Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview aerial opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

The first one is described as high gain. They are lying as it is only 7.5dB gain. The second one is also described as high gain. It is at 16.5dB.
    However at only 500 metres from a transmitter you are unlikely to require a high gain aerial.

So go for the first one. Being smaller it will be easier to set up and unlikely to overload the tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You live within 500m of a television transmitter in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

winston_1 wrote: »
    The first one is described as high gain. They are lying as it is only 7.5dB gain. The second one is also described as high gain. It is at 16.5dB.
    However at only 500 metres from a transmitter you are unlikely to require a high gain aerial.

So go for the first one. Being smaller it will be easier to set up and unlikely to overload the tuner.
    Very sound advice. Log periodics are highly recommended for bringing in a good signal. It should easily pull in both Saorview multiplexes in your loft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Power city have a medium gain ariel available for only €14.99. I bought one a few weeks ago , stuck it in my attic , I'm picking up soarview and also uk free view , comes with bracket to attach in Attic , transmitter for soarview is about 30km away and I think the uk one is about 40km away in my case

castle2012 wrote: »
    Power city have a medium gain ariel available for only €14.99. I bought one a few weeks ago , stuck it in my attic , I'm picking up soarview and also uk free view , comes with bracket to attach in Attic , transmitter for soarview is about 30km away and I think the uk one is about 40km away in my case

I assume you mean aerial. Ariel is washing powder. But your post is irrelevant for someone only 500 metres from a transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you're 500 metres from a transmitter, just plug a foot long length of coax with the outer core stripped back for about half its length, into the back of the tv....that should be good enough to pick up signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I assume you mean aerial. Ariel is washing powder. But your post is irrelevant for someone only 500 metres from a transmitter.

Yea well I'm saving that chap a bit of money , the aerial he was looking at was more expensive, so my post is not irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If his location, Dublin, is correct then the only way he can really be 500m from a transmitter is if he's living in a tent on Kippure or Three Rock. Maybe he's mistaking a phone mast or similar for a transmitter mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is cheaper than the first two - €15.93 inc VAT. I have the older version of it (black - includes channels no longer used for TV) in my own attic. Edit: it's a Blakes and more than sturdy enough for an attic aerial. I'd go with something better if I needed an outdoor aerial, with the hassle of putting it up or paying someone to do it for you you want something that will withstand 20+ years of weather.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You can always find something cheaper or bodge it with a bit of stripped coax, but there is such a thing as quality and doing a good job that will last. The Antiference log satisfies those criteria and is not really expensive compared to the cost of a TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have had a log-periodic aerial for the last ten years - just as well, as I'm receiving from Three Rock which has changed from ch 54/58 to ch 30/33. If I had gone for a grouped aerial I would have had to change it. Log-periodic is a broad band by nature and is a very good choice in a high signal area.

As an aside, I have a bedroom TV that uses a piece of bent coat-hanger wire as an aerial that gets 100% signal and 100% quality. It sits beside the TV and is completely inconspicuous - like it is meant to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopefully not just jammed into the aerial socket though as that can damage it :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hopefully not just jammed into the aerial socket though as that can damage it :)

My aerial is well constructed using a cable and connector. I used to design aerials in a previous life.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

less pedantry please, winston_1 and Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You can always find something cheaper or bodge it with a bit of stripped coax, but there is such a thing as quality and doing a good job that will last. The Antiference log satisfies those criteria and is not really expensive compared to the cost of a TV.

There's nothing bodgy about a length of stripped coax that's about 15.5 inches long for channels 54/58....in fact, taping it horizonally to the back of the TV will most likely get even better reception rather than letting it hang...

Similarly, hanger wire can be cut to the same precise lengths....

We're talking highly technical stripped coax or hanger wire here..

:-)

Advertisement