Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit strange relationships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure, young girls can be just as sexual as young boys, but in my humble its the adult's job to leave it as a one way thing. Take it as a complement and go back to the rock star hotel with the nubile twenty five year old(s). Plus these girls mentioned above looked like girls. I don't mean young women who look older and a man might think they're of age, I just can't understand how any adult bloke could get off on the ones who look like 14 year olds. :confused: .

Neither would I C. However consent requires the ability and maturity to consent. In my humble a 14 year old just isn't on the same level as a 30 year old.

I agree, Wibbs, the romantic imaginations of a young teenager might be way off the reality of actual sex with a much older person.
    On the other hand I remember that my teenage hormones craved sex because it was something unknown and grown-up. I always thought that a much older man would have been more thoughtful and experienced, not that groping and fumbling with boys my age. I was in this regard very pushy, but lucky enough (in hindsight) older boys/men just stopped short.
    Or was it lucky? Who knows.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Cool story going to a Hendrix gig though. :) When I was a kid I knew a bloke who had been at a Hendrix gig(IIRC there were others on the bill) in London, when he was visiting Irish relatives in the place on school holidays. Anyway who does he bump into only John Lennon. Apparently to his young Irish eyes he looked like a space alien in his gear. And apparently a very nice bloke. They had a chat and Lennon told him his family were Irish too and was keen to hear from him what groups and singers he and his mates were listening to. Gave him a cigarette too. The corrupter of youth that he was. :D McCartney was also there but didn't speak to him beyond a friendly hello. Down the years I've met a few people who either were like yourself fans on the ground, or people in the biz and what surprises me is how accessible many of those "icons" were back then. Even when someone like Lennon moved to New York the chances of bumping into him walking through Central Park, or shopping for the papers and his gauloises ciggies was quite high. Before the whole PR and distance we have today, where fans are generally kept at a much greater distance. I suppose things like poor oul John being gunned down by a nutter was one of the things that changed that.

Ah, Jimi the old dear ... It was not that I fancied him as such, but after that concert (in Stuttgart, Germany) I was so hormonal because he played the guitar like pure sex. He still does on my Jimi-CDs ... sigh ...
    And it was the time of the super groupies. I always wanted to be one of them because I thought they must have an exciting life instead going to school and learning for exams. I fancied myself as the next Anita Pallenberg or Marianne Faithful.:rolleyes:
    Now I sound like granny is reminiscent of her rock'n'roll past that never happened as such... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Danny Boyle and Rosario Dawson a few years ago.

Not that there was anything sinister about it - they just seemed a bit...incongruous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Free pass from what exactly. What's he done wrong here? Disgusting is a bit strong.

Apologies; I didn't explain myself clearly enough.

Fry is a big, fat, slightly off-putting looking man; whose reputation is based on appearing in Blackadder, and presenting a quiz show where the whole premise was his dimwitted sidekick saying stupid things while 'polymath' Stephen corrected him.

The winner at the end of each show was the ego of Fry. He has since done a bit of work for Channel 4, presenting the Best Toy Ever, and other voice-over style material. Used to do ad for Twinnings tea. They've dropped that fairly lively. Wouldn't want to let Fry's reputation 'stew'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Fry is a big, fat, slightly off-putting looking man; whose reputation is based on appearing in Blackadder, and presenting a quiz show where the whole premise was his dimwitted sidekick saying stupid things while 'polymath' Stephen corrected him.

The winner at the end of each show was the ego of Fry. He has since done a bit of work for Channel 4, presenting the Best Toy Ever, and other voice-over style material. Used to do ad for Twinnings tea. They've dropped that fairly lively. Wouldn't want to let Fry's reputation 'stew'.

Ah now. He might not be exactly eye-candy, but did you ever consider brains as sexy? Well, I do.

Fry is an accomplished novelist, playright, and brilliant actor in many international films and tv-series/films, not just someone who is doing the z-list round on TV. Just look it up.

He is way more interesting than many people who think they are the bees knees - or people who judge others by their limited couch potatoe experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Ryan Tubridy and Aoibheann Ni Shuilleabhain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I must confess that I too have always found that relationship between Stephen Fry and your man that looks like Peter Pan to be a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ah I get it, a relationship is "strange" if one of the partners is ugly, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Mick Hucknell and all his girlfriends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

No one was rushing to the defence of any of the men being called creepy for using their money and fame to get younger women. Nor was anyone rushing to the defence of Lyle Lovett being called too ugly for Julia Roberts. As soon as a gay man is mentioned though everyone gets their knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It's also quite the coincidence that Fry's previous boy friend was another man who wouldn't look out of place on an U-15 soccer team.

426469.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You can say whatever you want about his physical appearance, that's completely subjective. But his reputation was well established before appearing in either Blackadder or QI.

