Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Red Devil 7900 XTX. I did have a reference 6900 XT but I sold it a month or so ago. I probably shouldn't have bought it as I'm currently looking to find a new place to rent but sure you only live once.

Well it doubles up as a blow heater so will probably save you a few bob on energy bills.

Currently playing Rayman Origins. I have actually started it a long time ago and played a level here and there but still managed to make it roughly half way through. I wasn't really feeling it so as I said I played a level or two every day but I am really starting to enjoy it now and played for about two hours this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Found another incredible playthrough of Outer Wilds. I think this is the only game where I've been so invested watching a playthrough of something I already played and get to experience one of gamings greatest endings through a new set of eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭recyclops

I had a load of MS points built up so picked it up free, tbh I was suprised at how well its been playing, puzzles are fun, combat so far has been good with a few little niggles on my side ( too many spells and space is limited).

I do tend to get tired and overwhelmed with copy and paste open worlds ( assassin creed oddyssey) but I think the wizarding world has enough little fun bits to keep me tipping over, will be interesting to see how it fars when I get to the 25+ hour mark.

Broom Travel actually makes it alot more fun similar to how web slinging in spiderman was alot more fun than horseback

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started up Deus Ex invisible war. Was a bit of an ordeal to get running and I'm only out of the tutorial level but I can really see already how so many PC gamers were so frustrated by it. It's so obviously dumbed down for console and the devs were obnoxious in saying it wasn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC it was also dumbed down to the point there was one ammo type too, right? Haven't played it since it was released many moons ago. Definitely a deeply inferior experience - though perhaps minus the Deus Ex moniker it might have had more favourable response? God looking at the cover and even that was so horrible, so generic.

Came out around the same time as Thief: Deadly Shadows - another game whose reputation was that of something dumbed-down - though arguably not to the sake extent (with some still iconic levels like Shalebridge Cradle)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy it, it's just not going to match Deus Ex. But then again we have had so many immersive sims and nothing has come close to that game. The universal ammo is baffling as well. It actually reviewed really well but there was a lot of fan backlash.

Funnily enough it was a toss up between this and Thief 3 for what to play next. I'll hopefully get around Thief 3 later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Don't forget Rayman Legends. One of my favourite games. Tried Origins but jumped off to something else. Must go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Has anyone here played the Hotline Miami games and are they worth playing?

• Advertisement

I have Legends ready to go. But tbh I think I will wait a while as there are a tonne of levels in Origins and I'm a bit worn out. The way I was playing it is probably the best way a level or two a day. Legends is probably the same though with a tonne of levels.

Yep, loved the first game.

Second game seemed fun but was more of the same but tougher so never managed to beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Legends is full hd, incredible sound track, some amazing music based levels, and I think, some origins levels remastered ... so it's best to go from origins to legends I think and not the other way.

I'm playing on my series X and do not find the graphics bad in Origins. I also have Rayman 3 HD but it is an Xbox 360 arcade game so 200 gamerscore points for playing the whole game which is a let down but that's how they done it back then. And the achievements are hard to get too. It's not a great game either even though they say HD in the title the graphics are sh*t. I started it years ago and got a decent way in and just stopped playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Movie coming on Apple TV in March about the invention of Tetris and how it came to be on the Gameboy.

The trailer looks like they might be playing fast and loose with reality, but am intrigued all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Roger Allam is unrecognisable as Maxwell there, who people forget played a huge role in the early years of the video game industry. Looking forward to this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks good actually.

As Mark Twain once said, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story", so I don't really care about the accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The rights issues that game had are pretty bonkers. There does seem to be some artistic licence for dramatic effect alright. But it's a great story all the same.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

The BBC has a really good documentary about it which is well worth looking up. Far less car chases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Treat it as a game in it's own right and try not to compare it to the first (a tough order, i know). a lot of consessions were made to squeeze it onto the original xbox, so the levels are much smaller with more loading screens, universal ammo and such. i think another reason was to get the graphics and really good light dynamics into the game. The themes that made Deus Ex are all still present, individualism vs the collective, overreach of government and big business, the illuminati pulling the strings. Give it a chance and you'll see that it's still very much Deus Ex.

It was an absoloute nightmare to get running on anything back in 2003/04, even now it still kills itself between levels and you have to hope it reloads.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's kind of annoying to get running. I've the visualiser mod installed.

Basically if I run the game Fullscreen it crashes on the load screen as some program is interfering. Can't get into task manager to check.

So what I have to do is have task manager running and boot the game up. It crashes so I sign out. Since task manager is running I get enough time to cancel the sign out. The next time I boot it it runs perfect.

It's a pain but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

Well at least you've got some solid PC gaming authenticity there to make up for the annoyance of the gameplay being made more accessible for console.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So just finished GOW Ragnarok the other day looking for something new.

Hogwarts is obviously getting a ton of attention and I'm very tempted by it.

Now I'm thinking should I get the Witcher 3 instead? I played it years ago but gave up cause didn't have time and felt it a bit frustrating combat wise.

There's a next gen update now though...

I also have the latest Horizon there which I need to finish but don't think I'm in the mood after coming from GOW.

What should I do!!?? Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

Haven’t played Hogwarts so can’t help you there but I guess if you were frustrated with the Witchers combat the first time around your mind won’t be changed now!

The next gen patch is mostly graphical and performance upgrades, it plays the same as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yeah I've seen that mentioned wasn't even thinking about going back to it but after seeing it on the store I came into my mind as a possibility. I think I'm gonna get Hogwarts it's bloody everywhere atm surely all the positive reviews can't just be Harry Potter fans wetting themselves!? Plus I have 25 euro store credit so I'd only be paying 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The easiest way I can describe HL so far is modern Bully set in the HP universe. It's a good game. It deserves the praise. Not finished it but so far it's very enjoyable. But I'm a HP fan so may be biased. I actually feel the Hogwarts parts are holding it back, that it would have been better served playing an adult instead of a student. Yet the Hogwarts parts are also good on their own.

No harm giving Witcher 3 a go, if you already own it the upgrade is free and you'll know soon enough if the combat will stop you. Just get past the opening area before quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Maybe after coming off a buster like God of War a tight 15 hours in the dead space remake would be enjoyable. That's the way I did it.

Now I'm stuck in your position where I don't know what to start.

Ace combat 7 is the only correct answer.

Tell Tale are doing an Expanse game. Enjoyed the books but I recently started the TV show and I am so confused I don't know if I jist.don't remember the details of the early books or if they're doing a different arc for the TV show. I'm guessing this game is going to confuse me even more, story line wise.

• Advertisement

IIRC without watching that trailer, it's a prequel centred around Drummer's life in the OPA before she became roped into the larger orbits of The Expanse's plot.

Advertisement