Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 7 Episode 7 "The Dragon and the Wolf"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

seamus wrote: »
    It's a bit of a nod to the books, and a passing remark that was made in the show when Tyrion and Jorah were captured. There's a superstition in the GoT universe that a dwarf's cock has magical powers. Probably much like rhino horn is sold as an aphrodisiac.

Yes, I know. Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sleepy wrote: »
    What upsets me most is that what's being left out isn't the stuff that can be justified as being necessary due to budget constraints. I was fine with Drogo's Khalazar looking far too small in Season 1 (and to be fair, they used some clever filming tricks to try and hide the fact they were using 20 or 30 horses to represent a horde of 10,000 like just showing the lead riders crossing a hill with a big dust cloud behind them etc.)

The series is being rushed to completion for the sake of rushing it to completion. The scenes we're missing out on are ones where most of the costs have already been incurred: the actors have already been paid, the sets have already been created, the costumes have already been stitched. It's literally a matter of writing a few more pages of dialogue and paying the filming crew (which have already been assembled) for a few additional days work.

And paying the actors... who get paid millions per episode. Although I do wonder how it works if they had actors show up more per episode but in less episodes. E.g. extend the season to 10 episode and if Tyrion is in 5 episodes of the current 7, then still only have him in 5 episodes but have him get more screen time. He'd still get the same pay (he's doing the same amount of episodes) but he'd be getting more screen time. It'd probably be difficult now seeing as more of the stories are linking together and more of the main actors are in every or pretty much every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And paying the actors... who get paid millions per episode. Although I do wonder how it works if they had actors show up more per episode but in less episodes. E.g. extend the season to 10 episode and if Tyrion is in 5 episodes of the current 7, then still only have him in 5 episodes but have him get more screen time. He'd still get the same pay (he's doing the same amount of episodes) but he'd be getting more screen time. It'd probably be difficult now seeing as more of the stories are linking together and more of the main actors are in every or pretty much every episode.

AFAIK the main cast get paid a fee per episode regardless of how much screen time, because it keeps them contractually obliged to be available for filming at any time during the scheduled filming windows, and also means that there's no danger of pay disputes over filmed scenes not aired, scenes that need 50 takes compared to scenes that only need 10, etc.

(for reference - Screen Actors Guild minimum rates are based on per episode rates for any main cast or "major" roles) https://www.sagaftra.org/files/rate_sheet_television_sag_aftra_8_16.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

And paying the actors... who get paid millions per episode. Although I do wonder how it works if they had actors show up more per episode but in less episodes.

stannis-meme.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yes, I know. Thanks.

I wasn't picking up on it as a reference to a dwarf's magic cocks, but rather a reference to Pod's magic cock after his trip to the brothel when he comes back with the bag of gold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Has Sansa not incriminated herself too by being accessory to killing that woman from the Vale? She lied on Little Finger's
    She did lie, but I'm sure they presume she was being manipulated by Littlefinger, and after all she went through afterwards at his hands, I can't see them challenging her over it, especially not now that she's the Lady of Winterfell.

Besides, that sort of thing is going to seem like small potatoes now that the Wall has fallen.

I wasn't picking up on it as a reference to a dwarf's magic cocks, but rather a reference to Pod's magic cock after his trip to the brothel when he comes back with the bag of gold

I wasn't actually asking about the magic cock reference in the episode at all. It was a joke answer to the post before mine, but apparently one only I thought was funny/obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Vojera wrote: »
    She did lie, but I'm sure they presume she was being manipulated by Littlefinger, and after all she went through afterwards at his hands, I can't see them challenging her over it, especially not now that she's the Lady of Winterfell.

Besides, that sort of thing is going to seem like small potatoes now that the Wall has fallen.

I'd hazard a guess that she told Lord Royce about it before Littlefinger's trial, hence why he was there. Admitted she lied and why. I think Royce himself knows what Littlefinger was capable of too, so accepted what Sansa said and knew Littlefinger was the one to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

DeadHand wrote: »
    It has never been hinted that Tyrion is in love with Dany- you may be thinking of Jorah.

Oh I know Jorah has the serious hots for her, but Tyrion has also been giving her longing looks.

Luckily for me, our good friend LO found the reference I was thinking of - Thanks LO :D

I was watching a Youtube video yesterday where it was mentioned at one of those cast panels events, probably a comicon or similar, that Dinklage mentioned Tyrion was in love with Dany, but as you pointed out it didn't seem too apparent from the shows.

IMO it would have been better if, in the scene when they were discussing how she would arrive at Winterfell, it was Tyrion who was suggesting she should arrive on Drogon as it may not be safe to travel via road, rather than Jorah, if it was set out like that the final scene would have made more sense as he could have been jealous of Jon getting more influence with Dany as she sided with his point of view in the earlier discussion, bedding her would cement his influence over her.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I was watching a Youtube video yesterday where it was mentioned at one of those cast panels events, probably a comicon or similar, that Dinklage mentioned Tyrion was in love with Dany, but as you pointed out it didn't seem too apparent from the shows.
    If that's the direction he's being given, the writers / directors / producers have done a piss-poor job of allowing him the screen-time for that to be established.

Which is exactly the type of thing I was just ranting about above.... Gah! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sleepy wrote:
    If that's the direction he's being given, the writers / directors / producers have done a piss-poor job of allowing him the screen-time for that to be established.

If that's the direction it's going then it's poor full stop.

