Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nice wall of text explaining your ignorance.

I feel sorry for your kids.

You’re so full of your own self-importance that you imagine anyone gives a ****e for your pity?

Come down out of there ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I get a flu jab the last 3 year's, no flu or complications...

In the last 4 weeks 3 of my colleagues have been out sick for a week on different week's.

Haven't had the flu in 3 year's either.

The odd sniffle here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

You’re so full of your own self-importance that you imagine anyone gives a ****e for your pity?

Come down out of there ffs.

You're leaving your children open to being infected by a preventable illness with life changing effects and even if they surrive they can spread it to other children who might not be as lucky.

I feel sorry for your children.And all the other children that have to interact with yours.

Zero tolerance..no creche or school access to children that are unvaccinated.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If someone wanted to bleed to death, rather than accept a blood transfusion, that's fine. They are an adult and have body autonomy. If they want their child to bleed to death, rather than give them a transfusion, the state steps in and says the child gets the transfusion.

This is true, however it’s a completely separate issue to the issue of vaccination. The State does not oblige parents to have their children vaccinated, and the State cannot simply step in and vaccinate children against a parents wishes.

the State cannot simply step in and vaccinate children against a parents wishes.
    And they won't. They can remove services.

no vacinations no school.simples

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    The problem here is that you don't worry about your children infecting everyone else. ****ty attitude indeed.

While that may be a problem for other people, it’s not a problem for me, as I don’t worry about my child being infected in the first place with HPV, let alone do I worry about the idea that they would spread the disease to any of their future sexual partners.

By the standards of what constitutes a shìtty attitude, that’s merely a disagreement of opinion, which would render the standard baseless. A ****ty attitude as far as I’m concerned is someone who refers to people who disagree with their opinions as ‘retarded’. Unfortunately, in spite of greater access to education, a treatment for Ignorance remains elusive as in spite the best efforts of many, some people still appear to be highly resistant.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Think they are right to be more concerned about what diseases your own shítty spawn has that could infect their child. Your negligence/under education affects them.

My own “****ty spawn”?

Wow, charmer :pac:

Thankfully for my child at least, the education I received appears to have differed from your own and I would never refer to anyone’s children as their “****ty spawn”, nor would I ever encourage my child to do so.

And they won't. They can remove services.

no vacinations no school.simples

What part of “parents who are not dependent upon public services” are you having difficulty with?

What part of “parents who are not dependent upon public services” are you having difficulty with?
    So your child doesn't use creche or school?

So your child doesn't use creche or school?

They were never enrolled in a crèche, and while they are enrolled in a public school, this simply means I don’t have to pay for their education privately.

The thing is though, that even if Government were to implement your strategy (which they won’t), it wouldn’t have any impact on parents who can afford to educate their children privately, and still refuse to vaccinate their children. It would only affect parents who cannot afford to educate their children privately, and it’s been demonstrated time and time again that it is the children of parents who are living in socioeconomic deprivation who are the most in need of education. It wouldn’t be any skin off a parents nose who doesn’t value education, but that particular ethnic minority aren’t generally averse to vaccination anyway, so in effect all you would really be doing is encouraging Government to waste taxpayers money on an ineffective policy.

If you imagine people haven’t done the math on this long before you ever thought of it, you’d be wrong. Most politicians don’t want to touch the vaccination issue with yours.

they are enrolled in a public school,
    :confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

What’s the confusion about? You put it to me that my child was never enrolled in a crèche or school, and I said that they were never enrolled in a crèche, but they are enrolled in a public school. I’m assuming you’re suggesting that your policy would only be able to be implemented in schools which receive funding from the State, which would be no barrier to anyone who could afford to educate their children privately. Your short-sighted policy would simply be a waste of public funds -

So, why is there a trend towards mandates and other legal instruments? Political science research on the value of international sanctions against rogue nations has found that while they are often ineffective, sanctions may give some satisfaction to the government implementing the rules. The same may apply to vaccine mandates. ‘Sanctions are often more about the sender than the recipient,’ says Dr Katie Attwell, University of Western Australia, ‘Maybe it’s more of an emotional experience for those who want to punish a country – or, in in the case of vaccinations, a citizen – that deviates from the norm.’

