Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No bollards top of Grafton Street- possible terrorist attack?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

ofcork wrote: »
    Sunday world says there will be bollards going up.

Good. Was out with my wife in town last night for dinner and walked down Grafton Street at around 6:30pm. I didn't see a single Gardai bar one rather plump lady on a bike at college green. The street was absolutely packed with locals, tourists, street performers etc.. a basic car never mind a van or truck would have caused carnage with absolutely zero security measures in place to oppose any potential Islamic terrorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I was in Dublin CC last week and I was so paranoid about getting run over! Grafton Street is a complete easy target. I actually couldn't believe how easy it would be for a would be attacker. You could drive the entire length of Grafton St, top to bottom.

I think we should be taking every precaution there is to stop these attacks and minimise the severity of it, if it did happen. If the bollards saved even one life, then they have done their job.

Unfortunately I don't think it's a case of if but more a case of when the attack will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Will be a weekly thread then.

I didn't know a thread had gone up, don't mean to bring it up again if it was already discussed. I'm not on boards as much as i was.

I understand that there are other things like car accidents that are more likely to happen, but i know we are aware of that and are taking measures to minimise risk like checkpoints and adverts ect. This isn't some crazy idea, it's happening all the time now.

It has been mentioned that a car could plummet into bus stops and pretty much most streets but the point of Grafton street was that it is an easy target to maximize casualties, which seems to be the sole purpose of a lot of these attacks.

A lot of countries in Europe seem to be taking these types of ill expensive measures and i hadn't heard anything from our side. I really think it would be money well spent, a lot of "if we can't stop it all lets do nothing" speak from people, i just don't get that line of thinking when this small thing could possibly deter some maniac from doing it in that spot.

Anyway, don't mean to be a debbie downer! , thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was in Ballygobackwards yesterday.

Loads of people out walking on the Main St, standing outside pubs having a smoke. Any car could just drive up on to the footpath and kill a dozen people. Damn Marxist councils!!

Won't somebody please think of the childer!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am no alarmist, but they really should put them in regardless of the possible threat. What harm like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There was a minor outcry when Boris Johnson had the barriers removed from London Bridge prior to the vehicular attack there. He thought they were unsightly and ineffective.
    I think they should just install the barriers on Grafton St. It's a fairly small measure and it is a densely packed area at times and its better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So depressing that we even have to this discussion.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I think we need something like The Bear Patrol from The Simpsons.

"We're here, we're queer we don't want anymore bears"

Advertisement