Hard to see what about Dany is attractive to Tyrions character.

You could understand him falling in love with Shea. Him falling for Danaraeys sounds too much like everyone wants to date the prom queen like something from an American teenage romcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Vojera wrote: »

Can you remind me - what did Sansa lie about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Can you remind me - what did Sansa lie about?

Did she not corroborate Littlefinger's story that Lysa Arryn jumped from the moon door, when she actually saw him push her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

If that's the direction it's going then it's poor full stop.

You could understand him falling in love with Shea. Him falling for Danaraeys sounds too much like everyone wants to date the prom queen like something from an American teenage romcom.

She's a woman. Her and Missandei are the only women he's seen in about a year or so. The poor dwarf probably fancies Varys at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mousewar wrote:
    She's a woman. Her and Missandei are the only women he's seen in about a year or so. The poor dwarf probably fancies Varys at this stage

Agree, but hopefully it won't become a significant storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nothing hard about the scenario IMO. Well maybe one thing...:P

All joking aside, it's surely a rare experience for a beautiful highborn woman to treat Tyrion with anything other than disdain, pity, contempt, morbid curiosity etc. Now, I'm not saying he loves her, but for her to actually respect him enough to name him her Hand has doubtless coloured his view of her.

My impression of Tyrion's stare at Dany's door was that he was worried about her being distracted by love during a time when they all need their wits about them. I didn't pick up even a hint that he has feelings for her.

I suppose; he already got her to ditch Daario for the good of her campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If your into pop vinyls

I suppose; he already got her to ditch Daario for the good of her campaign.

It will be interesting to see how he acts in the next season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

My impression of Tyrion's stare at Dany's door was that he was worried about her being distracted by love during a time when they all need their wits about them. I didn't pick up even a hint that he has feelings for her.
    That was how I read that scene too. My thoughts were that Tyrion knows that between the wars with the Night King and Cersei, not all of them will be getting out of those battles alive. A relationship could end tragically and derail the entire project.

If, and this is a big if, Tyrion has made some secret pact with Cersei, then possibly he is in it for the doublecross too. He berated Jon for not being able to lie, well maybe Tyrion takes his own advice and has no problem spoofing his sister for the greater good.

It would make no sense for him to change sides. I sure hope that wasn't what was being hinted at anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sleepy wrote: »

The series is being rushed to completion for the sake of rushing it to completion. The scenes we're missing out on are ones where most of the costs have already been incurred: the actors have already been paid, the sets have already been created, the costumes have already been stitched. It's literally a matter of writing a few more pages of dialogue and paying the filming crew (which have already been assembled) for a few additional days work.

Ever since I heard a few years ago that Weiss and Benioff were planning to produce a new series Confederate directly after GOT ,its been apparent that they want to get the show finished up as soon as possible and get onto Confederate.
    The original plan was for 10 Seasons to do the books justice.
    Even up to about Season 5 ,10 Seasons was still the benchmark .
    However somewhere along the line this was truncated to 8 Seasons of which Season 7 and 8 would be shorter seasons than previous ones.

Obviously Martin hasn't released a new book so the lack of extra material was a factor in shortening the series.
    There could be issues with retaining key cast members for longer than 8 Seasons ,they might want to move onto other things .
    Of course in Game of Thrones no character is indisposable ,well that used to be the case up until this series where some characters have becoming immortal.

Budgetary costs are also a factor ,for example the battle on the Frozen lake in episode 6 took 5 weeks to shoot .
    But as you correctly said ,the scenes cut from this season have mostly been dialogue driven ,low budget scenes that can easily and quickly be shot as there are 2 shooting crews at all times for GOT.
    The producers might have also wanted to keep things simple but whatever way you look at way the decision to shorten the season to 7 episodes has been a very poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Look what happened with Shae when Tyrion fell in love with her. Tyrion let his guard down big time with Shae and she stabbed him in the back in more ways than one. He probably knows that if you're going into battle love doesn't come into it. It's survival. I doubt he's ever going to be on Cersei's side ever again. She has treated him badly and on numerous occasions tried to have him killed. He can't forgive or forget that hopefully.

The actor who plays Bran revealed that an important scene was cut in the season finale
    It’s clear after Sansa turns the tables on Littlefinger that she has had some sort of conversation with Bran, but we don’t get to see it. When did it take place?
    We actually did a scene that clearly got cut, a short scene with Sansa where she knocks on Bran’s door and says, “I need your help,” or something along those lines. So basically, as far as I know, the story was that it suddenly occurred to Sansa that she had a huge CCTV department at her discretion and it might be a good idea to check with him first before she guts her own sister. So she goes to Bran, and Bran tells her everything she needs to know, and she’s like, “Oh, s—.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bit of a shame to cut that a few episodes after (if I recall) she was being told to use everything at her disposal, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm glad it was. I know the actor isn't explaining the scene fully but "I need your help" sounds a little clunky.

Sometimes less is more.

Jamie is only gone a few days and Cersei has already conjured herself a new fella.
    Who knew she was a master of the black arts and was such a chav !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Why is everyone going on about the budget? and how many episodes etc.. I do agree there should be 10 episodes in series 7 & 8 but this is G.O.T it's the most successful show ever earning millions, probably billions. I doubt they reduced it because of budget sure the longer it goes on the better!

Or else what's the point of producing it in the first place! A good example was Lost. It was so successful that they kept dragging it out & out till everyone eventually was lost!! but you get my point..

Advertisement