Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Light Rail

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

rebel456 wrote: »
    At the moment it's another shiny new Celtic Tiger-esque grand idea that local politicians will peddle to the punters for years to come.

Not a Grand Idea to Plan properly for the future. Before It's Over Developed with Urban Sprawl like Dublin.
    Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Why is it that when we talk about public transport improvements, people immediately jump to light rail? Given the existing network, surely Limerick has good potential for heavy rail based commuter services. With relatively small investment, the existing heavy rail lines could provide a pretty decent network, serving numerous residential and commercial areas, as well as the city centre. There is also scope for further development around this. The main limiting factor is that all lines approach Colbert from the same side so through services can't operate.

The existing motorways around the city also lend themselves to feeding traffic to Park and Ride stations for onward travel into the city centre. There could be P&Rs around Cratloe, Annscotty and Patrickswell. I have said before that, as part of the M20 project, a rail link should be created along side the motorway from Charleville to Patrickswell.

I've already posted a link earlier about a mixed network. Commuter - Ennis to Limerick JC., Nenagh to Rathkeale and Light Rail from Shannon Airport to a new Heavy Rail Station at Annacotty Business Park, via UL Castletroy and Annacotty.

A Properly planned integrated network would be well used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Taytosnax

McAlban wrote: »
    Not a Grand Idea to Plan properly for the future. Before It's Over Developed with Urban Sprawl like Dublin.

I've already posted a link earlier about a mixed network. Commuter - Ennis to Limerick JC., Nenagh to Rathkeale and Light Rail from Shannon Airport to a new Heavy Rail Station at Annacotty Business Park, via UL Castletroy and Annacotty.

A Properly planned integrated network would be well used.

Good common sense stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

bk wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Harbour

Though I note that I said deepest, rather then largest.

There is a reason why the Titanic and other Atlantic bound cruise shapes used the harbour.

just noticed that link says cork can only handle cargo ships up to 90,000 dtw, where as Foynes can handle more than twice that. Shannon Airport and Foynes port are seriously under utilised national assets. Shannon air traffic peaked at 3.5 million and now sits at half that. I'm not interested in driving the Limerick vs Cork debate. its clear that investment in infrastructure is needed in both cities. limerick in particular needs a proper bus network, with actual bus and cycle lanes that go for more than 20 meter before finishing.

as far as light rail goes, id like to see a feasibility study done. the limerick junction line goes approx 3k out of colbert station where it is then approx 4k of greenfields to the university. directly across these greenfields is city east park(space for 4 thousand workers when finished) and a number of apartment complex and housing estates. I'm not saying this needs to be built now, but someone should at least mark this out on a map.

I think the only piece of new Railway Alignment in the Limerick City Development Plan is the restoration of the Carey's Road Bridge. Their Mapping leaves a bit to be desired (Kerry and Fingal for example have gone to ARCGIS which is great). The Foynes Line could provide a commuter service from Rathkeale, Askeaton and Adare, passing through Patrickswell and Raheen as well as freight if ever opened again. Also might get some of those tour busses clogging up Adare off the Road.

Anyway. See the Below post...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104109837&postcount=179

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I generally agree but my point was that it would be possible to do most of that by upgrading the existing heavy rail network. Light rail from Shannon Airport to Annacotty is about 30km but half of that is through open countryside with no viable stops and most of the remainder on already congested city streets. It would cost a few hundred million between land acquisition, infrastructure, rolling stock, etc. I just think you would get more bang for your buck if that money we invested in the existing rail network around the city.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I generally agree but my point was that it would be possible to do most of that by upgrading the existing heavy rail network. Light rail from Shannon Airport to Annacotty is about 30km but half of that is through open countryside with no viable stops and most of the remainder on already congested city streets. It would cost a few hundred million between land acquisition, infrastructure, rolling stock, etc. I just think you would get more bang for your buck if that money we invested in the existing rail network around the city.

Its Taking a Holistic Approach to the Network. Connecting Shannon Airport to Main Rail is the objective, and you cannot do that without running through countryside, Grade Separated empty countryside + No Stations = Speed. It also connects the Airport to Industrial and commercial centres such as Shannon, Castletroy and Annacotty Business Park. Plus UL LIT and Thomand Park. It would be heavily used and a success from Day One.

You are Right though The Heavy Rail Cross City Service from Nenagh to Rathkeale and Ennis to L Jc. Won't work unless line speeds are going to beat the congested traffic, so will need investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭pigtown

Its Taking a Holistic Approach to the Network. Connecting Shannon Airport to Main Rail is the objective, and you cannot do that without running through countryside, Grade Separated empty countryside + No Stations = Speed. It also connects the Airport to Industrial and commercial centres such as Shannon, Castletroy and Annacotty Business Park. Plus UL LIT and Thomand Park. It would be heavily used and a success from Day One.

You are Right though The Heavy Rail Cross City Service from Nenagh to Rathkeale and Ennis to L Jc. Won't work unless line speeds are going to beat the congested traffic, so will need investment.

I'm not convinced. A stop at an industrial estate will inevitably mean a 10 minute walk to the front door of the factory, which by itself is grand. But if you also have to factor in a 10-15 minute walk from your front door in a badly laid-out, pedestrian unfriendly housing estate or from your one-off house in the countryside then that creates a substantial disincentive for you to use the train.

Until we stop developing car orientated residential and commercial areas in the suburbs then light rail just will not be viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

I hear theres a centre offering day trips to the moon opening in the South of the City.
    This wont happen for 50 years lads. Forget it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

After what Trellheim Said: Over the weekend I thought a bit about this and decided to get the crayons out... Discuss...

422598.png

422599.png

This is a really good plan! I just mentioned on the M20 thread that if there was a dooradoyle stop, that I'd be leaving the car at home. The line goes behind the houses in Huntsfield, if there was a station near that bridge it would be perfect. Another one further up at ballycummin/back of industrial estate would be great.

• Advertisement

Bus fares in Galway, Cork and Limerick are to drop

http://connachttribune.ie/cheaper-bus-eireann-fares-for-oranmore-and-barna/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Really like this proposal, it shows the potential available and if you were to develop a commuter rail using the existing lines shown it wouldn't cost an extortionate amount to give the Limerick region a viable public transport network linking commuter towns such as Ennis and Nenagh to the city.

If park and rides were available and ticket pricing competitive this would probably appeal to a large amount of people and use would grow over time.

If the commuter rail was a success the proposed LRT line from the airport to Annacotty wouldn't be just a pipe dream but a possible infrastructure project linking the airport to the city and beyond.

Proposals like this should be coming from the Limerick Smarter Travel team and surveys carried out to see would it be used, not just being put on boards for debate! Fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 motleypotato

Mc Love wrote: »
    This is a really good plan! I just mentioned on the M20 thread that if there was a dooradoyle stop, that I'd be leaving the car at home. The line goes behind the houses in Huntsfield, if there was a station near that bridge it would be perfect. Another one further up at ballycummin/back of industrial estate would be great.

Really like this idea for Limerick. I think using the existing lines even without the LRT, there is huge potential in suburban rail in Limerick city. A bit of joined up thinking between Limerick Smarter travel, Limerick 2030 and the other regional development plans could really help. Even if it was years away, the right of ways need to be maintained, unfortunately from a recent survey done on google earth, it looks like the Rathkeele spur has houses built in the original route.

I may be biased but I'll always maintain that Limerick has amazing potential it just needs to be used and developed.

Advertisement