Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No bollards top of Grafton Street- possible terrorist attack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A waste of time and money ,close one Street off you have to close all Streets in every town and city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No, we'll wait until after the attack to sort it.

The Marxist Dublin City Council don't want to offend people either, so we'll keep it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Gatling wrote: »
    A waste of time and money ,close one Street off you have to close all Streets in every town and city

there arent too many , Henry st would be the other one, all the rest theyd just get stuck in traffic :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

They'll have quite a challenge trying to drive/run past the packs of(mule like) phone junkies/language students/entitled window shoppers with anything other than a TANK!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Wouldn't have this problem if we only had self-driving cars.

In the meantime, Dublin pedestrians ignore the "red man" lights so often, they're adept at leaping out of the way of oncoming vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Whatever you do there will always be a softer target. Your chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are vanishingly small but they make the news and scare people. We have 300 people killed on the roads every year but it doesn't put anyone off driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

IMO DCC are not too worried about terrorist attacks as all these attacks involving trucks had speed. The congestion in Dublin is so horrific, it will be difficult to gain enough speed to cause serious damage. The traffic crawls anywhere within 10 mins of Henry St/Grafton St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

WellThen? wrote: »
    A car could ram the whole way down Grafton street, was just in there this morning, i never noticed how completely vulnerable it would be. On a busy day could do some serious amount of damage.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3399176,-6.2606385,2a,75y,329.47h,82.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-kyxAT0SN8SmZaOwnvwGbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know it's accessible for delivery vans and stuff but would it not be safer to have some bollards that could be removed after the morning deliveries or something. Collapsible poles or something.

Just wondering what people thought really....

Good afternoon!

There definitely should be bollards on all of the side streets and at the bottom and top of Grafton Street and other pedestrian zones. This isn't a waste of money if it saves peoples lives in the event of a terrorist incident. It isn't just Islamic State that are beginning to use this method.

I was staying in Holland recently in the countryside between Amsterdam and Hilversum and on some bridges over canals they have bollards that are activated by mobile phone to come down. I was stuck at one until a resident helped me out and called the number. Have regular delivery drivers registered on the phone activation system to put them up and down.

The Gardaí are far too complacent about this and other forms of crime in the inner city. Similar measures should be considered for O'Connell Street. Raised edges on pedestrian walkways to stop cars and other vehicles mounting the kerb.

Radical jihadis aren't going away, and the far-right aren't going away. There is always the risk of an incident. There also needs to be a way of rapidly deploying armed officers into a situation to stop it within minutes. The London Bridge incident was particularly impressive. In the aftermath of this there were flyers handed out to people at train stations with numbers to use for contacting police to report suspicious activity, and documenting the run, hide, tell advice for dealing with terrorism.

These changes to streets aren't massively expensive and can save lives.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

IMO DCC are not too worried about terrorist attacks as all these attacks involving trucks had speed. The congestion in Dublin is so horrific, it will be difficult to gain enough speed to cause serious damage. The traffic crawls anywhere within 10 mins of Henry St/Grafton St

Caused this to pop up in my brain.

https://youtube/bF-T1FB3Yno

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

5 killed at a bus stop on Wellington Quay: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/five-dead-in-worst-tragedy-in-the-history-of-dublin-bus-26218114.html

That was an accident but anyone could plough into a busy bus stop anywhere in the city - you can't protect people from these types of attacks by putting the odd bollard here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Good afternoon!

There definitely should be bollards on all of the side streets and at the bottom and top of Grafton Street and other pedestrian zones. This isn't a waste of money if it saves peoples lives in the event of a terrorist incident. It isn't just Islamic State that are beginning to use this method.

I was staying in Holland recently in the countryside between Amsterdam and Hilversum and on some bridges over canals they have bollards that are activated by mobile phone to come down. I was stuck at one until a resident helped me out and called the number. Have regular delivery drivers registered on the phone activation system to put them up and down.

The Gardaí are far too complacent about this and other forms of crime in the inner city. Similar measures should be considered for O'Connell Street. Raised edges on pedestrian walkways to stop cars and other vehicles mounting the kerb.

Radical jihadis aren't going away, and the far-right aren't going away. There is always the risk of an incident. There also needs to be a way of rapidly deploying armed officers into a situation to stop it within minutes. The London Bridge incident was particularly impressive. In the aftermath of this there were flyers handed out to people at train stations with numbers to use for contacting police to report suspicious activity, and documenting the run, hide, tell advice for dealing with terrorism.

