Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling/WWE - What's your opinion on it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Cans on a Pole Match :pac:

Ah the early days of OTT. That was the first indie show I went to with that match. €12 in and sit wherever I wanted, just a little but different to what OTT is now. Those early shows were gas craic. Tiny Iron and Oompa Loompa vs the gymnasties. Then in the main event one of the guys putiing a picture of Joe Dolan on the ring apron, lighting candles around it and saying a prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I feel morto for grown ups that like it but then.... It's harmless I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I feel morto for grown ups that like it but then.... It's harmless I guess.

Many would the same way about gamers and gaming.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As long as it's kept off sky sports and on E! Or Nickelodeon I have no problem with it.

Meh, plenty of non sports on sky in fairness. Darts being the main one I can think of (not a knock on darts btw). It's better having live programming on sports channels rather than endless replays of formula 1, premier league matches and *shudders* cricket.
    Although now sky have 'split' the channels they manage to do that anyways.

I try to keep up with it but must admit my interest has waned considerably in the past few years, and would probably be gone entirely but for the PW Boards forum. Don't post much but use it more than anywhere else for info on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Necrominus wrote: »
    Meh, plenty of non sports on sky in fairness. Darts being the main one I can think of (not a knock on darts btw).

You could argue for darts I guess. IMO it's a game (a massively skillful one) rather than an athletic contest. Poker is where I draw the line though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Omackeral wrote: »
    Many would the same way about gamers and gaming.

Indeed they could and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great theatre and live action. Very rare now a days. Back in the day all entertainment was of this method but Wrestling is of a near exception in that it is still thriving in live theatres.

Great fun too.

There are people who don't like it, which is fair enough but there are people who get really really pissy about it. As in properly aggravated. I don't understand that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    You could argue for darts I guess. IMO it's a game (a massively skillful one) rather than an athletic contest. Poker is where I draw the line though.

Yeah I would consider the likes of darts and poker etc to be skills (and as a result games formed from these skills) and not sports but I still rather seeing these as live events featured on sports channels rather than replays.

I've never watched a game of football, tennis, whatever via replay. I sometimes do with boxing, UFC and WWE but that's mainly to avoid the incessant and breaks.
    Can't get immersed in certain sports if I'm watching a replay of a full game even if I didn't know the result.

Getting way OT here but way back in the early noughties RTE showed delayed coverage of a Sligo Kildare GAA match. It was a huge win for Sligo at the time and I couldn't feel the same buzz as I could have watching it live. It's a personal thing I guess.

I was a huge fan for years of the WWE but I'm finding that missing a couple of weeks of RAW these days isn't stressing me out anymore. I can just jump back in and nothing has really changed especially with the part time champion.
    Huge fan of Braun Strowman recently though he's been the best thing about the product for months imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

I really hate how some look down on wrestling fans, don't know why anyone would look down on someone for enjoying a particular art form. Especially the type who'll look down on wrestling for being fake but then get all excited over the game of the thrones.

Wrestling is the greatest sport in the world. Full of crazy people taking insane risks with their bodies. The off screen politics can often be more interesting than what we see on screen. The business is still full of carnies. And what a time to be alive with the options of all the different wrestling to watch. After the McGregor fight I was watching live wrestling from Mexico at 6 in the morning. Waching Mexican wrestling was quite the experience, as they appear to be stuck in some sort of time warp.

The escapism wrestling provides is really important to me. It can provide great highs and lows, and even great comedy. Plus now with OTT around I get to go to a live show every month. No matter how down I'm feeling or stressed out, I always have a blast for those few hours of catching up with friends and watching some wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I enjoy pro wrestling. The recent New Japan G1 Climax was thoroughly entertaining.

WWE has its peaks troughs in terms of the quality of their shows so sometimes I'll just dip in and out.

Been a fan since childhood. The "acceptance" level of wrestling tends to differ depending on how mainstream it is eg. during the late 90s and early 2000s it was far more popular that through the 90s and the past decade and a half save perhaps for The Rock's return a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's good fun.

Oh it's true

It's damn true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

As long as it's kept off sky sports and on E! Or Nickelodeon I have no problem with it.

Why would you care what's on Sky Sports?

Don't they have like 8 channels (not including Sky Sports news)?

Main Event
    Football
    Cricket
    Golf
    F1
    Action
    Arena
    Mix

A crime for it to take up a few hours on one of the EIGHT sports channels on your dearly beloved Sky Sports?

If you don't like it don't watch it? I'm sure even the biggest sports enthusiast can find something to watch on the other 7 channels.

