Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Bone marrow doner. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What's Mafia: Definitive Edition like? Offer anything different to other open world crime games?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Incredible experience. Don't think of it as an open world game though, more a linear Mafia story that happens to be in an open world. The story, characters, and levels/missions are all awesome with a brilliant ending. Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭brady12

10 hour trial wild hearts on Ea play pro . Jesus this game frame rate is cat , fair janky . Kinda into it but it's a repetitive monster hunter rise clone .

I'm never afraid to bash nintendo for churning out average nonsense and I consider selling my switch sometimes and I had dismissed metroid prime remastered hype as more nintendo fan boy nonsense but ya ... caved in and bought it 🤣looks great on my 48 inch Lg cx docked and plays so smoothly very impressed with it . never finished dread because found it so difficult but finding this easier .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

Finished Metroid Prime over the weekend, just a brilliant game. As someone who never played the original it holds up extremely well, allowing for the quality of life updates in the remastered version.

Even still, it’s definitely a 20 year old game. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a game low on health and nowhere near a save point desperately trying to find one!

Since I have the switch out, started Breath of the Wild again ahead of Tears of the Kingdom. I’ve just done the plateau, but it’s definitely giving me Elden Ring vibes of a world just begging to be explored. I still don’t like how quickly weapons break but what I’d really love is a quick drop option to chuck degraded weapons quickly instead of having to manage that through the inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is throwing them not sufficient? Granted, not an option with bows. I loved using up the last of a depleted weapon by milling them square into a lynel's forehead before promptly getting yeeted off the ground.

Yeah I’ll have to get it in my head to do that! It’s just generally after a battle where the weapon I have is almost broken my instinct is to look to drop it.

Generally the item management could do with an upgrade, be interesting to see what it’s like in Tears of the Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saying this as someone who has never played BOTW and is just wondering about the weapon degrade system; when a weapon breaks does it then automatically equip the next weapon in your inventory or is it a case of constantly having to then open some sort of menu or popup to equip another weapon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep just throw them at an enemy. The hit gives extra damage and no need to hold on to damaged weapons as there's no way to repair them. Use 'em and chuck them.

If anything I had issues with having too many weapons about 2/3 ofthe way through the game.

• Advertisement

No I don’t think so, but there is a quick menu for weapons where you can select the next one you want to use, and the game does pause while you select it.

Cheers. Just something I've always wondered based on how this discussion keeps popping up. I don't mind weapon deterioration/breaking etc, what's more important is how easy it is to change weapons if it's something that happens so often. Wasn't sure if it was automatically done, a case of pressing a button to switch to next weapon, or if it was done via a menu and how much that disturbs flow of gameplay. If it's menu but is done via quick menu during gameplay, that seems like it's probably fine. I'm guessing you're not going to be going through 4-5 weapons in most encounters anyway.

It’s also important to note that you can only hold 8 weapons at a time so you can’t just have an ever expanding inventory of backups.

Its just a habit I have to break I guess, it’s early on but I’m already saving what look like half decent weapons for tougher enemies along with a few emergency skeleton arms in case I end up with literally nothing to use!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that it's just that some people don't adjust their playstyle to suit the game. I struggled with it at the start, but once I realised that you get a near endless supply of weapons, I quickly got used to flinging my busted weapons at enemies. It's the same kind of behaviour you see with people finishing a game without using any high level potions, just in case they need them later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also worth noting that a big part of BotW is using the environment and your abilities to get a massive advantage over your enemies before fights begin. There are certainly many traditional encounters where you'll be using your standard swords and shields etc... but especially in the open-world, ideally you want to cause absolute chaos before you even head in to directly engage with enemies.

You can expand your inventory. There's a character you will meet that will upgrade inventory for korok seeds. It's worth looking out for the korok puzzles but I also wouldn't kill yourself trying to get them all, it's not worth it and inventory upgrades are quite reasonable.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

HL is good, but I think you need to be someone who enjoys Harry Potter to really enjoy the game. A lot of it is just about being able to explore places you've seen in the movies or read in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yeah, koroks are so bountiful so you're never stuck for an upgrade. The game legit makes fun of you if you are masochistic enough to sniff them all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I got it in the end have to say I'm really liking it so far looking forward to getting time over the weekend hopefully ha to play it again!

I seen all the films wouldn't be a fanatic or anything but I can see the detail put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Digital Foundry has their HL review up for console. PS5 seems much more stable frame rate wise than Xbox SX. But I imagine they'll patch that well before the last gen console versions come out.

• Advertisement

Metal gear rising revengeance is 10 years old it seems.

It's one of the absolute highlights of the ps360 gen, one of those games that just provides unbeaten minute to minute thrills with perfect play mechanics. If it wasn't for from software games it might be my favourite game from then.

Also best way to opening a videogame since Vagrant Story

Incredibly fun game and getting your slice just right never got old.

Final boss can get mega-f*cked though. What a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Whoop! Whoop! I got a nice 200 gamescore for popping an achievement in Formula Retro Racing. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus 200 GS for one achievement. And was it a difficult achievement?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Finally pulled the trigger and bought Kentucky Route Zero after eyeing it up for a long time. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Microsoft signs 10-year deal to bring future Xbox games including Call of Duty to Nintendo

Will they start on Switch, I have my doubts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great sale on Steam at the moment focused on detective / mystery games. Given this is the genre that's perhaps proven the most innovative in recent years, there are lots of fantastic games there. Obra Dinn, Case of the Golden Idol, Pentiment, Disco Elysium, Paradise Killer (which, just to reiterate, probably has the greatest original soundtrack of any game in the past 10 years), Norco, Edith Finch, Strange Horticulture, Immortality, The Forgotten City... certified bangers one and all. Plus a bunch of old Japanese visual novel reliables like the Ace Attorney games and Zero Escape series.

Just don't buy Heavy Rain. The only mystery there is why people can think it's good outside of unintentional comedy masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just saw Norco on psn store yesterday in the 'what's hot' section, first i had heard of it, with a look?

Advertisement