These changes to streets aren't massively expensive and can change lives.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

what do you think the wannabe terrorist will do if they put these in place - just drive into the bollards anyway and say "d'oh"? They'll go somewhere else where there's no bollards. Vehicles interact with pedestrians on nearly every road in the country.

loyatemu wrote: »
    what do you think the wannabe terrorist will do if they put these in place - just drive into the bollards anyway and say "d'oh"? They'll go somewhere else where there's no bollards.

Good afternoon!

This is the point. Keep people away from the main thoroughfares in the city. Most pedestrian traffic in Dublin is between the top of O'Connell Street and the bottom of Grafton Street. These measures are about damage limitation. Also, when College Green is pedestrianised these changes need to be put in place.

Yes, they can kill people elsewhere on a different road, but the road won't contain the vast majority of pedestrian traffic in the city.

And yes, sure, people could put on a suicide vest and bring firearms, but if this is shut down quickly by an armed anti-terrorist unit it'll be stopped within minutes rather than hours. This is where I have to say the British did an incredible job with Westminster and London Bridge in terms of damage limitation.

Ireland isn't exempt from terrorist threats.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Better than fortifications that aren't required or needed

Walls or bollards won't stop any attack

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

A car could ram the whole way down Grafton street, was just in there this morning, i never noticed how completely vulnerable it would be. On a busy day could do some serious amount of damage.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3399176,-6.2606385,2a,75y,329.47h,82.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-kyxAT0SN8SmZaOwnvwGbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know it's accessible for delivery vans and stuff but would it not be safer to have some bollards that could be removed after the morning deliveries or something. Collapsible poles or something.

A car would never make it the when way down Grafton street. It's too packed. So many people that a car would be stopped by the pile of people in front of it before it got 50 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

stimpson wrote: »
    Whatever you do there will always be a softer target. Your chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are vanishingly small but they make the news and scare people. We have 300 people killed on the roads every year ]but it doesn't put anyone off driving.

Not for years has it been that high - 180 is about the typical in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

5 killed at a bus stop on Wellington Quay: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/five-dead-in-worst-tragedy-in-the-history-of-dublin-bus-26218114.html

That was an accident but anyone could plough into a busy bus stop anywhere in the city - you can't protect people from these types of attacks by putting the odd bollard here and there.

you can make an attempt to make sure its not over 100

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

I just locked my front door. Damn now I have to go and lock all the doors in my house. :mad::mad::mad:

Has to be the most idiotic post I've read today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Marxist Dublin City Council don't want to offend people either, so we'll keep it as it is.

Look if mass murder was the intent, all you need is two or three knife wielding IS boarding the LUAS and attacking between stops one from each end of a carriage

marcus001 wrote: »
    Has to be the most idiotic post I've read today.

I might have to take this back because there's a lot of stiff competition in this thread.

No, you can close off one street and not close off any others if you want to. So obvious I feel stupid even saying it.

But Grafton street and Henry street are basically the only streets in the capital which pose a significant risk. Of course you could always just mount the kerb and hit some pedestrians, but there's a lamppost or bus stop or bin every few feet so you wouldn't get very far. You could drive the whole way down Grafton street and hit nothing but people.
    A car would never make it the when way down Grafton street. It's too packed. So many people that a car would be stopped by the pile of people in front of it before it got 50 feet.

That's pure bollocks from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Have you ever seen someone get hit by a car? It's a 2 tonne projectile. If it's even going 30 km/h it's going to toss you in the air like a rag doll or roll right over you.

Imagine this happening on Grafton street on a packed day where there's barely enough room to walk never mind get out of the way of a car travelling at speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0OD8vEWLs

:confused:

Not only is what you're saying not true on several fronts, the Nice attacker slowed down several times and traffic is actually alright between about 10 and 3 on weekdays. It doesn't take much of a run up to get to 50km/h. It's also a very bizarre rationale as to why the council wouldn't be worried about terrorism. Because traffic.
    what do you think the wannabe terrorist will do if they put these in place - just drive into the bollards anyway and say "d'oh"? They'll go somewhere else where there's no bollards. Vehicles interact with pedestrians on nearly every road in the country.

They'll go somewhere else where there's no bollards and also less people. Far less people. There's no space in Dublin where as many people are exposed as on the two main shopping streets.

Look if mass murder was the intent, all you need is two or three knife wielding IS boarding the LUAS and attacking between stops one from each end of a carriage

You seem to be suggesting that finding 2 other lads who want to commit mass murder with you is easy.

