Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Memorable or Controversial Soap Storylines

Options
  • 28-08-2017 5:07pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭


    Haven't watched any of the soaps for years but was thinking about some old soap storylines that I remember.

    I remember watching this from Eastenders when Grant discovers Phil and Sharons affair from a tape recording and then plays it in The Vic. It's so over the top, it's funny. Apparently the producers had planned the storyline as soon as Grant and Phil were introduced into the show.



    Also remember in Eastenders when Arthur's affair was discovered and Pauline hit him with the frying pan. I don't remember there being any mention of domestic violence at the time but I'd imagine that it would be seen differently now. It was some hit she gave him and quite violent really!

    In Brookside I remember there was a big deal had about the lesbian kiss between Beth and Margaret which is actually quite tame really when you look back.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7OUMxeqSI

    Other ones I recall are psycho Richard Hillmans storyline in Coronation Street and Emmerdales plane crash creeped me out. I'm trying to think of a more fun and happy memorable one but stuck on that atm because things usually end in tragedy in soapland :/:)

    What are your most memorable funny, sad or controversial soap stories?


«134

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN


    I'd say who shot Jayeen R was a good one!


  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18


    Lorelli! wrote: »
    Haven't watched any of the soaps for years but was thinking about some old soap storylines that I remember.

    I remember watching this from Eastenders when Grant discovers Phil and Sharons affair from a tape recording and then plays it in The Vic. It's so over the top, it's funny. Apparently the producers had planned the storyline as soon as Grant and Phil were introduced into the show.



    Also remember in Eastenders when Arthur's affair was discovered and Pauline hit him with the frying pan. I don't remember there being any mention of domestic violence at the time but I'd imagine that it would be seen differently now. It was some hit she gave him and quite violent really!

    In Brookside I remember there was a big deal had about the lesbian kiss between Beth and Margaret which is actually quite tame really when you look back.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7OUMxeqSI

    Other ones I recall are psycho Richard Hillmans storyline in Coronation Street and Emmerdales plane crash creeped me out. I'm trying to think of a more fun and happy memorable one but stuck on that atm because things usually end in tragedy in soapland :/:)

    What are your most memorable funny, sad or controversial soap stories?

    Yeah the plane crash in emmerdale was very creepy too much like what happened in lockerbie


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    BENDYBINN wrote: »
    I'd say who shot Jayeen R was a good one!

    They did that with Phil Mitchell too!

    I only saw episodes of it years after but I think they had a "whodunit" thing when Michelle Fowler got pregnant by her best friends dad, Dirty Den!

    I also vaguely remember Barry and Terry in Brookside. I think Barry killed Terrys wife. I believe they were the inspiration for Harry Enfield's Scousers! :D



  • Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn


    Richard Hillman for me mainly.
    Eastenders the return of Dirty Den and being murdered again by Chrissie Watts.
    Fair City: Billy Meehan.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV


    Bobby Ewing coming back from the dead in Dallas.
    Trevor Jordache buried under the patio in Brookside.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    Bobby Ewing coming back from the dead in Dallas.

    Didnt they just drop a load of ongoing storylines to make it all a dream! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420


    Biddy's affair in Glenroe...


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010


    The incest storyline in Brookside was one of the most fascinating and controversial storylines in soap but perhaps way ahead of its time and it really shook up the viewpoints of a nation of people who previously presumed incest only existed in poor socio-economic classes who were ignorant or backward-thinking.
    The sight of an attractive middle-class brother and sister engaging in incest was way too much for 1997...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2


    I mostly remember Brookside storylines. The lesbian kiss, Trevor being buried under the patio and when Mick smothered his mother in law


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    The incest storyline in Brookside was one of the most fascinating and controversial storylines in soap but perhaps way ahead of its time and it really shook up the viewpoints of a nation of people who previously presumed incest only existed in poor socio-economic classes who were ignorant or backward-thinking.
    The sight of an attractive middle-class brother and sister engaging in incest was way too much for 1997...

    Yea I remember that one! Brookside pushed the boundaries a bit more at the time, probably since it was with channel 4!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1


    Lorelli! wrote: »
    Yea I remember that one! Brookside pushed the boundaries a bit more at the time, probably since it was with channel 4!

    Yes Brookside had some quite controversial storylines, like also the boy who killed his bully, the actor was on X Factor then making final

    The first male rape in Hollyoaks also stands out for me, they could do more over their late night shows back then


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Brian Tilsley's murder in Coronation Street. This happened before the watershed!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    branie2 wrote: »
    Brian Tilsley's murder in Coronation Street. This happened before the watershed!

    I can't remember that. I kind of remember him. He was one of Gail's Husbands and the son of Ivy? Probably better off :pac: only messing :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    He was Gail's first husband


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    Len Fairclough from Coronation Street died off screen in a motorcycle accident.

    They killed him off abruptly because Peter Adamson, the man who played him was arrested for indecent assault and had sold stories about other cast members. They demonized his character in the show. After he was killed, it was revealed that he had been cheating on Rita.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Suzanne beating up Damian in Fair City


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    The love triangle between Helen, Paul and Nicola in fair city.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Sarah-Louise giving birth to Bethany in Coronation Street when she was 13


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Stephen McCoy in Fair City going to boarding school at the of 7, back in 1997. I'm surprised no outraged parents complained about that


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    Bobby dying in Home and Away.

    Frank Butcher and Pat having an affair when he was with Peggy in Eastenders. I remember there was a scene where he arrived at Pats house wearing only a dickie bow. Bleurgh! :/:)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    The fight between Kevin Webster and Eddie Ramsden in the Rovers Return.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28


    I'd probably pick any of the major Brookside storylines, as a soap it was really cutting edge back in the day.
    The lesbian kiss and Trevor Jordache under the patio would be the most memorable for me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    That whole Katy storyline in Fair City


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Alan Bradley when he harassed Rita Fairclough after coming out of jail.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn


    David Platt gets Barney the rabbit in Coronation Street!



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    Hayley arriving in Coronation Street. She was the first permanent transgender character in a series drama.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!


    Curly's unrequited love with Raquel and ONS with Maureen.

    Mike and Kens long standing fued. Also Deirdre Barlow's glasses especially in the early years :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Dick Moran's and Terry Kileen's affair in Glenroe


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    Deirdre Barlow's wrongful imprisonment for fraud


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2


    branie2 wrote: »
    Stephen McCoy in Fair City going to boarding school at the of 7, back in 1997. I'm surprised no outraged parents complained about that

    Sorry, that should be the age of 7


Advertisement