Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you make of our international cuisine?

Options
  • 22-08-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

chinese, mexican, indian...how do you feel about our efforts with these foods? do you feel its authentic?

i like the indian, chinese is not bad, servicable for what it is, depends where you go.

italian..obviously a lot more to it than just pizza and pasta but thats what id go for, the restaurant stuff is not bad at all...takeaway is good for what it is.

Comments

I have lived years in Dublin, never had a good pizza here. I think ovens not wood, not hot enough, ingredients not fresh enough and too much

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have lived years in Dublin, never had a good pizza here. I think ovens not wood, not hot enough, ingredients not fresh enough and too much

Ah you just havent tried some of the hidden gems that do pizza so ;)

Alot of the different cuisines are passable but a good few leave alot to be desired. Indian has improved alot, chinese (From my experience) seems to have gotten worse over the last few years. Chipper...... since they changed the fat they use in the fryer its not as nice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have you eaten here?

http://www.damimmo.ie/

Small enough place but the best Italian food in Dublin. Now I want a pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When I go out for a Chinese meal, I usually have fried rice, chicken and chips. I don't like spicy food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

RasTa wrote: »
    Have you eaten here?

The place is top class. I rarely go for the pizza there as the other mains are so good. Who'd have thought that authentic Italian food would be popular?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The place is top class. I rarely go for the pizza there as the other mains are so good. Who'd have thought that authentic Italian food would be popular?

Yeah I used to live beside it now I'm across the other side of the city and miss it a lot. Shame there is nowhere else that comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

branie2 wrote: »
    When I go out for a Chinese meal, I usually have fried rice, chicken and chips. I don't like spicy food.

Chinese isn't Spicy. Indian is, Thai is, Chinese is not. Unless it's specifically requested.

Re Pizza, Independent Pizza in Drumcondra was my favourite. Not sure if it's still as great as haven't had in years.

Have you eaten here?

Grazie :) I may try soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I like pizza and pasta as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Chinese/Indians serving chips?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It sounds very foreign all this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Chinese/Indians serving chips?

:confused:

I was in a place recently and ordered a Thai chicken curry. The waiter said half and half? I didn't really know what he meant and assumed it was half curry half rice. To my surprise it was half chips half rice even though the menu never mentioned chips. I found that strange

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Try Campo de Fiori out in Bray.

All run by Italians and I think their menu is great. All genuine Italian. Love the Pizzas.

See lots of Italians eating there which is a good sign for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Once I get my dinner served on a slate, my sides in a bucket and my drink in a jam jar, I'm happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Pig's arse and cabbage - and less of your fancy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Robsweezie wrote: »
    chinese, mexican, indian...how do you feel about our efforts with these foods? do you feel its authentic?

Having worked in a chinese restaurant and seeing what they cook for themselves prior to service, it's not even remotely similar.

You have to sell to your market and Irish people just wouldn't buy what they like to eat.

I want what they cook for themselves. It was just better

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Chinese isn't Spicy. Indian is, Thai is, Chinese is not. Unless it's specifically requested.

Re Pizza, Independent Pizza in Drumcondra was my favourite. Not sure if it's still as great as haven't had in years.

Szechuan cuisine is very spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Their is a Japanese takeaway called Sakura on Sundrive Road its lovely. Who would have thought that you couldn't get fresh Sushi delivered to your door step in Drimnagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Mexican isn't as good.wahaca in london is much better i find.chinese here is muck and thai is okay.italian is better in one or two places in cork than you get in italy.i've been to italy at least 10 times now and find it a very overated cuisine.

If that goes beyond the szechuan sauce dishes we see on menus in Chinese restaurants / takeaways then I've never tried it (but would like to) and would love a recommendation. If it refers to the aforementioned szechuan sauce dishes then no, it's not. I do enjoy a nice chicken or duck szechuan but spicy it ain't.

ETA: In my opinion of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Where's the champion butter hi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Bacon and cabbage.
    Spuds everyday.
    Roast beef on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If that goes beyond the szechuan sauce dishes we see on menus in Chinese restaurants / takeaways then I've never tried it (but would like to) and would love a recommendation. If it refers to the aforementioned szechuan sauce dishes then no, it's not. I do enjoy a nice chicken or duck szechuan but spicy it ain't.

Szechuan is more famous for its hot pots, Szechuan peppers are more tongue numbing then spicy but the also add a lot of red peppers for heat too

Also try Tofoli in the city centre. A tiny place, opens irregular hours. Run by an Italian also. I think the pizza is excellent. Service is eccentric but fun.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d1444280-Reviews-Bottega_Toffoli-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Szechuan is more famous for its hot pots, Szechuan peppers are more tongue numbing then spicy but the also add a lot of red peppers for heat too

Thanks for the info. I love spicy food (and hotpot) so like the sound of that. I suspected I was missing something as the typical dishes I mentioned while advertised as spicy on a menu are not. Surprised I've never seen those hotpots on a menu here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Tadka House in Rathmines do a lovely Indian.

Now I'm hungry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Is there such a thing as good Chinese food in Ireland?

Personal favourite international food in Ireland right now is Miyazaki in Cork. Been to Japan many times as this place is as authentic as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Oranage2 wrote: »

Thanks for the info. I love spicy food (and hotpot) so like the sound of that. I suspected I was missing something as the typical dishes I mentioned while advertised as spicy on a menu are not. Surprised I've never seen those hotpots on a menu here.

Most the food in Chinese takeaways in nothing like food you get in China, though Peking duck and curry are pretty similar, though other dishes like chow mein and kung pao chicken are nothing alike.

Chinese dishes are usually full of vegetables and little amount of boney or grizzily meat.

Try pearse street in Dublin there are some restaurants that cater to main land Chinese people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Have you eaten here?

Off topic, I apologise but.............

I'm sure that it is a lovely spot but when I look at some of the prices, I can't believe it.

I spent time in Sicily this summer. The most that I paid for a pizza was €5 in a restaurant. This was a seafood pizza!

Whilst I acknowledge the difference in overheads, importation of raw materials etc, charging €14 for a pizza is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Also try Tofoli in the city centre. A tiny place, opens irregular hours. Run by an Italian also. I think the pizza is excellent. Service is eccentric but fun.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d1444280-Reviews-Bottega_Toffoli-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Jesus, €21 for a pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement