Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

In an attempt to get away from all that nonsense, here's the first part of a mini-series on stealth game mechanics from GMTK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Splinter Cell had to be some of the most satisfying gameplay you could get in that gen, it was just so slick. Needs a modern sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thargor wrote: »
    Splinter Cell had to be some of the most satisfying gameplay you could get in that gen, it was just so slick. Needs a modern sequel.

And they deliberately troll us with Sam Fisher guest-appearing in Ghost Recon :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Started playing Death Stranding. Seems weirdly on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    And they deliberately troll us with Sam Fisher guest-appearing in Ghost Recon :mad:

What about the terrible phone game with all the characters from Tom Clancy series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Blacklist is an under rated Splinter Cell game, worth a play tru in Coop.

Me playing it

NINJA-DOCUMENTARY-CORECODILE-1440x810.jpg

My Buddy

med_ce942e9f-de00-4680-9a1a-ed8041cabfce_CuisineRoyale_XBoxInsiderHub_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Blacklist is an under rated Splinter Cell game, worth a play tru in Coop.

Ooh you just reminded me. I have about half still left to play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I haven't played a Splinter Cell in years and year; what are the good ones? I had heard a few of the latter ones went all action'y and lost that stealth element.

Hmmm, been a while since I played Mark of the Ninja again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

pixelburp wrote: »
    God I haven't played a Splinter Cell in years and year; what are the good ones? I had heard a few of the latter ones went all action'y and lost that stealth element.

Hmmm, been a while since I played Mark of the Ninja again ...

I loved Conviction. The Deniable Ops mode was great fun. One of my most played games actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I can't wait for next gen. I'd say GTA VI will be one of the early titles that gen. Well I hope so anyway.

I can't wait for next gen. I'd say GTA VI will be one of the early titles that gen. Well I hope so anyway.

I thought Rockstar might do the same with 5 and release before next gen and after to get the double sales but i can't see them announcing 6 and releasing it within 8 months. If rumours are true, a remake of vice city like 5 was of vice city would be really cool. The 80's in glorious next gen should be pretty if not anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

GTA Online seems to have been a big money spender, with a lot of new content, features and modes added over time. Kind hard to see the immediate appeal of a GTA6 given #5 already offers so much. Obviously Rockstar can railroad customers - sorry, consumers - into updating but still. Plus, I wonder what effect Corona is going to have on the gaming industry; microtransactions might become tricky in a global economy with less disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought Rockstar might do the same with 5 and release before next gen and after to get the double sales but i can't see them announcing 6 and releasing it within 8 months. If rumours are true, a remake of vice city like 5 was of vice city would be really cool. The 80's in glorious next gen should be pretty if not anything else.

I can't see it. Next gen is later this year. And we haven't even seen any leaks of GTA VI. I could be wrong but don't game makers usually release trailers a fair bit in advance of release to gain hype.

I would not expect GTAVI to release until next-gen systems have a large install base.

They announce games years before release. Rumours seem to be picking up so they could certainly drop a trailer soon. Then you can add on 2 years til you play it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

pixelburp wrote: »
    Plus, I wonder what effect Corona is going to have on the gaming industry; microtransactions might become tricky in a global economy with less disposable income.

Depends, might increase.

People playing a f2p game or a game they've already purchased and using what money they have on small microtransactions vs the larger expense of buying a new game outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I did think they would pull a 5 and release on current then next gen, then pc. Would be interesting to see if VI is progression in story only and will integrate seamlessly into Online, or if it would be GTAO2. Interesting GTA times ahead.

But like others, just give me a modern remake of Vice City and I'll be happy! Or maybe, instead of having 3 main characters, you have 3 main decades. Start in the 80's, evolve to the 90's and then the 00's. The city/world/people/services would evolve along with you. Vice City in the 80's is the size of it was in the original game. By the time you get to 00's it has grown in size to something akin to Los Santos.

I did think they would pull a 5 and release on current then next gen, then pc. Would be interesting to see if VI is progression in story only and will integrate seamlessly into Online, or if it would be GTAO2. Interesting GTA times ahead.

But like others, just give me a modern remake of Vice City and I'll be happy!

Xbox and PS5 (probably) will be BC, so it's a different situation to GTA5 where even the ONE wasn't BC for a while.

It's a harder sell to have people buy another game when the copy they have already works on next gen. They'll probably push out the PC release again, but I don't think they'll try to sell another console copy to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If it's anything like 5 then all they need to do is release it at the beginning of next gen and not release another game the whole generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There hasn't been a new GTA game this gen.
    It's last gen's game with updated texture packs and a first person mode :)

• Advertisement

What does everyone think what with a global pandemic will game companies be more or less cringy with April fools

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wouldn't be surprised to see them mimic Google and decide to skip this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

marcbrophy wrote: »
    There hasn't been a new GTA game this gen.
    It's last gen's game with updated texture packs and a first person mode :)

I wouldn't say that's true. It's a game that really needed the Xbox One and PS4, it runs on PS3/360 but it was a much lesser game.

They had to release it on the previous gen because the install base was too big to ignore. Same reason they released a shoddy version of Black Ops 3 on PS3/360.

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's true. It's a game that really needed the Xbox One and PS4, it runs on PS3/360 but it was a much lesser game.

They had to release it on the previous gen because the install base was too big to ignore. Same reason they released a shoddy version of Black Ops 3 on PS3/360.

Ah okay, there was a little bit more polish than I alluded to :)
    But I will insist that there was no "new" GTA game this gen.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the remastered console versions and the PC version too but it's definitely time for a brand new GTA game!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just thinking, if Gamestop went under, would next gen sales be badly affected? Like how many planning on upgrading are planning on doing so through trade in deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was just thinking, if Gamestop went under, would next gen sales be badly affected? Like how many planning on upgrading are planning on doing so through trade in deals?

The global economy will effect their launches more than Gamestop will. They will give terrible upgrade deals as well, these are not mid gen upgrades now.
    I wouldn't lose sleep if they delayed them until next year.

Sell to CEX, buy off Smyths/Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

CEX are bigger scum bags. At least Game stop don't price gouge. I remember when there was a shortage of the PSVR you had dickheads buying them just to sell in CEX and they jacked up the price by over 100 euro above RRP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ff7 remake coming out. Half life alyx out.

Ive no threads to bump for April fool's day left

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ff7 remake coming out. Half life alyx out.

Ive no threads to bump for April fool's day left

I hear Half Life 3 is still coming...

Advertisement