Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling/WWE - What's your opinion on it?

Options
  • 28-08-2017 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

What's your opinion on people, adult people, watching WWE and enjoying it?

I've been watching the weird and wonderful world of wrestling for as long as I can remember. It was always a great form of escapism with battles and storylines plus athleticism. It was huge in the 1980's with Hulk Hogan and again in the late 90's with Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock on top.

I used to be a little embarrassed to say I like it and was often met with the usual "you know it's not real, right?". Well yes, I do know it's not real. Do you honestly think you're breaking news to me or any other fan? Everyone that watches over the age of 9 or 10 knows it's scripted. It's just fun to watch!

The same fellas that try to belittle you for liking something they don't because it's scripted are the same people creaming themselves over Game of Thrones with dragons and stuff every Monday. They know it's not real and that it's scripted right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Coronation street for men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

jive wrote: »
    Coronation street for men

More Eastenders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its tongue in cheek fun everyone knows its make believe

rather watch watch it than that glorified thuggery MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No issue with it, people can like whatever they like and I won't care.

As long as nobody describes it as sport. That's going too far, and I do start to care then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not as in to it now as I was as a nipper.

Back in the days of the Undertaker and Macho Man it was fantastic entertainment. Friday nights were all about WWF Superstars in our house. I still remember the first match I watched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

osarusan wrote: »
    No issue with it, people can like whatever they like and I won't care.

As long as nobody describes it as sport. That's going too far, and I do start to care then.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a sport in the real sense of the word. They describe themselves as sports-entertainment and I've have zero issue with that. There's definitely athleticism in it and plenty of sports stars have crossed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Some of the outfits that the wrestlers wear can be a little unnerving, couldn't they just have them wear shorts or something other than speedos?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never saw the appeal. Even as a kid I thought wrestling was a bit silly. Do find it a bit perplexing as to how adults could enjoy it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

fryup wrote: »
    its tongue in cheek fun everyone knows its make believe

rather watch watch it than that glorified thuggery MMA

oh my . . . .

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Never saw the appeal. Even as a kid I thought wrestling was a bit silly. Do find it a bit perplexing as to how adults could enjoy it.

Same as how adults enjoy Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Kardashians or Big Brother I suppose.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cringeworthy nonsense with piss poor writing, terrible acting and just all round embarrassing "action".

awec wrote: »
    Cringeworthy nonsense with piss poor writing, terrible acting and just all round embarrassing "action".

Brock Lesnar will take you to Suplex City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a load of made up nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I love it and seeing it live in person is great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Haven't watched it since guys like 'Macho Man' Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan were at their peak. Entertaining old nonsense.

Would appear that the 'man children' who watch it have migrated to UFC. Overweight men with beards talking about floor technique and gassing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

I'm a huge wrestling fans but I have stopped watching. It just doesn't appeal to me as the wrestlers these days aren't convincing . For an adult to like it , it has to be entertaining for adults. Like who remembers the Katie Vick story. Absolutely rubbish but fascinating to see what is going to happen next.

II knew it was fake but seeing stone cold come out to whoop ass was brilliant.

If the product was good I'd start watching again but since about 2009 I haven't watched it although i had a few short renasiannces since then .

People say that Vinny Mac is out of touch but ever since he took more of a side seat to hhh behind the scenes, the product hasn't been as good . Less ridiculous yes, but not as entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Trailer park entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Arghus wrote: »

Like every book and tv show in general then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I would actually follow the indies a lot more closely these days than WWE.

Anyone who says they don't like it, I'd urge to check out the liks of OTT (they do shows in the Tivoli).

As an aside, I don't really see any difference between pro wrestling and a regular tv show except the lads/girls are doing one take stunts that could potentially cripple them if they get it wrong. That at least deserves some respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Unless this is going on then I dont want to know:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Dramatik wrote: »
    Some of the outfits that the wrestlers wear can be a little unnerving, couldn't they just have them wear shorts or something other than speedos?

Ah yes, this old chestnut. I was wondering when this would be peddaled out.

I have yet to see any wrestler wearing speedos. In over 28 years of watching it.

I was just surprised that you hadn't also included "oiled up" in your comment

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sky88 wrote: »

Not really, books and tv shows have plots and actors of an at least passable standard. Even the bad ones.

Wrestling has neither of these things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Unless this is going on then I dont want to know:

tenor.gif

I've been looking for that gif for a while, I just couldnt remember who it was throwing the cans though.

Only a matter of time until McG heads over there too for a wrestlemania appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Session Moth Martina is my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

sky88 wrote: »

No.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Session Moth Martina is my favourite

Cans on a Pole Match :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As long as it's kept off sky sports and on E! Or Nickelodeon I have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hmmmmmmm conor mcgregor vs stone cold steve austin

if it was done for real it'd be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Arghus wrote: »

It's real and if you say that again I'll get The Big Show after you jabroni.

I used to get confused about Dwayne Johnson's character always referring to himself in the third person. Took me a while till I figured that he was talking about himself. Took me even longer to realize he did not also double-job as a chef...

Advertisement