Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you make of our international cuisine?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Szechuan cuisine is very spicy.

True Szechuan dishes are extremely tasty and by far my dish of choice when I go to a good Chinese restaurant/takeaway.

However, many Chinese restaurants (especially the fancier ones surprisingly) tend to treat a Szechuan dish as an extension of a Satay dish, and they can be extremely disappointing.

Also, what's up with the sweeter than spicy spice bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Ah you just havent tried some of the hidden gems that do pizza so ;)

[...]

Real Naples-style pizza has very strict requirement. Among other things you need an oven capable of 905 degrees F. I've never found anything like a real Neapolitan pie in Dublin. If you know of a place please share.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Well its also probably because eating out is something that is regularly done in France and has been for the last god knows how long. Its something that dates back to Roman times and since the Romans never came to Hibernia eating has only popular here in the last 20 or so years.

Or maybe it's that you're looking very narrowly at the cost of doing business. In Ireland staffing is just one of a huge list of reasons why prices are high and they're one of the last things I'd blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They range from about €14 to €20, yes.

If that's too rich for your blood you could get a frozen job from Aldi or try McDonalds down the road.

Do people seriously expect to eat out well in Dublin 2017 for a tenner or something?

In 2010 I paid 4.50 for a pizza in a small, simple restaurant in Gent, Belgium.

So, yes, I do expect pizza to be 10.00 in Dublin.

It often isn't, but it should be,

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Staff in Ireland are overpaid just like all workers here. Inflation here means prices will keep going up and up and up.

No.

Our min wage is very close to the German min wage.

Pizza is from 9.50 in a restaurant in central Berlin.

http://www.marinelli-berlin.de/speisekarte

Non-wage costs are too high here.

• Advertisement

Well, what is crazy is the costs associated with running a business in Ireland.
    Eating out in Germany is generally a lot cheaper than Ireland and that is certainly not because Germany is a low-cost, low wage economy with less hygiene and health and saftey demands than Ireland, but Ireland is an STB* country. You get fcuked for rates, insurance and tax to an extend that you simply wouldn't see anywhere else.
    Anyhwere else a tax is "we have to regulate the market and make sure the government gets a fair cut" in Ireland it's "Ah jaysis, you want to make some money, we'll soon see about that, bend over that barrel please and bite down on that, sorry, there is no lube".
    At least for small to medium businesses resident and originating in Ireland. It's like the government wants to destroy that entire scene. The philosophy is "tax take is down 20% because businesses are going bankrupt". "Well, the answer is in the question, up tax by 20%!"

Screw the Bastard (for anything you can get)
    This is because Ireland is a small island with little competition. Remember when we were all "unpatriotic" when we followed Mary Harney's advice and shopped around on the internet? I remember when wood pellet burners had a price rise exactly equivalent to the government grant that was offered at the time. In fact you could import the exact same burner from Italy to Ireland for less money than you could get it from a shop and after deducting the grant. And not just a bit, I think the price was roughly half.

Note that taxes are way higher in Germany than here.

The high prices here are due to other reasons.

One of which you mention, massive gross profit margins here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Is there any good Chinese restaurant in Ireland??

I’ve yet to find one.

What we are being served up as Chinese food is very unrepresentative of good Chinese cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

flaneur wrote: »

I’ve yet to find one.

What we are being served up as Chinese food is very unrepresentative of good Chinese cuisine.
    There is, or at least was, a great Szechuan place on cathedral street off o Connell street. Don't get the Irish menu, and don't let them tell you the broth will be too spicy. We went there and got huge heaping plates of raw meat and seafood to dip in the broth at our own pace and it was one of the best meals I ever had in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I’ve yet to find one.

Lee Kee on Parnell St is decent

I’ve yet to find one.

China Sichuan in Sandyford is very nice, though quite pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

blackdog2 wrote: »

Apparently the plumbing is quite poor there however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

JCX BXC wrote: »
    blackdog2 wrote: »

Apparently the plumbing is quite poor there however.
    Bravo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I’ve yet to find one.

My brother is going out with a Chinese girl, and he tells me when he enters a Chinese restaurant with her, they get presented with entirely different menus. Now, this is in Germany, but I'd be very surprised if it wouldn't happen here, too.
    Make friends with a Chinese person and find out!

Other than that, there used to be a place in Patrickswell, Co Limerick, that was doing a kind of modern Chinese cuisine. I can't vouch for how authentic it is, but it was very different, and very, very tasty indeed. Not sure it's still open, though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The range and quality of food available in Ireland today is incomparable to even 20 years ago. There has been a revolution in eating out, mainly due to the fact that we are much more wealthy now and the influence of international travel.

Chinese cuisine here has generally taken a nosedive in recent years - especially take always. Indian has kept a relatively good standard. French has been here the longest followed by Italian. Thai is good, as is Indonesian. Mexican is coming along nicely.

Compared to the alpha mega world cities, Dublin still has a relatively limited range of ethnic cuisine but it is far better than it used to be, when having a Chinese take away was a rare treat and a big novelty.

And there has been a revolution in Irish cuisine too.

But I agree with those who say pizza here is grossly overpriced. It's an utter rip off and there is no justification for it other than pure profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I’ve yet to find one.

Try any of the well rated ones on the Gardiner street end of Parnell street, M&L Cathedral on cathedral street or one of the well rated ones on Capel street.

They are rammed with chinese, malay and other ethnic chinese expats eating authentic regional chinese food.

Advertisement