Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling/WWE - What's your opinion on it?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

From about 1989 to 2007 I used to watch WWE/ Wrestling on a weekly basis, back in the days when it was WWF & WCW I used to watch both, when WWE went all PG in 2007 I slowly lost interest over time and stopped watching it on a weekly basis, since 2007 I only look at WWE the very odd time on youtube, in the last 10 years I only watched 3 WWE ppv events ( Wrestlemania 31 ) ( Survivor Series 2016 ) + ( Wrestlemania 33 ) all PPV events that ex Wcw wrestlers made an in ring appearance, Sting at WM 31 + Goldberg at the other two Ppv events I referred to, when I looked at the crowd reaction to Roman Reigns raw after this years Wrestlemania at the abuse he got etc, I can,t understand why they book him as a babyface in the spot he,s in given the hostile reaction he gets, back in the early 1990s when Wwf tried to get Lex Luger over with the audience as the next big babyface when they saw it wasn,t working out they knew when it call it quits unlike today with Roman Reigns .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

entropi wrote: »
    The "scripting" that can happen in games and sports would be due to match fixing. A predetermined winner, who stands to gain fame and fortune, alongside the people who took an active part in it. Match fixing in snooker has been as recent as last year.

Yes, but it is against the laws if the game, not an inherent part of it

W
    wrestling also relies on a defined set of rules, depending on the promotion. The difference is that in wrestling, someone can be seriously inured, their career destroyed by giving or taking a bad move, or in the case of some very unfortunate people, they die. The sporting caliber of people in the ring can be at Olympic and World Champion level, so sporting, it is.

So kind of like professional dancers, or stuntmen. That doesnt mean Darcy Bussell should be entered for sports personality of the year though.
    Wrestling fans know its "fake", it is entertainment after all. The problem lies in whether non-fans can accept that we don't mind, and that it's basically an athletic, high risk at times, soap opera, just viewed through a different lens.

Exactly, it is entertainment, not sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

A couple of 'roided up blokes oiling themselves up, flexing for each other and then rolling around together.......fuck that.

I've already seen Brokeback Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A couple of 'roided up blokes oiling themselves up, flexing for each other and then rolling around together.......fuck that.

Another one. No speedos?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Another one. No speedos?

wtf has my jocks got to do with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

From about 1989 to 2007 I used to watch WWE/ Wrestling on a weekly basis, back in the days when it was WWF & WCW I used to watch both, when WWE went all PG in 2007 I slowly lost interest over time and stopped watching it on a weekly basis, since 2007 I only look at WWE the very odd time on youtube, in the last 10 years I only watched 3 WWE ppv events ( Wrestlemania 31 ) ( Survivor Series 2016 ) + ( Wrestlemania 33 ) all PPV events that ex Wcw wrestlers made an in ring appearance, Sting at WM 31 + Goldberg at the other two Ppv events I referred to, when I looked at the crowd reaction to Roman Reigns raw after this years Wrestlemania at the abuse he got etc, I can,t understand why they book him as a babyface in the spot he,s in given the hostile reaction he gets, back in the early 1990s when Wwf tried to get Lex Luger over with the audience as the next big babyface when they saw it wasn,t working out they knew when it call it quits unlike today with Roman Reigns .

+1 same for me. When WCW+ECW went the life was sucked out of it. God it was pure **** late OOs killed it for me and getting older.

I keep an eye the odd time on utube, nice to see the Irish gang there now it's utter **** tho.

I'll never forget the likes of Austin vs Bret at WM what a show!

The Montreal screw job. Hogans heel turn (nWo) and HBK starting DX with rude.

Wouldn't watch it now if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

used to watch it a bit, but it's just too stupid an OTT now-a-days IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

They don't do that in Brokeback Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Can't be bothered with it myself, but each to their own. I'm not particularly interested in watching staged brawling or live-action (dull) Tekkan maybe, given the scanty storylines that tend to go up around big matches. Also not mad on the culture of it - the culture within how the show is made that is, not the culture of those watching it. There seems to have been a few big "that was really not a good idea" moments in terms of "hey this would be a good idea, hold my beer...". It was WWE that did that eejit stunt of having all their fighters fight each other "for real" that ended up with four people having to retire due to injuries, wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

used to watch it a bit, but it's just too stupid an OTT now-a-days IMO

Pro Kabaddi is where its at now, far more entertaining.

And downright ****ing bonkers to boot:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Samaris wrote: »
    Can't be bothered with it myself, but each to their own. I'm not particularly interested in watching staged brawling or live-action (dull) Tekkan maybe, given the scanty storylines that tend to go up around big matches. Also not mad on the culture of it - the culture within how the show is made that is, not the culture of those watching it. There seems to have been a few big "that was really not a good idea" moments in terms of "hey this would be a good idea, hold my beer...". It was WWE that did that eejit stunt of having all their fighters fight each other "for real" that ended up with four people having to retire due to injuries, wasn't it?

I think that was a vince russo idea, an idiot who somehow got on wwf creative team and then went over to wcw and destroyed them.

You don't have real fighting on a pro wrestling show. You don't promote a shoot fight on a pro wrestling either. This is what that eejit did.

Wrestling ia fascinating to me because of the obscurity of it all. Back stage politics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Pro Kabaddi is where its at now, far more entertaining.

And downright ****ing bonkers to boot:D

It was great when Channel 4 used to show that late on Friday or Saturday nights (not sure which) in the late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think that was a vince russo idea, an idiot who somehow got on wwf creative team and then went over to wcw and destroyed them.

You don't have real fighting on a pro wrestling show. You don't promote a shoot fight on a pro wrestling either. This is what that eejit did.

Wrestling ia fascinating to me because of the obscurity of it all. Back stage politics etc.

This is the bit which is hard to explain to none fans.

"Smart mark" fans love to speculate on the real life backstage goings on, the politics, the infighting, the creative direction, booking decisions (who wins, who loses)

It's fascinating to study from a business perspective. It's all about putting asses in seats and generating as much revenue as possible. If you put your World Title on a guy who's not over with the audience then this can have an adverse impact on revenues across the board.

It's a cutthroat world. Talent have to connect with the people and draw money.

Advertisement