Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little moments that made you realise someone's no good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A former friend who was a compulsive spender persuaded a mutual friend to allow them to move into their house so they could save money. The mutual friend is one of the kindest people I know and wouldn't even charge them rent, even though they're not exactly loaded themselves.

Former friend continued to spend money like it was going out of fashion, and still didn't offer a cent in rent, but here's the real kicker. Eventually moved out leaving a load of their cr*p behind them. Put this stuff up for sale online (anyone for a fondue set?) and then told the mutual friend that random strangers would be calling round to look at the stuff and could they forward on any money made on the cr*p.

Was genuinely stunned when I heard the absolute cheek of them, my advice was to stick the lot in the bin and delete the number

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When somebody is disrespectful - without provocation - to others on the basis of standing or position, for example, being disrespectful or rude to service staff, elderly people, junior colleagues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

When confiding a worry is just an opportunity for someone to out-do your problem with a problem they had once. When it becomes obvious they're not telling you so you don't feel like the only one, they actually don't care that you're worried.

Also went above and beyond to help someone out intensively for months and as soon as she got back on her feet she didn't bother with me and even wrote a blog post of a twisted story about the way I did things, making out I was callous and thoughtless and couldn't wait to get her out of my hair, and not once mentioned a single thing I did to help. This was after '' I hope I can do the same for you someday, my friend!'' sycophantic gushing until she had made full use of me. Not a word from her or a ''do you need anything'' when I got seriously ill...except to tag me on her business venture's Kickstarter and ask me to share it.

And an acquaintance who verbally abuses politicians when they call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

A former colleague who was lovely to his team and anyone else he deemed to be on the same level as him but would be extremely rude to the staff in the canteen, cleaning staff, car park attendants, waiters, shop assistants etc. Clicking his fingers at them, barking instructions, creating unnecessary drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Candie wrote: »
    I regularly picked up a coffee for someone I used to work with if I was going out to get something for myself. I got him maybe ten coffees over a few months. He never offered to pay me for them, and I didn't expect him to.

The one and only time he asked me if I wanted something, he put it on the desk when he came in, took out the receipt to show me what I owed him and asked me to pay him immediately, which I did. It was a small chocolate bar, about a third of the price of one coffee.

I've been put off people before but that's the smallest thing I can think of.

What a dick, he should be in the **** thread.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 28 ShmuckRyan

Conor McGregor fans.

People who don't like cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Had a manager who used "retard" to describe most anyone who she did not like. I had a relative with an intellectual disability so that ragged me a lot. Also, she was not exactly Mensa grade material herself.
    It's obviously not right but it still doesn't mean someone is no good if they use terms like that - not properly educated in that regard perhaps, or just that they don't have someone in the same situation as yourself.

Again, not defending it by any matter of means... but there are worse people out there than this.... of whom i will share when i have a chance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A mean person. Has to be the absolutely worst trait in anyone (apart from violence)

I hate it. Skinflints have no good traits to balance it out either. Feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

ShmuckRyan wrote: »

People who don't like cats.

I never get this

Are people obliged to like cats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Someone who became President of the United States of America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I never get this

Are people obliged to like cats ?

Yes of course!!!! Miaow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

When he asked me what i wanted to drink and came back with a pint for himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    A long time ago now, myself and a certain "partner" were late in submitting a project.

..Now, we were mature students - I shared the fact with this "gent" that we were accepted back to college on the basis we both did a year out in an IT role, (callcentre for me).

The course tutor, and head lecturer on the course did not have a particularly high opinion of both of us.

I had a conversation with this "partner" about the impact of the lateness of our project submission.
    This "partner" assured me he had "fast - talked" [course tutor] into accepting our late submission.
    Finally this "partner" would not do any weekend study with me. Just would'nt.

I endured the graduation ceremony with him the following October. A STUPID aunt, my mother's sister, commanded me to attend the graduation ceremony. That was it.