Bizarre comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I used to enjoy it as a young lad. Shawn Michaels and Triple H teamed as DX were some pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mokuba wrote: »
    Why would you care what's on Sky Sports?

Don't they have like 8 channels (not including Sky Sports news)?

Main Event
    Football
    Cricket
    Golf
    F1
    Action
    Arena
    Mix

A crime for it to take up a few hours on one of the EIGHT sports channels on your dearly beloved Sky Sports?

If you don't like it don't watch it? I'm sure even the biggest sports enthusiast can find something to watch on the other 7 channels.

Bizarre comment.

I have to pay extra for Sky Sports, which I happily do because I enjoy watching sport.

Wrestling is entertainment, it isn't a sport so they shouldn't show it on a channel that sports fans pay extra for.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Omackeral wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar will take you to Suplex City.

Yea alright, but I fancy my chances. By the time he's changed into his speedos, oiled himself up and done his little entrance dance I'll be long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I have to pay extra for Sky Sports, which I happily do because I enjoy watching sport.

Wrestling is entertainment, it isn't a sport so they shouldn't show it on a channel that sports fans pay extra for.

8 channels.

The entire point of that is so that people have choice.

Again, I'm sure that you can find something you'd like on the other 7. Or on Sky Sports News, for the few hours it's on a week.

awec wrote: »
    Yea alright, but I fancy my chances. By the time he's changed into his speedos, oiled himself up and done his little entrance dance I'll be long gone.

Surprisingly detailed post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's why they invented cage matches

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mokuba wrote: »
    8 channels.

The entire point of that is so that people have choice.

Again, I'm sure that you can find something you'd like on the other 7. Or on Sky Sports News, for the few hours it's on a week.

The point is that it doesn't belong on a sports channel any more than Coronation Street or X Factor do...it shouldn't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If someone over 25 told me they liked WWE... I'd glance around to see if they had a carer with them tbh.

Soccer fans complaining about simulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The reason that wrestling is on Sky Sports is a sort of quirk of pay TV. In Britain most people for a long time only had terrestrial stations and when Sky came along their pay channels were movies and sport. The first Wrestlemania Sky aired wad actually on one of their movie channels and then later Sky1 aired some second run programmes and the main shows aired on the sport channel.

In the US WWE and other wrestling is on fairly general non-sport channels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's kids television. Immediately loses the allure and appeal it had when you find out it is fake.

It is not a sport, no matter how in-shape the actors are or how dangerous their stunts are. The fact it's actually shown on Sky Sports is hilarious in itself.

I don't understand the appeal to adults. It has a massive fanbase and seems to sell out arenas. I guess it's like grown up pantomime?

It's entertainment at the end of the day and if people want to go and pay to watch it, fire away. But a sport it is 100% not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

If someone over 25 told me they liked WWE... I'd glance around to see if they had a carer with them tbh.

Ah sure you could say the same about m mma fans :).

I mean your a Connor McGregor fan right? Where do you think his gimmick and mic work is Coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

And there we have it. Only took a few hours to get to the speedos and oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah sure you could say the same about m mma fans :).

I mean your a Connor McGregor fan right? Where do you think his gimmick and mic work is Coming from?

MMA/UFC fights ain't fake though and that makes all the difference in the world.

WWE is pretend fighting.

It would be like sitting down to watch the Grand Prix of a Sunday and all the drivers just ran around the track making car noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It's kids television. Immediately loses the allure and appeal it had when you find out it is fake.

It is not a sport, no matter how in-shape the actors are or how dangerous their stunts are. The fact it's actually shown on Sky Sports is hilarious in itself.

I don't understand the appeal to adults. It has a massive fanbase and seems to sell out arenas. I guess it's like grown up pantomime?

It's entertainment at the end of the day and if people want to go and pay to watch it, fire away. But a sport it is 100% not.

theirs more athleticism needed in wrestling than a lot of the sports on sky at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

sky88 wrote: »
    theirs more athleticism needed in wrestling than a lot of the sports on sky at the minute.

That's wonderful. That doesn't make scripted acting with muscles a sport.

You have two actors, with a scripted event, and a scripted outcome, performing an intricate and sometimes acrobatic act. That is not sport, it is performance/theater/entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MMA/UFC fights ain't fake though and that makes all the difference in the world.

WWE is pretend fighting.

It would be like sitting down to watch the Grand Prix of a Sunday and all the drivers just ran around the track making car noises.

Or imagine a Grand Prix that was fixed so that exciting stuff actually happens once in a while, god that would be awful

Advertisement