The impact of mandates in European countries has been assessed by the EU-funded ASSET project which found no clear link between vaccine uptake and mandatory vaccination. The report, which has been cited by the European Commission in response to questions from Members of the European Parliament states: ‘The enforcement of mandatory vaccinations does not appear to be relevant in determining childhood immunisation rate in the analysed countries. Those [countries] where a vaccination is mandatory do not usually reach better coverage than neighbour or similar countries where there is no legal obligation.’

ASSET experts have also argued that while mandatory vaccination might fix a short-term problem, it is not a long-term solution. Better organisation of health systems and strong communication strategies may prove more effective. ‘Mandatory vaccinations for both healthcare workers and the public can obtain a rapid improvement in immunisation rates, but in the end, have high costs, especially in term of litigation,’ says Dr Darina O’Flanagan, previous Director of Health Protection Surveillance Centre Ireland and a member of the Advisory Forum of the European Centre for Disease Control 2005-2016.

This is echoed by the EU Commissioner with responsibility for health, Dr Vytenis Andriukaitis ‘The legitimate goal of achieving the highest possible immunisation rates can be attained through less stringent policies, and most Member States prefer the adoption of ‘recommendation policies’ or else a mix of obligation/recommendation policies,’ according to EU Commissioner.

Source: Mandatory Vaccination: Does it work in Europe?

lol

What’s ‘lol’ about, what were you expecting exactly? They’re experts on the efficacy of mandatory vaccination programmes and because they don’t share your opinion, the best you can do is ‘lol’?

I wish I could say it’s been interesting, but I’d be lying. I’ll unsubscribe from the thread now and let you get back to the usual impotent rabble rousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You better hope they don't need hospitalization or a transplant during their lives.
    I'm sure your Alaskan wilderness approach to society will be comforting for them as your shamen starts the blood letting ceremony.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You better hope they don't need hospitalization or a transplant during their lives.
    I'm sure your Alaskan wilderness approach to society will be comforting for them as your shamen starts the blood letting ceremony.

I think that’s fairly standard hope that any parent would have for their children. It doesn’t mean I’m going to base my child’s life around the idea that something is an inevitability when I know it’s more unlikely than it is likely they would ever need an organ transplant for example. Even if I didn’t already have private health insurance, the cost would be borne by the State, and as a taxpayer I really don’t have any issue with the fact that approximately one third of the population have medical cards?

Ireland has a 2-tiered healthcare system. All residents are entitled to receive healthcare through the public healthcare system, which is funded by general taxation and organized by the Health Service Executive. Transplantation is performed under the umbrella of the public health system. Approximately one third of Irish residents additionally hold a medical card—which entitles them to free hospital care, general practitioner visits and prescription drugs for a minimal fee—based on low income or long-term or severe illnesses. Essentially all transplant recipients qualify for medical card coverage.

Source: Transplantation in Ireland

I might have had cause for concern regarding organ transplant outcomes 30 years ago, but having seen what is achievable today, I don’t have the same concerns. In the same way, I think that vaccination programmes will have to change to accommodate the fact that we aren’t living the same lifestyles according to the same standards when vaccinations were the breakthrough in tackling infectious diseases, which today are no longer the threat they once were, thanks of course to the success of vaccination programmes.

Now we have to look at new ways of preventing diseases which aren’t dependent upon altruism or conformity in an increasingly selfish and individualistic society, as herd immunity came about at a time when individual rights and freedoms weren’t really a thing. Appealing to people’s better nature doesn’t really work either, nor does condemnation, and the figures with regard to certain vaccines at least speak for themselves - the percentage of people availing of vaccines just isn’t high enough to provide effective herd immunity any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I’ll make you a deal?

I’ll worry about my children, and you worry about your shìtty attitude rubbing off on your own children.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Think they are right to be more concerned about what diseases your own shítty spawn has that could infect their child. Your negligence/under education affects them.
    Mod note: One eyed Jack, pjohnson, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think that’s fairly standard hope that any parent would have for their children. It doesn’t mean I’m going to base my child’s life around the idea that something is an inevitability when I know it’s more unlikely than it is likely they would ever need an organ transplant for example.
    chances of needing an organ vs chances of negative reaction to a vaccine?
    I might have had cause for concern regarding organ transplant outcomes 30 years ago, but having seen what is achievable today, I don’t have the same concerns. In the same way, I think that vaccination programmes will have to change to accommodate the fact that we aren’t living the same lifestyles according to the same standards when vaccinations were the breakthrough in tackling infectious diseases, which today are no longer the threat they once were, thanks of course to the success of vaccination programmes.

