Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit strange relationships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Van Morrison and Michelle Rocca.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What's wrong?

There's something very off about Fry. He marries a man half his age who looks like a teenage emo.

He also penned a play called Latin! which celebrated "the love of a man for a 13-year-old boy".

And yet plenty of straight men hook up with young ones and no one bats an eyelid.

Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith. He was 47 and she was 13 when they started seeing each other

How did he get away with that :confused:

Brad Pitt and Sinitta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There were jokes going around about Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones for years. There may be an age gap but she's clearly an adult.

Stephen Frys husband on the other hand looks like a child. I don't think I've heard a single joke about them. No one wants to be accused of sounding homophobic for saying this looks creepy as fuck.

stephen-fry-elliott-spencer---a.jpg

I also suspect the likes of Mock The Week, Have I got News For You and all the other BBC panel shows wouldn't allow anything to be said about him out of fear of him quitting. They're exactly the kind of programs that have been making jokes about Michael Douglas being a pervert for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

There were jokes going around about Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones for years. There may be an age gap but she's clearly an adult.

Stephen Frys husband on the other hand looks like a child. I don't think I've heard a single joke about them. No one wants to be accused of sounding homophobic for saying this looks creepy as fuck.

stephen-fry-elliott-spencer---a.jpg

I also suspect the likes of Mock The Week, Have I got News For You and all the other BBC panel shows wouldn't allow anything to be said about him out of fear of him quitting. They're exactly the kind of programs that have been making jokes about Michael Douglas being a pervert for years.

His husband is 30. Build a bridge and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

bobbyss wrote: »
    Amanda Holden / Les Dennis
    Trump / His wife

Can't think of any more at the moment. What explains these unlikely hook ups?

What's wrong with Les.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

eviltwin wrote: »
    Brad Pitt and Sinitta

Simon Cowell and Sinitta :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Exactly. You'd think it was 18 and 78 the way people are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

How did he get away with that :confused:

Exactly. They claimed at the time that they had no sexual relationship until she was legal, and married when she was 18. She has since admitted that they did so when she was 14. What a creep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

And yet plenty of straight men hook up with young ones and no one bats an eyelid.

yes, but theres that ''double whammy discrimination'' they have to face.

not only are they gay, but theres an age gap between them. these are two things society can have a problem with, so theres an extra burden in gaining acceptance,if they're looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

:confused: Most of this thread is about straight men hooking up with much younger women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Loon E. Tick

maudgonner wrote: »
    :confused: Most of this thread is about straight men hooking up with much younger women.
    There was a thread about that recently and it didn't end so well.

I think the greater the disparity between lots of different variables in a relationship leads people to instinctively make value judgements. Where there is a wide gap between age, looks, education, social status, socioeconomic background, finances etc In general people tend to be drawn towards the status quo and couples falling outside of what's considered a normal range tend to come under more scrutiny simply because they stand out more but there's probably no magic formula to determine if certain relationships will endure more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

But what about the opposite situation?

Emmanuel Macron and Brigitte for example. But I have no idea if one or other or both of them is gay or straight. I have my thoughts though. Maybe it's a "beard" thing, look it up on Urban Dictionary. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    What's wrong with Les.

That one fell in to the "she could do much better" category:)

Charles and Diana

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bill and Hil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Robbie Williams and the wife.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fry really is a disgusting man. He's a grotesquely overweight 60 year old who married a dude who looks like a waifish street urchin. Creepy as hell, but Fry seems to get a free pass as he's somehow seen as a national treasure.

Fry is disgusting why?

2 consenting adults marry. Shock horror!!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

But they don't get personally attacked by that poster the way Fry did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Brendan O'Connor & Anne Doyle, brief but Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

That one fell in to the "she could do much better" category:)

She ah, 'did' Neil Morrissey instead aka Tony from Men Behaving Badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Me and Jamie Dornan.

A girl can dream eh ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She ah, 'did' Neil Morrissey instead aka Tony from Men Behaving Badly.

Aka the voice of Bob the Builder... the thought of anyone involved in children's tv or film voiceovers in an intimate relationship... weird!

If only the Eric Cantona - Leslie Ash rumour was true, we could have had a nice Men Behaving Badly double!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I know what age his husband is. What I said is it looks creepy.

I don't need to get over anything. I don't give a shite about Stephen Fry. My point is the 'comedians' that appear on these BBC panel shows have been taking cheap shots at Michael Douglas and calling him a pervert for years but they would never say that about Stephen Fry even though there's a similar age gap. I've never seen anyone rushing to the defence of Michael Douglas either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I know what age his husband is. What I said is it looks creepy.

I don't need to get over anything. I don't give a shite about Stephen Fry. My point is the 'comedians' that appear on these BBC panel shows have been taking cheap shots at Michael Douglas and calling him a pervert for years but they would never say that about Stephen Fry even though there's a similar age gap. I've never seen anyone rushing to the defence of Michael Douglas either.

It's not only that. It looks creepy because it's clear Fry is a bit of a creep.

He wrote a play celebrating the love of a teacher for a 13 year old student. In the play the teacher elopes to Morrocco and takes the child with him to contunue their sexual relationship.

He decided to make a joke about paedophila at the BAFTAS.

He has been heavily critical of operation Yew Tree which is an investigation in to BBC pedos claiming that half of the allegations made by victims were false.

He also decided that on the night the whole extent of Jimmy Saviles crimes were revealed to go with a 'joke' reciting a limerick on QI that went as follows:

"There was a young chaplain from King's
    Who talked about God and such things;
    But his real desire
    Was a boy in the choir
    With a bottom like jelly on springs."

So it's not really too surprising that people raise an eyebrow when they see his spouse is a very boyish looking man 30 years his junior.

2532148800000578-0-image-m-32_1422958680900.jpg

But God forbid anyone point it out, much less make a joke about it, as you've rightly noticed.

Oh the old "gay=paedophile" nonsense.

Haven't heard that rubbish in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Oh the old "gay=paedophile" nonsense.

Haven't heard that rubbish in a while.

I never said that.

However Fry seems to have a fairly warped view on the topic.

Apologies if you didn't mean that but so many say that and it's horrible to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Apologies if you didn't mean that but so many say that and it's horrible to read.

It's all the worse when you read it even when it wasn't wrote, isn't it?

Advertisement