Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah so PlayStation gets the classic versions and that just recently got far cry 5 and dawn games so 6 is probably a good bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, looks like it's a curated list of games for PS, so that they don't get the latest releases basically!

Shíte, you could be waiting a while!

Just finished HiFi Rush, wow what a game. Finding it hard to choose a game to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I went back playing Tetris Effect: Connected again. An audible and visual treat. It's available with Game Pass, so anybody who is subscribed to that should give it a try.

Ooh Prey on Series X with fps boost is sweet. I also played Dishonoured which is very smooth on series x with fps boost.

Strangely, Dishonoured 2 didnt get fps boost and is janky af, so much so that I had to abandon it. And the lag on it on xcloud is ridiculous. It's normally bad on 30fps but seems especially bad on Dishonoured 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

14 years ago the gods of videogames gave me a reason to love videogames again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Moon Studios dev says if Ori was its "Mario," its next game is its "Zelda"

That's quite a statement. Hopefully it lives up to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It saying a lot while saying absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

HBO Mario Kart Trailer - SNL

I was skeptical as it's SNL, but it's both brilliant and funny. 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pretty sure it was a post from yourself that had me importing my copy at the time, was unlike any other action game back then, in a good way. Funny enough, I took the PS3 out of storage last week so my eldest could see what Demon Souls was like. He’s recently gotten into From games starting off with Sekiro, Elden Ring and now playing through Bloodborne - he loves them much to my surprise and delight. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I never played the original, but I loved the Demons Souls remake for PS5. I know people say it lost some things in terms of sound design, music, and graphics making it easier to see dangers ahead, in dark areas etc... But I really loved the game, and still rank it above Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

2009 also gave us Uncharted 2, MW2, Prototype, Killzone 2, Borderlands, Arkham Asylum and AC2. Far better games have released that year! :pac:

I remember the PS3 being a laughing stock of a console until 2009 when it started becoming a console worth owning.

It was the Eurogamer review that enticed me, review was in may of 2009 I think. It sounded like the most interesting game I ever heard of. Spent a month trying to get a copy and spent my last 80 euro of my PhD grant on it.

Well worth it!

Speaking of the PS3, I was doing a cleanout before Christmas and found my receipt for it. 630 jesusing euro. Thinking how i just threw that money around at that age and yeah, living at home, no rent/mortgage, no kids, no responsibilities, ah the good ol' ps3 days :D

As for Demon's's Soul's's, i loved it but found it incredibly hard. Couldn't get past the 3rd level of any world. I only 'figured' out Souls games on my 2nd playthrough of Dark Souls and I got to go back to Demons Souls for another go after Dark Souls 2 & 3, thinking i had it's number and it still kicked my arse. I loved it though, serious sense of accomplishment beating it. The Remake is definitely easier but an incredible remake of an incredible game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Never realised they were that dear. Is that some sort of higher price for being first or some such?

I just googled and found this:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No wonder the Xbox 360 sold many more in the early years until the PS3 came down in price as it was so much cheaper.

Most of it was down to the bluray player. They were shocking expensive too, so to have one incorporated into the PS3, plus how games could take advantage of it (such as LA Noire being on one bluray vs 3 disks on the 360), made the console expensive but also kind of decent value if you wanted a bluray player.

It was the right decision, but drove the price of the PS3 way up, and at a really bad time considering the recession was just around the corner. Sony really suffered at the start with the PS3. The 360 was also out for over a year and got a huge foot under the table, compared to the next two console gen launches which were both about 2 weeks from each other.

I also remember that the launch PS3 had 60gb storage, whereas the 360 only had 20gb, but also didn't have a built-in wi-fi adapter which had to be bought separately.

That said, Sony were probably very overconfident coming off the back of the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

When I got my Xbox 360S over 11 years ago, it was the 4GB model. Didn't take long to fill up so I used USB flash drives for storage before getting a 320GB hard drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While Demon’s Souls remake is a tad easier with the likes of more robust dodge rolling (but also a tad harder with things like the added weight to healing items) I think it’s easier these days as really it’s the easiest of the Soulsborne games. Now that its gameplay mechanics and movement are like second nature to most of us, there are fewer big difficulty spikes in that game than some of the others. Things like the nasty swamp level still are a bit of a pain, but nothing that quite compares to the stuff that’d follow in subsequent games.