Ah so you won't vaccinate because we don't have to worry about diseases thanks to vaccination?
    Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

An 18 year old in the US gets himself vaccinated against his anti-vax crank parents wishes. Mom makes it all about her - 'it's like a slap in the face!'

Well, better, Mom, that you got slapped in the face than your son got the mumps at age 18.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ethan-lindenberger-vaccination-parents-controversy-measles-antivaccination-andrew-wakefield-a8774656.html

Unfortunately there's some wasted column space talking to fraudster Wakefield who played the poor me card yet again. No responsibility at all for what he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Igotadose wrote: »
    An 18 year old in the US gets himself vaccinated against his anti-vax crank parents wishes. Mom makes it all about her - 'it's like a slap in the face!'

Well, better, Mom, that you got slapped in the face than your son got the mumps at age 18.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ethan-lindenberger-vaccination-parents-controversy-measles-antivaccination-andrew-wakefield-a8774656.html

Unfortunately there's some wasted column space talking to fraudster Wakefield who played the poor me card yet again. No responsibility at all for what he's done.

Have to admire him for making the correct decision despite having to listen to his anti-vax parents for 18 years!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Have to admire him for making the correct decision despite having to listen to his anti-vax parents for 18 years!

So we now live in a world where rebellious teenagers are sneaking out to get vaccinated.

Interesting times indeed...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don’t worry about my child being infected in the first place with HPV, let alone do I worry about the idea that they would spread the disease to any of their future sexual partners.

[edit] missed the mod threadban for this poster. Removing my post as he's no right to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is bad enough a parent putting their child in danger by not vaccinating against disease that can kill or have really bad effects, but it is bordering on a crime if you don't vaccinate a child and they spread a preventable disease and it kills someone.
    Not getting vaccinated is just so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

WA State moving along to ban vaccine exemptions for 'personal reasons.' All good.

https://gizmodo.com/washington-lawmakers-advance-bill-to-ban-vaccine-exempt-1832676994

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

More than 900 dead in Madagascar measles epidemic

https://www.smh.com.au/world/africa/more-than-900-dead-in-madagascar-measles-epidemic-20190216-p50y96.html

Since the beginning of the outbreak in September, more than 66,000 people in the African island nation have been infected with the highly contagious virus, the WHO said.

Hope Australia limits entry or re-entry to those who have proof of vaccination.

I got a question for you anti vaxxers, Do you still believe the earth is flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

old_aussie wrote: »
    More than 900 dead in Madagascar measles epidemic

https://www.smh.com.au/world/africa/more-than-900-dead-in-madagascar-measles-epidemic-20190216-p50y96.html

Since the beginning of the outbreak in September, more than 66,000 people in the African island nation have been infected with the highly contagious virus, the WHO said.

Hope Australia limits entry or re-entry to those who have proof of vaccination.

Is that really anti-vax in the sense we are meaning it here or just not vaccinating their kids because they are dirt poor?

Is that really anti-vax in the sense we are meaning it here or just not vaccinating their kids because they are dirt poor?

Probably because they are uneducated and dirt poor,

Just pointing out how quickly an epidemic can spread and take lives.

"Measles is easily preventable through vaccination. The WHO has launched a campaign in collaboration with local authorities to vaccinate more than 6 million children in Madagascar.
    The campaign also includes efforts to educate the population and counter negative perceptions about vaccinations."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

old_aussie wrote: »
    Probably because they are uneducated and dirt poor,

Just pointing out how quickly an epidemic can spread and take lives.

"Measles is easily preventable through vaccination. The WHO has launched a campaign in collaboration with local authorities to vaccinate more than 6 million children in Madagascar.
    The campaign also includes efforts to educate the population and counter negative perceptions about vaccinations."

Fair enough, i just think we should make that distinction. I have sympathy for the people caught up in the situation in madagascar. I have none for those who could vaccinate their kids but refuse to.

Philippines says 136 people have died in measles outbreak

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/philippines-says-136-people-have-died-in-measles-outbreak/news-story/19966c9474a422049d121d7ec7afdb1b

Fear over vaccinations has contributed to a spike in Philippines measles cases, with more than 130 people dead — mostly children — and more than 8,000 sick.

Notice that it's mainly innocent children dying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And, unfortunately, it's not just the ones dying; there are hundreds of others left permanently disabled by this disease.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement