Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving digital tv through roof ariel

Options
  • 12-02-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I have an ariel on the roof of the house and can receive free digital tv through this, both uk and irish channels (the way I used to receive analogue tv). I want to buy a new tv and know that the tv needs to be receptive to both irish and uk channels from this source, there's a name for the type of receiver within the tv but I can't for the life of me remember, and I can't figure out what my current tv has. I can't get saorview or free to air tv as I'll get only irish or uk channels respectively, not both. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A TV with a DVB-T2 tuner will do the job for both the Saorview and Freeview HD channels. TVs from major manufacturers such as Sony, Samsung etc should have the required tuner and are Saorview approved also.

Post the make/model no. of your current TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Its a Sharp LC 22DV200E and also says dts digital. Thanks for the above information. So a DVB T2 tuner will allow me to tune all the channels with only the house ariel connection?

According to the specs for that TV it doesn't have a DVB-T2 tuner but can still receive both Saorview and Freeview SD channels, not sure why it doesn't store channels from both services at the same time, possibly something to do with the spec of that particular model.

The higher spec models from the likes of Sony should have no problem working with both Saorview and Freeview.

The Cush wrote: »
    According to the specs for that TV it doesn't have a DVB-T2 tuner but can still receive both Saorview and Freeview SD channels, not sure why it doesn't store channels from both services at the same time, possibly something to do with the spec of that particular model.

The higher spec models from the likes of Sony should have no problem working with both Saorview and Freeview.

The Sharp one I have, as above, does receive and store both the uk and irish channels, its that I want to make sure my new tv will too. So I'll make sure whatever I buy has the dvb t2 tuner! Many thanks.

maggiepip wrote: »
    The Sharp one I have, as above, does receive and store both the uk and irish channels, its that I want to make sure my new tv will too. So I'll make sure whatever I buy has the dvb t2 tuner!

OK, misunderstood what you were saying in the first post (I can't get saorview or free to air tv as I'll get only irish or uk channels respectively, not both.).

Yes, a TV with the DVB-T2 tuner will work with both services.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to terrestrial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

maggiepip wrote: »
    I have an ariel on the roof of the house and can receive free digital tv through this, both uk and irish channels (the way I used to receive analogue tv). I want to buy a new tv and know that the tv needs to be receptive to both irish and uk channels from this source, there's a name for the type of receiver within the tv but I can't for the life of me remember, and I can't figure out what my current tv has. I can't get saorview or free to air tv as I'll get only irish or uk channels respectively, not both. Can anyone help?

You have an aerial, ariel is washing powder.

Any Saorview compatible TV should receive Freeview as well (not Freeview HD). A UK Freeview HD TV should receive Saorview.

Avoid Panasonic as although they can work with Saorview or Freeview they often cannot get both like your Sharp.

winston_1 wrote: »
    You have an aerial, ariel is washing powder.

Any Saorview compatible TV should receive Freeview as well (not Freeview HD). A UK Freeview HD TV should receive Saorview.

Avoid Panasonic as although they can work with Saorview or Freeview they often cannot get both like your Sharp.

Lol, ahh I let myself down there! Thats very helpful thanks !

Advertisement