That said, **** up badly and having world tendency change is still one of the nastier mechanics in any From game 😅

• Advertisement

That game, The Day Before, number 1 on Steam wishlist and was just delayed into end of the year is getting called a scam game. I remember seeing some footage and it looked incredible, a mix of The Division and The Last of Us but a recent gameplay trailer looked awful. Just saw this thread showing how the devs ripped off other games. It's crazy how similar some of these shots are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't know if it's a scam or a team massively under experienced, under resourced and way out of their depth.

I think most of it was down to hubris. Sony just off the back of the PS2 thought they could charge whatever. I mean Sony said get a second job if you can't afford it.

Thinking about it though the PS3 did offer a lot of featured the 360 didn't. The 360 base console it was being compared to didn't have a hard disk which became essential to the console and the wifi adapter they charge 80 euros for what was essentially a USB wifi dongle with a bit of drm on it.

It also took a long time for decent games to come to the platform and it didn't help that third party games performed and looked horrible on it for the first couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Yeah the original 360s not having WiFi and requiring that overpriced dongle was a load of bollix. I used to plug my launch one into my laptop with an ethernet cable and you could bridge connections in the network settings on the laptop to allow the Xbox to piggyback off the laptop's WiFi. Joys of being a broke student.

That was during the brief moments when it wasn't back in the Microsoft repair centre in Germany with RROD 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

All the same imagine being so bereft of an original idea you're like "feck it let's copy Snowrunner while we're at it".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭brady12

This Nintendo showcase is pathetic compared to other consoles . Only reason I haven't sold mine is to play tears of kingdom . The games are so meh it hurts .

Absolutely incredible Nintendo Direct there. So many games to look forward to and this only covers 6 months.

Highlights for me:

Pikmin 4

People laughed when I said Pikmin 3 is better than Last of Us and I'll stand by it. This looks more of the same but the core of these games is so good and they managed to perfect it with Pikmin 3

Fashion Dreamer

This looks like it could be the next entry in the Style Savvy/Style Boutique series. They look like girly games but they are actually really interesting management sims with some hilarious and brilliantly written dialogue

Ghost Trick

Great to see this game being available again. It was created by the Ace Attorney team and was one of the best DS puzzle games. Probably will be on other platforms

Deca Police

Looks interesting but it's a Level 5 game and well, they made the Ni No Kuni games which are utter shite. Might be good.

Bayonetta Origins

This looks like a really fun action puzzle game with some of the Astral Chain mechanics expanded upon. Looking really good.

Samba de Amigo

One of the all time great rhythm action games on the dreamcast. Had an outing on the Wii which was disappointing due to the imprecise motion controls. Hopefully the better sensors in the Switch controllers mean it's as good as that dreamcast classic

We Love Katamari

The original is one of the best games ever made and this sequel is even better. Should be on other consoles and you would be stupid to not pick it up.

Sea of Stars

Looks promising, again not a console exclusive

Etrian Odyssey Trilogy

Three of the best RPGs in the last 20 years. These games are seriously incredible. They take the dungeon crawling formula and by adding map mapping turn them into one of the best RPG experiences of all time. Incredible games with insanely good soundtracks. So glad to see these games again and I'll probably snap up EO3 as I've yet to finish that one.

Advance Wars 1 + 2

Finally getting a release after the delay last year. Not a whole lot to say but you are getting 2 over the best strategy games off all time in one package.

Kirby

This game was great fun on Wii. The metroidvania bonus game looks like a lot of fun. I'll be picking this up again just for it.

Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games

Decent selection of stone cold classics shown off and on the way.

Metroid Prime

This looked absolutely incredible. Metorid Prime is one of my all time favourite games and I'm so glad more people will get to experience an all time great.

Rain Code

Wouldn't ignore this one because of the anime aesthetics, it's from the team and writer of Dangan Ronpa. Should be another great mystery game as usual from this team. This looks to be not platform exclusive

Baten Kaitos 1+2

I've played the first game and it was very slow to start but a few hours in it comes together and has one of the all time best JRPG battle systems. I've not played origins but it's meant to be even better. The pre-rendered backgrounds in the original looked amazing but seem to be AI upscaled here which is a shame.

Layton

I can take or leave this series.

Zelda

Looks incredible. Getting major Majora's Mask vibes from this. I'm wondering now if this is going to take a massive gameplay departure from BotW like MM took from OoT

Frankly if you didn't see anything there to get excited about you either don't like videogames or need to check your pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Never got to play Metroid Prime the first time around so great that it’s out now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a bloody fantastic version of the game as well - I initially raised an eyebrow at €40 (given the still absurd value of the Wii 'trilogy' release) but upon seeing it in action it's a pretty major upgrade of the game that's a lot more in-depth than the 'remastered' branding would imply.

Advertisement