Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Duty Garda shoots man

Options

Comments

RasTa wrote: »
    What is he doing carrying a gun? .............

Don't some members of the force carry guns when off duty?
    Detectives etc are essentially never/rarely off duty to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Would it be linked to hotel robbery? Near enough and 3 lads involved both incidents. Off duty but ah gaurd 24/7 really

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, it doesn't say the off-duty Garda was the one who was carrying the gun, just that a man was shot in the shoulder during a struggle.

Anyway, yes, plenty of units do carry weapons while off-duty in some circumstances. Not all units start or end their shift in a Garda Station, so will have a weapon on them while coming or going from their home.

Eidt: I think the man above is on the ball. Most likely a direct link to the hotel robbery, which occurred around 1am on Earlsfort Tce, then just around the corner at 2am there's a struggle and a guy is shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Maybe I'm wrong so but I thought firearms would be stored in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Any excuse to attack the Gardai.

The OP doesn't have a clue what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The three lads are more than likely the reason certain Gardaí have to carry firearms off-duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why? Somewhere close to a third of em can carry a sidearm and a subset of them off duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why? Gardai are Gardai 24hrs a day and have their powers of arrest etc etc regardless of they're on or uff duty. Maybe he was on his way to work or on his way home?

Did you not consider the glaring fact that he tackled 3 people obviously committing some offence and it must have been serious enough for him to draw his gun? But no, sack the garda for having a gun is your first reaction.

I'm going to assume that in your little square world you wouldn't accept medical attention from an off duty doctor or nurse in an emergency but would rather insist on an on-duty doctor/nurse attend to your or your family's medical needs in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Walked past it all this morning. A lot of it blocked off around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could have been a detective, I think they carry guns.
    Or maybe that is just in the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Sure may as well remove him from the force anyway. Just to be safe like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Don't be ridiculous - you have no idea what happened here.

I would wager this man was not an innocent passer by and was himself armed in some way and threatened the Garda.

This lone Garda tackled three men - that kind of thing doesn't happen for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some units, for example, will start their shift at 6am outside some godforsaken place in ballygobackwards that might be 100km from home. These units have their weapons at home to avoid having to go to a station to get them.

In general if you hear a Garda is "attached" to Garda HQ then it means he's a special unit and rarely sets foot in HQ at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Has the OP considered that these lads might have deserved a bullet?

If a shot needed to be fire I don't mind whether he was on or off duty. In fact I'd be more impressed if he was off duty as he went above and beyond.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gardai have issues and if I was Taoiseach I would have drop kicked O'Sullivan out the door by now.

In fairness too it appears he gave 2 or 3 warnings as well.

So why aren't all our Garda armed judging by the responses. I thought only the armed support unit are allowed firearms and didn't think they could take them home. So if over a 3rd have them. Maybe we should arm them all when out on patrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

biko wrote: »
    Could have been a detective, I think they carry guns.
    Or maybe that just in the movies.

They used to, anyway. My uncle was a detective in the 70s and 80s and had a handgun in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

So why aren't all our Garda armed judging by the responses. I thought only the armed support unit are allowed firearms and didn't think they could take them home. So if over a 3rd have them. Maybe we should arm them all when out on patrol?

not all of them are trained to drive either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

We're living in the equivalent of America during Prohibition. Until drugs are decriminalised (not legalised, decriminalised, there's a difference), it's only going to get more violent and crime is only going to get more profitable, and police are going to get more distant from normal people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I'd be the first to be critical of the Gardai as the organisation is a joke shop at present but let's wait until the facts become clearer before stringing this lad up by the ankles shall we.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CitywestMan

The Garda hating snowflakes are out in full force.

That patch right there is pretty dodgy at night with no lights - residents heard the Garda shout warnings a few times before a shot was fired.

In all fairness - with the legal system being a joke, this might have been the only instance this year where justice was delivered.

Scrotes have no fear of the law and seems like they jumped on the wrong one this time - wouldn't be surprised if this is connected to the robbery at the Conrad hotel nearby.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have a problem with that to be honest considering the type of criminal they have to deal with nowadays and especially with the Hutch Kinahan feud in full swing.

Every other major police force in the world is armed so why not ours?

You thought, eh?

You didn't take time to think, you saw an opportunity to bash and had to get a thread started before any one else did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

The Garda hating snowflakes are out in full force.
    No they're not - most people are defending the guard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I wouldn't have a problem with that to be honest considering the type of criminal they have to deal with nowadays and especially with the Hutch Kinahan feud in full swing.

There was a time i wouldn't have agreed with this but now I do. Armed police are bloody intimidating. Also there should be a requirement to be at peak physical fitness, something many Guards are lacking.

I dont think we'd have the same issues with cops as they do in the states with all the trigger happy army veterans. A well built cop with a gun is a frightening sight.

You thought, eh?

You didn't take time to think, you saw an opportunity to bash and had to get a thread started before any one else did.

Did I? Ok then

The criminals might shoot back.

Interesting piece

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2353-i-was-cop-in-country-with-no-guns-6-startling-truths.html

Also
    The Garda Síochána will succeed, not by force of arms or numbers,
    but by their moral authority as servants of the people."
    Commissioner Michael Staines (1885-1955), First Commissioner of An Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I'm going to try very very hard here to get worked up about a criminal getting shot - but i don't think i will succeed.

The criminals might shoot back.

They'll shoot whether the police are armed or not.

The Gardai should be allowed protection.

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »
    I'm going to try very very hard here to get worked up about a criminal getting shot - but i don't think i will succeed.

Guilty till proved innocent, eh?

Advertisement