Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 2017-18 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

b.gud wrote: »
    Up and running now, they aren't going to start scoring until next week though

They should put up a decent first prize to generate interest. Surely a trip for 2 to any game of your choice with flights and accommodation covered would be worth it. It would cost a few grand (though they could surely find sponsors) but that's not exactly big money. Current prizes are tickets/merchandise which is garbage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys 22-13 Zebre. No BP.

Kings winger got gas. 5-7 to the Kings.

The kick from Coleman for the try was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

And 1/2p gets his first try for Scarlets......and converts from the touchline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Was really hard to assess Ulsters performance last night. Were Ulster really good or were Cheetahs really poor? Last thing anybody wants is a PRO14 with 4 bottom of the table teams (Italian and SA). Thankfully Kings are putting it up to Scarlets so maybe there is hope for this new competition. It has been proven that the old Pro12 teams can compete with French and English teams so it would be a shame if it the brand was weakened by adding two bottom of the table teams

Good game this. Both sides looking to play at pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Was really hard to assess Ulsters performance last night. Were Ulster really good or were Cheetahs really poor? Last thing anybody wants is a PRO14 with 4 bottom of the table teams (Italian and SA). Thankfully Kings are putting it up to Scarlets so maybe there is hope for this new competition. It has been proven that the old Pro12 teams can compete with French and English teams so it would be a shame if it the brand was weakened by adding two bottom of the table teams

Cheetahs werent poor. They will cause a lot of problems for quite a few teams and will challenge for playoffs

This is an excellent debut so far considering it's a thrown together team that only started training 2-3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Kings are very dangerous. Their entire backline is rapid.

Sithole just gassed McNicholl and then ran over Halfpenny.

• Advertisement

The Kings came close twice to tries. They look full value at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Cheetahs werent poor. They will cause a lot of problems for quite a few teams and will challenge for playoffs

Its hard to be sure if what you say is true. Ulster had such a poor season last year its difficult to say how good they really are this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Enjoying this, although I expect the Scarlets to pull away eventually.

The Kings back row like a carry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Its hard to be sure if what you say is true. Ulster had such a poor season last year its difficult to say how good they really are this year.

Yeah but the difference the two Saffas in the Ulster back make can't be overstated, but time will tell.

I reckon the Cheetahs will run teams into the ground playing at home at altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So nice to have rugby back on the tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scarlets/Kings was the right way to start the season. Both teams love running with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Scarlets are looking good, but Kings are giving them a good match, and I don't think 29-10 does them justice. - very entertaining stuff.

Scarlets look as strong as their run-in last season. Add Jonathan Davies at outside centre and their backline is truly frightening. Steff Evans and McNicholl on the wing are a constant threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I know the results dont look great but I would rather watch these two SA teams than that Italian crap. They might have a tough first season but unlike the Italians I think they will improve.

Poor Kings. You wonder if the league should have started one of the SA teams in Italy or the Dragons to give them an easier start.

• Advertisement

I am officially subscribing the McNichol fan club.

.ak wrote: »
    I am officially subscribing the McNichol fan club.

Was he a starter in Super Rugby? He's excellent.

Ah heor, this is cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Scarlets handling is so good for first game.
    It is a long season though.
    The setup of the league now favours a late charger.

Was he a starter in Super Rugby? He's excellent.

I remember him at Crusaders but I can't remember if he was a starter that often. . .

He played 15 mostly last year but he's looking great on the wing. As a winger he's a joy to watch, knows when to come in field and knows how to counter and come off his wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Fecking Munster and Connacht next for the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cheetahs have some serious pace in their backs and will score a lot of tries. At altitude i expect them to be good at home

They wont be resting guys the way other sides will rotate as they get some weeks off when the reat of the league has europe

Leinster vs Cardiff
    Edinburgh vs Dragons
    Glasgow vs Ospreys
    Munster vs Cheetahs
    Benetton vs Ulster
    Connacht vs Kings
    Zebre vs Scarlets

All games are televised.

It doesn't get much easier for the South African sides as Connacht will want to bounce back and Munster are in form. Glasgow vs Ospreys is the pick of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Glasgow vs Ospreys is the pick of games.

I'm increasingly thinking of the old Pro12 as the top 6 and the bottom 6. I didn't realise how dominant the top6 were. (Only once have Connacht finished higher than 6th in the last 6 years. No one else of Cardiff, Edinburgh, Dragons, Treviso or Zebre have done it).

This game is the first game between two Top6 teams. It's a cross conference game though.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm increasingly thinking of the old Pro12 as the top 6 and the bottom 6. I didn't realise how dominant the top6 were. (Only once have Connacht finished higher than 6th in the last 6 years. No one else of Cardiff, Edinburgh, Dragons, Treviso or Zebre have done it).

This game is the first game between two Top6 teams. It's a cross conference game though.

In terms of the run of results yes, but over the course of a season those bottom 6 teams regularly take a few scalps so on a week to week basis there are good fixtures that on the face of the entire season seem more insignificant than they are.

Advertisement