Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Duty Garda shoots man

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The way in which Gardare recruited, trained, monitored and disciplined.

Anything independant to back up that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The way in which Gardaí are recruited, trained, monitored and disciplined.

Were they trained to fabricate a million fake checkpoints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I wonder who Garda bashers hope will help them in a time of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

RustyNut wrote: »

In fairness that's not a great example. No mention of weapons being drawn or fired - if anything it just proves that even while drunk the officers carried their weapons responsibly and handed in the weapons before shift ended. (The whole getting drunk and disorderly thing notwithstanding of course)

I wonder who Garda bashers hope will help them in a time of need.

They're obliged to help everyone in the country. That's what they're paid to do. They can't elect to only deal with people who turn a blind eye to garda corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Your point being?

You brought the sole example up , how about giving us a few more examples to show us nothing has in fact changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You brought the sole example up , how about giving us a few more examples to show us nothing has in fact changed.

Why? is one example of armed gardai abandoning their post, drinking alcohol on duty and engaging in violent criminal behavior while carrying a state issued firearm not enough to show that they can not be trusted blindly as the poster I was replying to seemed to imply?

What evidence is there to show that anything has changed since the incident I linked to. Did AGS not accidently shoot someone in the face recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Why? is one example of armed gardai abandoning their post, drinking alcohol on duty and engaging in violent criminal behavior while carrying a state issued firearm not enough to show that they can not be trusted blindly as the poster I was replying to seemed to imply?

What evidence is there to show that anything has changed since the incident I linked to. Did AGS not accidently shoot someone in the face recently?

They sure did shoot someone accidentally in the face in a targeted operation against a criminal gang.I wasn't there myself but you know yourself in a high adrenaline moment tensions are running high and at the moment that's still being investigated.

Youre quoting examples one of which is with GSOC which in fact acknowledges that things do change but in reality there isn't a lot examples at all.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    They're obliged to help everyone in the country. That's what they're paid to do. They can't elect to only deal with people who turn a blind eye to garda corruption.

Read the question. Who would they want to help them? Gardaí would do their job. Don't doubt it for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Anything independant to back up that claim?

Plenty. Even more if you look at the changes since those two particular Gardaí would have been recruited and trained. I'll give you an example of two changes. I'll have a look for more later.

Training: Total revamp

Discipline: New Legislation

• Advertisement

Read the question. Who would they want to help them? Gardaí would do their job. Don't doubt it for a minute.

You don't think anyone should ever criticise gardai based on the fact they might require the services of the gardai. That won't lead to a very efficient police force will it when they can do whatever they want and as little as they want because they are immune to criticism.

In the real world everybody is subject to scrutiny and standards of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My only real impression of the Garda is doing jury duty and I'm surprised some of them still have jobs. The judge fell asleep a few times for the 2nd case so I'm surprised she still has a job too.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    You don't think anyone should ever criticise gardai based on the fact they might require the services of the gardai. That won't lead to a very efficient police force will it when they can do whatever they want and as little as they want because they are immune to criticism.

In the real world everybody is subject to scrutiny and standards of performance.

It's not that I don't think people should criticise gardaí but the amount of bashing of guards, teachers and medical profession that goes on in society gets tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Augme

It's not that I don't think people should criticise gardaí but the amount of bashing of guards, teachers and medical profession that goes on in society gets tiring.

If the Gardai didn't make a mess of things so often they'd probably wouldn't get bashed so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Much of the differing views in this regard boil down to whether a person views the guards as a collective, or individually.

Only viewing them as a collective makes no sense to me though.

Or at least if people could try to view them in both contexts.

Grossly unfair on one hardworking, decent guard to be deemed the same as a crooked one though. And lazy, uncritical thinking too.

I don't think Claire said nobody should ever criticise the guards either.

Advertisement