I can see why the tutor didn't have a high opinion of you if this post is a reflection of the work you turned in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

My store manager & assistant manager were in the office on a conference call with the district manager tearing strips off them. I had got some bad news from home and went to the canteen (beside the office) just to take a few minutes to calm down and compose myself. The AM comes out of the office to go to the loo and sees me, obviously upset, and asks me what's up. I tell her and she gives me a 30 second pep talk before going back into the office. 30 seconds later she comes back out and heads off to the sales floor. I thought nothing of it until about a week later when I was chatting to the SM about something and mentioned the conference call. "Oh yeah," she said, "**** was telling me about how upset you were that day, she asked if she could leave the conference call & come out to you to calm you down. I felt awful for you but was raging that I had to deal with the call on my own." :eek: :mad:
    I was speechless at first but soon corrected her on where her AM had gone to after leaving her to deal with the sh1tst0rm on the call!!! I haven't been able to look at the AM the same since.

So the awful person in this story is you I take it?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Fuxk sake, you just ruined that movie for me!

You think that's bad? Wait'll you see The Crying Game. Yer one's really a bloke in a dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lies.

I hate people who lie. Had a friend miss a meet up, just lunch. Texted her. 24 hours later she said she had been stuck at work and had forgotten her phone. She was stumped when I pointed out that there was about 30 people with mobiles at her workplace. She then said she had forgotten about lunch. But damage was done. Tore a strip off her, got a few messages afterwards where she was clearly trying to slide back into the friendship thing, told her that wasn't happening.

Didn't you say you are a solicitor before on here?
    Which let's be honest entails lying "stretching" the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    A long time ago now, myself and a certain "partner" were late in submitting a project.

..Now, we were mature students - I shared the fact with this "gent" that we were accepted back to college on the basis we both did a year out in an IT role, (callcentre for me).

The course tutor, and head lecturer on the course did not have a particularly high opinion of both of us.

I had a conversation with this "partner" about the impact of the lateness of our project submission.
    This "partner" assured me he had "fast - talked" [course tutor] into accepting our late submission.
    Finally this "partner" would not do any weekend study with me. Just would'nt.

I endured the graduation ceremony with him the following October. A STUPID aunt, my mother's sister, commanded me to attend the graduation ceremony. That was it.

I've gone back a couple of times to re-read this but I can't make sense of it. Somebody explain it to me.

Is the bit about working in a call center significant in a way I don't understand? Is it code for something?

Are the "gent" and the "partner" the same person? Is that why they're both in pointless inverted commas? What did he/they do that was so terrible?

I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

So the awful person in this story is you I take it?

No, the AM using what happened to me to score points for being a 'caring manager with great people skills' with the district manager on the conference call when in actual fact she didn't give a fluck what happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    I can see why the tutor didn't have a high opinion of you if this post is a reflection of the work you turned in.....

OK. I'll always be a ne'er do well then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Whenever someone talks a lot of ****e about people, it's a red flag for me. There's a girl in my vocal studio who loves to talk about other students' flaws. She always veers the conversation in that direction. And I started distancing myself from her. I'm sure if she's willing to talk about others in that way, she's more than happy to talk about me like that.
    And once, at an audition, while we were waiting for the placement results, she told me, "I wish they would post the results so I could get ready to sing tonight (the winner sang in a concert that evening) and you could go home." Prior to that, I had said that I didn't think I would win, but you still don't say that to someone. :(

I ended up winning that audition and stayed to sing in the concert, and she did not make the top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Lies.

I hate people who lie. Had a friend miss a meet up, just lunch. Texted her. 24 hours later she said she had been stuck at work and had forgotten her phone. She was stumped when I pointed out that there was about 30 people with mobiles at her workplace. She then said she had forgotten about lunch. But damage was done. Tore a strip off her, got a few messages afterwards where she was clearly trying to slide back into the friendship thing, told her that wasn't happening.

That's a few times you mentioned about tearing strips or verbally running through someone etc.

I'd say the reality is a lot less dramatic but in any case, be careful you don't act the tough man to the wrong type some day.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's a few times you mentioned about tearing strips or verbally running through someone etc.

I'd say the reality is a lot less dramatic but in any case, be careful you don't act the tough man to the wrong type some day.

Being honest and sincere and telling someone their behaviour has been unacceptable? I do it frequently in my job, I have done it to a couple of former friends. What are they gonna do, beat me up in my office? Get real.

And being sincere is not acting the tough man. I deal with adults. In the adult world, where people behave badly, they can and should expect a bollocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Candie wrote: »
    I regularly picked up a coffee for someone I used to work with if I was going out to get something for myself. I got him maybe ten coffees over a few months. He never offered to pay me for them, and I didn't expect him to.

