Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No bollards top of Grafton Street- possible terrorist attack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Someone could fly a drone packed with explosives into Croker.

Why are there no bollards in the sky to stop this happening?

Bloody Marxists running the council, I tell ya!!!

Now that we're all upset over innocent people being killed, when is Obama coming over to visit again? :rolleyes:

Could they?

Where would they get a large enough amount of explosives and where would they get a large enough drone?

It's all well and good making reductio ad absurdum arguments, but we're not dealing with absurd scenarios, we're dealing with a clear series of practically identical attacks and we can minimise the risk to the public for A FEW THOUSAND EURO and still idiots think it's better to do nothing simply because we can't prevent every attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

marcus001 wrote: »
    Could they?

Where would they get a large enough amount of explosives and where would they get a large enough drone?

Well that's you earning yourself a place on the FBI watchlist anyway.
    How could you even ask such a question? What are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Could they?

Buy one or make one and if they know what they are doing the same for explosives.

Simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The issue I see with Grafton Street is the numbers involved. Hitting a bus stop might kill a couple of people, a truck going down Grafton Street could kill a hundred. Of course there should be bollards, and on other major pedestrian locations. We're talking a handful of locations only - there is obviously no way to protect everywhere.

There's too much complacency - we might not be the target of a major organised attack, but it only takes one lunatic who isn't being monitored. Finland had a similar threat level to us and still got attacked.

Maybe the council could spend less time debating whether a Palestinian flag should be flown and more time debating what is appropriate to try and keep people safe.

I wonder if the people against this have ever actually been to Dublin...

Bollards are already everywhere. They have steel bollards all down the length of Grafton street on both sides, just not on the ends. There are steel bollards lining almost every pedestrian walkway in town.

So it's not that if we put them at the end of Grafton we'll have to put them everywhere, we already have them everywhere except the end of Grafton.

• Advertisement

Rocket launches at the top of every pedestrian street. Any car or truck heading down it gets blown up. Would be better, bollards aren't 100% effective. Rockets would work and make a big noise to warn those further down the street.
    Plus you take the truck out with a rocket. Using bollards would just encourage him to go somewhere else. With the rocket he's deaf and the truck weapon is disabled so can't go elsewhere.

I wonder if the people against this have ever actually been to Dublin...

Bollards are already everywhere. They have steel bollards all down the length of Grafton street on both sides, just not on the ends. There are steel bollards lining almost every pedestrian walkway in town.

So it's not that if we put them at the end of Grafton we'll have to put them everywhere, we already have them everywhere except the end of Grafton.

So now you think the posters here have never been to Dublin. I bet you are wrong. I bet at least 99% of them have been to Dublin.

Rocket launches at the top of every pedestrian street. Any car or truck heading down it gets blown up. Would be better, bollards aren't 100% effective. Rockets would work and make a big noise to warn those further down the street.
    Plus you take the truck out with a rocket. Using bollards would just encourage him to go somewhere else. With the rocket he's deaf and the truck weapon is disabled so can't go elsewhere.

A lot of effort for an unfunny attempt at humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I like this plan, if the rocket misses and hits a Pret A Manger full of hipsters all the better.

I like this plan, if the rocket misses and hits a Pret A Manger full of hipsters all the better.

Double impact eh
    :)

• Advertisement

A lot of effort for an unfunny attempt at humour.

I know. It's wasted on you. But we won't hold it against you. Youre busy, you have problems to solve. Mainly bollard problems, but problems nontheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

The coast of North Africa is the right place for the bollards, not Grafton St...

I know. It's wasted on you. But we won't hold it against you. Youre busy, you have problems to solve. Mainly bollard problems, but problems nontheless.

You're so aloof and cool :cool:

You're so aloof and cool :cool:

Get over it will you. Pleeeeeze.
    You are taking all this rather personally. Don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think we need something like The Bear Patrol from The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nermal wrote: »
    The coast of North Africa is the right place for the bollards, not Grafton St...

Please do explain what bollards at the North African coast will do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

IMO DCC are not too worried about terrorist attacks as all these attacks involving trucks had speed. The congestion in Dublin is so horrific, it will be difficult to gain enough speed to cause serious damage. The traffic crawls anywhere within 10 mins of Henry St/Grafton St

You've forgotten about the issue at wood quay with dunlin bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I wish people would busy themselves sending letters to the city councils about these issues instead of giving people notions. I really don't see the point of explaining in detail the best way and time to go about killing people in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Was this thread not done last week?

It was. But apparently those involved didn't get the respect and praise they deserved so they're giving it a second stab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Samaris wrote: »
    I wish people would busy themselves sending letters to the city councils about these issues instead of giving people notions. I really don't see the point of explaining in detail the best way and time to go about killing people in Dublin.

Its obvious anyway - a drone attack.

• Advertisement

Get over it will you. Pleeeeeze.
    You are taking all this rather personally. Don't.

"Ah miss, I was only messin'"

I'm not taking it personally I just think you're a knob

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Marcus, I'm sure that you don't realise I but you are actually a really, really funny man!
    Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sunday world says there will be bollards going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Samaris wrote: »
    Letters do nothing, a majority of the council are more concerned about the fate of Palestine than the safety of people on our streets. The more public discussions the better, it will hopefully shame them into action - or at least make their inaction clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Grayson wrote: »
    It was. But apparently those involved didn't get the respect and praise they deserved so they're giving it a second stab.

Will be a weekly thread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't import terrorists - no need for bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,256 ✭✭✭✭Victor

WellThen? wrote: »
    would it not be safer to have some bollards that could be removed after the morning deliveries
    You might rethink this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

biko wrote: »
    Don't import terrorists - no need for bollards.

how else are we going to destroy European culture? I thought that was the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

stimpson wrote: »
    Whatever you do there will always be a softer target. Your chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are vanishingly small but they make the news and scare people. We have 300 people killed on the roads every year but it doesn't put anyone off driving.

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

So what if there are softer targets? Terrorists aren't the sharpest or most imaginative tools in the box. See how it took them so long to think of simply running people over, now they're all at it. They also try and target well known places too, the attention seeking ****s. So a bit of money spent on closing down certain streets would be money well spend imo. And Dublin would absolutely be a target as it's an international city, in a way an attack is slightly more likely there than say Edinburgh or Cardiff as London and Manchester are bigger attractions within the UK.

Advertisement