those things from argos before in the last place i lived in ballybrack area and it was not very good.

I do think the previous tenants said had Sky tv actually... but come to think of it i dont remember seeing a sky dish. Now I am even more confused. Could I fix these wires with the woodies pic i put up and put into tv to see if I get any signal.

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Yeah, that's possibly the easiest/cheapest/quickest solution. Even if you get no signal, all you've lost is a fiver.

Previous tenants could have taken down their dish (esp if their lease prohibited one and they wanted their deposit back).

Those small aerials are often perfect, but a thick wall could block the signal.

Great thanks for your help. I will give that a go first anyway :)

Judging by the photo of the cables, it's possible that the cable with the F connector is the feed from the MMDS aerial while the bare end is from the big UHF aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

That Argos aerial is very poor and sold on lies. There is no way it has a 20dB gain, zero is more likely.

A cheap aerial from a Euro/Pound shop is actually better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Coat hanger id try first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... Could I fix these wires with the woodies pic i put up and put into tv to see if I get any signal.

Probably not, unless just signal picked up on the cable, the aerial at the top I would think has an amplifier underneath, & that will need its power supply.

BTW, the middle bit seems to be the remains of this type of VHF band III aerial that would have been for RTE analogue.

thank for all the help!

It does look like I am going to need a Saorview Aerial anyway i think...

winston_1 wrote: »
    That Argos aerial is very poor and sold on lies. There is no way it has a 20dB gain, zero is more likely.

A cheap aerial from a Euro/Pound shop is actually better.

Would you have an example or place I could go and get one of these or even a picture of what type of one i would look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Would you have an example or place I could go and get one of these or even a picture of what type of one i would look for?

Something like this I guess he was referring to

42393538.jpg

http://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/audio-visual/aerials-satellite/aerials-antennas/indoor-tv-aerials/prl/results?st=aerial

The Cush wrote: »

I'm sorry now but the hack of it. Who on earth would want to be looking at that in their sitting room?

Julie - the one from Argos, be grand.

You don't look at that, you look at the TV.
    Julie - the one from Argos is carp and sold on lies. Why buy from a liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You don't look at that, you look at the TV.
    Julie - the one from Argos is carp and sold on lies. Why buy from a liar?

296754-Ariel-Actilift-65W-4_225kg.jpg

ANTM4.jpg

LongIsland-Carp.jpg

So what have those off topic pictures to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So what have those off topic pictures to do with it?

People have long memories. For an awful long time we had to put up with this carp crap from you....
    I assume you mean aerial. Ariel is washing powder. But your post is irrelevant for someone only 500 metres from a transmitter.
    It's aerial. Ariel is washing powder.
    No, an aerial. Ariel is washing powder. A clean roof is not necessary.
    You have an aerial, ariel is washing powder.
    You mean aerial as ariel is washing powder.
    He did not know what he was talking about. Ariel is washing powder and will never work to receive TV.

• Advertisement

Well the OP did not make that silly mistake so those pictures are completely off topic. But those comments were not crap but informative.

Advertisement