If you're alone and want to maximise casualties and don't know how to make bombs the car attack is the way to go.

• Advertisement

I might have to take this back because there's a lot of stiff competition in this thread.

No, you can close off one street and not close off any others if you want to. So obvious I feel stupid even saying it.

But Grafton street and Henry street are basically the only streets in the capital which pose a significant risk.

I believe your Actually wrong ,

Bollards won't stop a Terrorist attack on any street ,
    I seem to remember an incident when someone drove up Henry Street hitting pedestrians years back ,
    And yet nobody needed bollards or other defences built to make sure it doesn't happen again ,

I believe your Actually wrong ,

Bollards won't stop a Terrorist attack on any street ,
    I seem to remember an incident when someone drove up Henry Street hitting pedestrians years back ,
    And yet nobody needed bollards or other defences built to make sure it doesn't happen again ,

Good afternoon!

You're missing the point somewhat.

Terrorist attacks are always possible, but putting bollards up on a street limits the potential of a vehicle based attack. Limiting easy accessibility for large vehicles in pedestrianised zones makes sense. This is why it was right for barriers and bollards to be placed on Westminster Bridge and London Bridge. It is about limiting the scope of impact on the busiest thoroughfares in the city. This would definitely save lives in the event of such an incident.

Likewise an effective counter-terrorist reporting system limits the time and scope of a terrorist operation.

The idea that doing something is worse than doing nothing is a fallacy.

Much thanks,
    solodeogloria

Your dead right and going by the Irish mentality of if someone is been attacked /assaulted just stand back and watch ,

One determined person could easily kill 5 -10 or more with a single knife on a luas ,dart ,train , Street or shopping centre ,
    And that's before you get to person /s with a rifle or explosives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Was this thread not done last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think those doing it might be happy enough with that result...

I drove past the top of Grafton St on Friday evening around 6.00pm. As I stopped at the pedestrian lights I could see just how easy it would be for a truck to mount the pathway and plough down through the packed pedestrian st. They could then jump out halfway through and disappear up a side street and vanish.
    With respect to AGS, unless the ARU were already on the street, there would be very little and un-armed Garda could do to stop the truck and not much if the assailants are armed.
    I do hope nothing ever happens, but I think it would be very naive to say it will never happen here, simple precautions like bollards at pedestrian areas would at least reduce that type of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Your dead right and going by the Irish mentality of if someone is been attacked /assaulted just stand back and watch , [...]

Or as has been proven already on the streets of Dublin when someone was in need of medical attention, out with their phones....
    To record it so as to be the first to post it on TwitFace.

But Grafton street and Henry street are basically the only streets in the capital which pose a significant risk. Of course you could always just mount the kerb and hit some pedestrians, but there's a lamppost or bus stop or bin every few feet so you wouldn't get very far. You could drive the whole way down Grafton street and hit nothing but people.

That's pure bollocks from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Have you ever seen someone get hit by a car? It's a 2 tonne projectile. If it's even going 30 km/h it's going to toss you in the air like a rag doll or roll right over you.

Imagine this happening on Grafton street on a packed day where there's barely enough room to walk never mind get out of the way of a car travelling at speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0OD8vEWLs

:confused:

Not only is what you're saying not true on several fronts, the Nice attacker slowed down several times and traffic is actually alright between about 10 and 3 on weekdays. It doesn't take much of a run up to get to 50km/h. It's also a very bizarre rationale as to why the council wouldn't be worried about terrorism. Because traffic.

They'll go somewhere else where there's no bollards and also less people. Far less people. There's no space in Dublin where as many people are exposed as on the two main shopping streets.

I think your sarcasm detector is faulty. Please get it looked at.

I think your sarcasm detector is faulty. Please get it looked at.

To be fair, even if your post was sincere it wouldn't have even been the stupidest one. Says it all really.

To be fair, even if your post was sincere it wouldn't have even been the stupidest one. Says it all really.

Oh dear. Not only is your sarcasm detector off, so is your humour detector. You should have a rest. Really, you should.
    Let people who are expert in the area decide if bollards are the right thing to do or not. Typo g doesn't make us experts, so so it's not going to be us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Someone could fly a drone packed with explosives into Croker.

Why are there no bollards in the sky to stop this happening?

Bloody Marxists running the council, I tell ya!!!

Now that we're all upset over innocent people being killed, when is Obama coming over to visit again? :rolleyes:

Advertisement