Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Burnout Paradise did the same thing, along with flashing street signs to highlight the optimal route. Granted, you didn't have the time to read either of them without then immediately rear-ending the car in front.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Burnout Paradise has a clever and still distinct take on open-world racing, only tempered by the fact its approach means you will miss the optimal turn-off 75% of the time and spend the remainder of the race failing to find an efficient alternate route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I was just about to say this. Also wasn't health regen a cheat, you had to lean against a wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It wasn't a cheat just wasnt explained in game. It wasnt in the tutorial so people that didn't or couldn't read it thought the game was too hard or broken.

There's a lot of nostalgia for it but it's was a really poor GTA clone to me and reviewed poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

I remember Scarface and you went to a blood donor van to regen health.

• Advertisement

I should still have a copy in the house somewhere. It's one of my favourite PS2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Having a taunt button where you could curse at your enemies mid rampage was just glorious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yes! Can't wait! I absolutely adored the first one and the pawn system , the pawns were so funny, going around breaking everything 🤣🤣 I remember the pawn I made was giant like and had a high pitched voice 🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Play the first one , you won't regret it , one of the great games a lot of people glossed over because of Skyrim, its a million times better than Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Capcom are on a roll. Pity this game is 30 FPS on console. If it's a great game I can wait for a patch or a better machine to run it on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A locked 30 FPS is one thing if it hits that target with proper frame-pacing, but general impressions seem to be that Capcom's made the unwise decision to go unlocked so frame rate is all over the gaff. As much as I don't like to be a tech purist, that's the kind of uneven experience that makes a game feel much worse than it needs to.

Hoping the PC version at least can manage a solid 60 FPS on a reasonably specced machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I adored Scarface. Usually IP tie-ins are half-arsed and no good but Scarface was loads of fun. Decent "alternate universe" story, class soundtrack, fun gameplay. And after looking at a video, it was one of the games who did proper driving directions too!

When you were driving to a destination it flashed a little left or right arrow before turns.

Just watching that brings back memories. It was as great game but I forget most of it as I played it a long time ago. On the original Xbox if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Started playing Jedi Survivor and it looks and plays great. Assumed it was the patched version. Then it tells me I need to do a update ( ~100 GB) to continue after the first part. So it was the un-patched version. I'd be crap doing the digital foundry job. 😁

Played a Forza game for the first time ever today, Forza Motorsport. That's a fun enjoyable experience.

The Horizon games are fun even the older ones. Well to be more precise even the older non Horizon ones are decent as well but probably not as eye candy as that newest one you played.

New laptop came with 3 months of GPU so said I'd dust off the auld Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So Luigi's Mansion 3 sales figures have been revised and it's kind of insane how much it sold. To put it into context, it's sold more copies than any of the resident evil games making it the premier survival horror game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. Forgot I had that: good game but the core gameplay loop got a bit repetitive and dropped it by inertia; and Mario games of late frustrate with how many cut scenes and paused it forces.

Mad sales figures though. The market never punished Nintendo for its strategy, no matter how much we grumble about it, that's for sure.

Yeah plenty to like about Luigi’s Mansion 3, but I got really frustrated by it around 2/3rds of the way through (going by floor count) and never finished it. It’s been a little while but I think it just kept stalling progress with annoying obstacles and filler.

• Advertisement

Yep I heard it kind of wastes your time at the end which is a shame. The first two games are brilliantly streamlined.

I think it's sold just shy of 19 million copies which is really nuts. My nephew is obsessed with it so it must have captured a zeitgeist with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Nintendo really shouldn't have listened to the feedback that the first was too short. A 6-7 hour game is 2014 and 2019 respectively is a much more palatable prospect for consumers than might have been the case in 2002. To their defense, 3 justifies its runtime a bit better than 2, but there was still a good bit of fat that could've been trimmed to streamline the experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good to know it wasn't just my thinning patience & attention span. Like you I just got to a certain floor and was like "but when does the game start?", and like I said there's something deeply irritating about Nintendo's use of cut scenes in games that really, really don't need 'em. Super Mario Wonder was the same: it's a fantastic game but JFC stop pausing the action so that stupid caterpillar can explain the obvious to me.

The outcry Miyamoto got for saying 6-8 hour games are the perfectly length was deeply frustrating and his two games at the time, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion, both got marked down for being too short. It's kind of become very obvious how right he was but there's still what seems to be a majority that equate long games as being better due to some sort of value proposition even if the majority of those hours played are empty calorie gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭McFly85

The last thing I want to hear in relation to a game is that it’s hundreds of hours long and sort of puts me off immediately. I remember when Dying Light 2 was about to be released there were promotions everywhere stating 500 hours of content which put me right off - I knew there and then I’d never finish it and I’d see a fraction of the stuff in-game, so why bother.

I might put in 100+ hours into a game but it’s rare enough.

I played I think the first Luigi's mansion on Gamecube. I remember I gave it a loan to my brothers friend and he pretty much gave it straight back and said it was sh*t. It was a short game but I liked it. Never played 3 even though I have a switch.

The first game is fantastic. Some people have no taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I remember a few years back, review sites and YouTubers were prone to giving a dollar per hour breakdown of a game, i.e. divide the described length of the game by the price and give an hourly value of the game in terms of money, madness.

I was listening to a discussion recently where it was suggested that the spiralling cost of creating high fidelity environments means developers justify that cost by filling them with ‘stuff’.

But that creates the feedback loop of increasing the development cost further, because ‘stuff’ isn’t free 😅 It also IMO has made games worse - struggle to think of many recent AAA games that don’t overstay their welcome.

The AAA mega game is increasingly unsustainable for all but a handful of blockbusters, so I definitely see a retreat to more AA titles. At least I hope so.

• Advertisement

System Shock remake is coming to consoles on 21 May. Wonderful game and I really enjoyed it other than the wonky ending but that's also getting totally reworked for this release. I'll definitely load up and older save and check out the new ending.

Advertisement