The one and only time he asked me if I wanted something, he put it on the desk when he came in, took out the receipt to show me what I owed him and asked me to pay him immediately, which I did. It was a small chocolate bar, about a third of the price of one coffee.

I've been put off people before but that's the smallest thing I can think of.

THE worst. That stuff drives me ape.

I remember sharing a house with 2 lads I worked with. Two of us would end up buying most of the basics (tea, bread etc), and the other would just consume most of it. He'd have cereal probably twice a day and would use the last of the the milk without replacing it, go to the fridge the next day and complain "no milk, lads?", and then have toast instead. The next day it would be "no milk and no bread, lads?" Would go a couple of days without what he wanted until eventually me or the other lad would buy some (because, you know, we liked them too occasionally!), and straight away back on his cereals or toast.

House sharing with others is not good for the soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

People who won't wash the plastics and tins they put in the green bin - what, they're better than the people who have to handle the stuff?

Drivers who park in bike lanes, shout at other road users - in fact anyone who drives those short journeys of less than 5km - are they so precious that the world's precious fossil fuel should be used to drag their entitled arses around?

An ex-friend who always had excellent but untrue gossip about everyone (including of course me, as I later worked out…) Should have known to steer clear of her when she used to steal the toilet rolls from pubs and bring them home to the flat as her contribution.

Chuchote wrote: »
    People who won't wash the plastics and tins they put in the green bin - what, they're better than the people who have to handle the stuff?

Drivers who park in bike lanes, shout at other road users - in fact anyone who drives those short journeys of less than 5km - are they so precious that the world's precious fossil fuel should be used to drag their entitled arses around?

An ex-friend who always had excellent but untrue gossip about everyone (including of course me, as I later worked out…) Should have known to steer clear of her when she used to steal the toilet rolls from pubs and bring them home to the flat as her contribution.

A 5km journey not requiring an automobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    A 5km journey not requiring an automobile?

15 minutes on a bike ffs

Chuchote wrote: »
    15 minutes on a bike ffs

I refuse to cycle. I am not a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Myself and a buddy gave a lend of a few quid (relatively small amount) to a mate who was stuck on holidays. He never mentioned it again or attempted to pay back despite another mutual friend mentioning it to him multiple times throughout a few years. I could have directly asked for the money but it wasn't much. I know now that the guys not worth his salt so it no big deal. In more general terms I don't understand people not paying for good/services. Have a mate who does building work and he comes across people occasionally who get the work done and just don't pay. They should be burned off the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Lies.

Being honest and sincere and telling someone their behaviour has been unacceptable? I do it frequently in my job, I have done it to a couple of former friends. What are they gonna do, beat me up in my office? Get real.

And being sincere is not acting the tough man. I deal with adults. In the adult world, where people behave badly, they can and should expect a bollocking.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: With.... but not like!

Maybe, just maybe, this poor girl either forgot (or possibly dodged) lunch and knowing full well the bitch fest that would ensue (you apparently are quite prone to them), told you she forgot her phone? Sounds to me like if she'd rang you and said she couldn't make it, you'd have probably thrown one of your little tantrums.

Also, if I was her, and I did genuinely forget my phone - it wouldn't make any difference if I was in the carphone warehouse and they were handing out free phones, I wouldn't have a god damn clue what your number was. I'm not rain man, I haven't got my contacts memorised.

I know 2 numbers for certain, - my missus and myself, but friends, colleagues, my own kids even - I haven't a notion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Lies.

A fellow I used to know (used being the appropriate word) always told tall tales, no matter what the situation, and expected you to believe them no matter what.

One such story was the first time he was disproved with absolutely no way to say otherwise; this pinpoints where his false persona began to fall apart. One day at my coop it went something like "Uh yeah I did 150 miles on the road into the town last night" in his hipster accent, with upward incline at the end. When the chap opened the bonnet, I immediately noticed that the turbo wastegate wasn't connected to the turbo, meaning the car wouldn't be able to develop the power to reach that speed (if it could do it to begin with) unless it was pushed off a cliff (where it probably belonged) This was casually pointed out and the reception I got wasn't what I had anticipated...

Another few traits are where someone always asks for lends of money with no intent or means of giving it back, abusing generosity, taking credit for your own work and going behind your back (with a fairly rubbish attempt to try chat up their mates girlfriends at the time) Coincidentally, the aforementioned had all these traits!

I'm beginning to see a pattern there... :confused:

Advertisement