He was half of one of the best comedy duos Britain ever produced. "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" and "Jeeves and Wooster" established Fry on television. He's also an acclaimed playwright and novelist. Objectively, Stephen Fry has had a wonderful career most comedians would give a limb to emulate.

You can find his personal life distasteful due to your own hang ups, but you can't deny he's had a great career.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Are you really comparing people fat old rich men(or in rare cases women) engaging in relationships with much less advantaged young adults in the same light as racial and religious bigotry? Silly argument.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'm not condemning anyone for being fat old or rich. I'm all of those things, myself.

What I think is totally creepy is if I was to use my elevated and advantaged position to prey on someone 20 or 30 years my junior who couldn't possibly enter a relationship with me on an even level.

While someone who views the world as transactional probably thinks Fry and Spencer's arrangement is totally fine, I view it as exploitative and downright creepy. The fact that all of Fry's partners look very boyish just amps up the creep factor.

Yes but presumably the difference between you and Fry and his boy friends is that you are not some famous or mega rich person where your partner chooses to sacrifice being with an attractive partner their own age in exchange for access to your wealth.

Or in Fry's case, the more cynical would suggest Spencer is sacrificing being physically and emotionally attracted to his partner in exchange to progress his writing career through fry. I'd imagine in your case, your partner isn't using you to get ahead in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yes but presumably the difference between you and Fry and his boy friends is that you are not some famous or mega rich person where your partner chooses to sacrifice being with an attractive partner their own age in exchange for access to your wealth.

Or in Fry's case, the more cynical would suggest Spencer is sacrificing being physically and emotionally attracted to his partner in exchange to progress his writing career through fry. I'd imagine in your case, your partner isn't using you to get ahead in employment.

So which is it?

Is Stephen a dirty old pedo, or a naive old man getting used to get ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It's also quite the coincidence that Fry's previous boy friend was another man who wouldn't look out of place on an U-15 soccer team.

426469.jpg

He also wouldnt look out of place in a college lecture theatre
    No need for the exaggerations and not so subtle accusations of paedophilia

His current boyfriend is 30. Hasn't been a child for well over a decade. And these men are willingly dating stephen fry, you do know that?

Relationships with large age gaps make me very uncomfortable, and stephen fry love life is no exception to this, but some of whats being said about him on this thread is just offensive and uncalled for.

• Advertisement

So which is it?

Is Stephen a dirty old pedo, or a naive old man getting used to get ahead?

I've never called him a pedophile. Though I do think he has some warped views on the topic.

But to answer your question. Neither and both. It's a mutually exploitative relationship in my opinion. Same as the instagram babe models you see with rich old fat guys on their yachts in Monaco or Marbella. I find the relationships tragic and sad.

Perhaps I'm just a romantic old fool but I find those transactional loveless affairs very disheartening.

I certainly wouldn't be happy if my young son arrived home with his latest boyfriend and in came a fat aul fella like Stephen Fry.

I've never called him a pedophile. Though I do think he has some warped views on the topic.

But to answer your question. Neither and both. It's a mutually exploitative relationship in my opinion. Same as the instagram babe models you see with rich old fat guys on their yachts in Monaco or Marbella. I find the relationships tragic and sad.

Perhaps I'm just a romantic old fool but I find those transactional loveless affairs very disheartening.

I certainly wouldn't be happy if my young son arrived home with his latest boyfriend and in came a fat aul fella like Stephen Fry.

Why mutually 'exploitative'? Why not mutually beneficial. They both entered into the relationship for reasons they thought to be worth it. It may not be ideal, I also think its sad, at least from the outside looking in. But its what they want, and I dont think we are in the position to question that especially when we known absolutely nothing about their relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Portia di Rossi and Ellen DeGeneres.

Portia is an absolute ride, Ellen is not.
    There, I said it.

Panthro wrote: »

There, I said it.

yeh ellen got lucky there i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Panthro wrote: »

There, I said it.

I dunno, I'm a straight male, and if she was interested, I'd have a crack at Ellen. Always thought there was something about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As you get older you realise that looks count for very little. Give me a stable smart kind "homely" woman any day over an entitled unstable crazy but hot bitch.

Also the assumption that a young hot woman and a rich older man couldn't genuinely be in a comfortable or loving relationship is ridiculous. Stranger things have happened
    No doubt in my mind that a large number of these kind of relationships are transactional, but Im sure at least some have grown over time into more genuine relationships where they care about each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

professore wrote: »
    As you get older you realise that looks count for very little. Give me a stable smart kind "homely" woman any day over an entitled unstable crazy but hot bitch.

It's entirely possible to be hot, stable, smart, kind and "homely".

AH always seems to assume if you're hot you must be a bitch.

Advertisement