Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parent not paying tax so cannot receive grant, please help.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gizmo81 wrote:
    The OP has done nothing wrong. He is a child of the state and entitled to support just like any other.

That's not the point, which is that the household income has to be explained. Susi share information with the revenue so it will come up on the system.

Just file 2016, its self assessment so the accountant will file whatever she tells him/her. More than likely they won't go back any further than last year. Don't have the figs here but will have about 18k tax free but will get caught for prsi and usc but as always lower is better.

This gets over the hurdle. Everything what can be sorted out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I'm saying if your mother registers as self employed and does her tax return for 2016, revenue may or may not go back to previous years, if her turnover is small and tax is negligible then they may not bother seeking any more info. The main thing is, get accountant, get registered, gather all documents relative to 2016, all income in and all related expenses including electricity, phone, car expenses relating to business i.e. car fuel costs, car maintenance, heating fuel for business, insurance costs, any stationery expenses, machinery/equipment purchased etc. and submit all as soon as possible, it should only take a matter of weeks to sort this once registered and returns filed.

Also note, any medical expenses not covered by health insurance can also be submitted e.g. doctors receipts, prescription, consultants, orthodontic treatment etc.copies can be got if ye haven't retained these, also note, you need to keep all records for 6 years after filing for audit purposes but don't concern yourself with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

That's not the point, which is that the household income has to be explained. Susi share information with the revenue so it will come up on the system.

This gets over the hurdle. Everything what can be sorted out later.

I'm not saying it doesn't need to be explored it's just not fair to say that the OP has 'a cheek' for looking for a grant because of his mothers transgressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

"My Mam raised 5 of us on her own and did it by trying to run her own business rather than claiming the scratcher.
    But this is selfish because now I have to actually pay my own way in college."

"Shocking. Clearly the right thing to do is to shop your own mother to the taxman"

I reckon this thread has reached Peak Boards

Yep. I hope she does. I've thought about reporting her allot since I found out.

Have been reading back through the comments, it's not necessary to do this and will achieve nothing, follow the advice given here by the more helpful board members and ignore the remainder especially ones agreeing with your above comment. Your mother seems to have achieved a lot in her own life so I wouldn't be too hard on her, try to help her gather the info she needs for accountant and hope for the best. If you feel you won't be able to afford college this year, you can always defer your course till next year, some colleges allow this if you contact them. They will hold your place till next year and you could work for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Here, your mother is putting food on the table for a family of 5 plus herself without handouts from the state.

Not paying your taxes is a defacto handout from the State. And also fraud.

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    Not paying your taxes is a defacto handout from the State. And also fraud.

I don't think the OP wants or needs a lecture on defrauding the State. He is not evading taxes. He has posted here for suggestions as to how best deal with this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Imstucklads

august12 wrote: »
    Have been reading back through the comments, it's not necessary to do this and will achieve nothing, follow the advice given here by the more helpful board members and ignore the remainder especially ones agreeing with your above comment. Your mother seems to have achieved a lot in her own life so I wouldn't be too hard on her, try to help her gather the info she needs for accountant and hope for the best. If you feel you won't be able to afford college this year, you can always defer your course till next year, some colleges allow this if you contact them. They will hold your place till next year and you could work for the year.

I've only thought about it in anger. I'd never actually do it. It's an incredibly frustrating situation for me, allot of options have crossed my mind. I'm trying to think of any and all solutions and possible outcomes.
    She has done her best to take care of us all on her own and I respect her so much for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I've only thought about it in anger. I'd never actually do it. It's an incredibly frustrating situation for me, allot of options have crossed my mind. I'm trying to think of any and all solutions and possible outcomes.
    She has done her best to take care of us all on her own and I respect her so much for that.

From what you said in an earlier reply, it appears that she may well not be making enough to be liable to pay much tax, if any. She badly needs to be helped/encouraged to come to the only intelligent decision that will get her out of her mess.

Have you talked to SUSI on their helpline? If not, why not give them a blast - they lean over backwards to help applicants and you've got nothing to lose.

Advertisement